PDA

View Full Version : Payroll Software

bnclawncare
08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi All, I am looking at the need to buy a payroll software. Please give your advise and any thoughts about the software that you use. Thanks in advance.

daddy03w
01-14-2013, 12:08 AM
I am getting ready to look into it with my bank. They have it available if you have a business account. My bank is Chase.

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/smallbusiness/home/page/business-banking

dpld
01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
i use ADP and even though it cost me something like 60 bucks a week it saves me the trouble of doing it myself as well as if anything is filed incorrectly it falls on them.

i also like that they automatically send out the W-2's in january as well.

i am sure you already have things in place and it may not apply to you but anyone looking to go legit with paying people on the books, make sure you have workers comp policy in place that dates back to when your payroll started or before hand.
once the state starts getting payroll taxes in they will at some point in time be asking for the information for your workers comp insurance to have on file.

one of my friends got the wheels in motion to go legit a couple years back when he started and even though he had workers comp the policy started a few days after his first reported date of payroll and the good old state of NJ opened up a can of whoop @zz on him.
they actually fined him for not carrying workers comp for his employees because he had a half a pay period with no coverage in the beginning.

sad but true.

most people that i know that do it themselves use a quickbooks software or something similar but quickbooks have been doing it the longest so they would be my first choice if i were to do it myself.

i know some guys starting out need to watch their spending and choose to do it themselves but at this stage in business for me it is easier to eat the 60 bucks or so and let someone else handle it.
all i have to do is call in the hours for each employee by wednesday to have the checks by friday.

i would also suggest going to a every two week pay period or at least holding a week back.
being landscape business owners and we only get paid once a month it makes it easier to keep up without putting you in the poor house making payroll.