PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer leaking oil

wat5150
08-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Quick question. Im thinking about buying a 2800 psi pressure washer with a honda engine. Ive only got the sellers email at the moment and getting info from him is like pulling teeth. Anyway he has this washer and says it runs and goes just fine but it has an oil leak. Its only like 2 years old from what he tells me and hasnt been used that much. He says it leaks from the top..thats all I got out of him so far. Ive got to get in touch with him again and get these answers I know but anyone have any experience with this? Im thinking it may be a gasket. Anyway the guy will take $75 for it. If its an easy fix on a newer washer could be great deal.

willshome
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
I would find out how much oil it is leaking if its just a little who cares, how much do you use it

wandfsmall
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Quick question. Im thinking about buying a 2800 psi pressure washer with a honda engine. Ive only got the sellers email at the moment and getting info from him is like pulling teeth. Anyway he has this washer and says it runs and goes just fine but it has an oil leak. Its only like 2 years old from what he tells me and hasnt been used that much. He says it leaks from the top..thats all I got out of him so far. Ive got to get in touch with him again and get these answers I know but anyone have any experience with this? Im thinking it may be a gasket. Anyway the guy will take $75 for it. If its an easy fix on a newer washer could be great deal.

Hard to say without looking at the unit but it could be something major. It is really impossible to troubleshoot problems like that on the internet you would have to look for where it is leaking to figure out the problem.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I'd pass on it..If he was just a basic do it yourselfer He'd a baught an electric pressure washer unit but since its gas...odds are he's pretty knowledgeable...knows its a major issue and doesnt want to deal with it so hes pawning it off to you for next to nothing. Id buy a brand new unit. You know whats been done to it, you know how its been taken care of, and even new these things are sometimes tough to run! I bought the same...a honda 2800psi new for 389 a couple yrs ago..peace of mind knowing that I take care of my things ya know.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I wpould think it has to be a bad seal if it's leaking on top, What would bother me though and set off the bull sh*t detector is the fact that he doesn't want to tell you much...I would definately pass....Could end up costing you more than a new one would be..

wandfsmall
08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I'd pass on it..If he was just a basic do it yourselfer He'd a baught an electric pressure washer unit but since its gas...odds are he's pretty knowledgeable...knows its a major issue and doesnt want to deal with it so hes pawning it off to you for next to nothing. Id buy a brand new unit. You know whats been done to it, you know how its been taken care of, and even new these things are sometimes tough to run! I bought the same...a honda 2800psi new for 389 a couple yrs ago..peace of mind knowing that I take care of my things ya know.

I disagree here 90% of the homeowners I see around here have gas pressure washers. the commercial guys in my area normally use the $800 to $1500 pressure washers. The problem I see is it could be nothing but a blown seal that would be little money to fix but it could also be one of those pumps you can not get parts for making it worthless.

wat5150
08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I disagree here 90% of the homeowners I see around here have gas pressure washers. the commercial guys in my area normally use the $800 to $1500 pressure washers. The problem I see is it could be nothing but a blown seal that would be little money to fix but it could also be one of those pumps you can not get parts for making it worthless.

Yeah, I dont even know what brand of washer it is. Its got a Honda engine. It may be a Troy Bilt. They seem to be all over craigslist. I havent heard from the guy anyway.
Thats the problem with CL some people dont leave contact info and never answer emails and then when they do its a one word answer. Im skipping this one.

fullblast
08-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Yea I think you would be wise in letting it go.

Sounds just a little fishy.

Anything could be possible and whos to say it didn't set outside last winter and froze and broke one of the ceramic pistons.

Could run you into money quick.

The Cleaning Doctor
08-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Guys, when you are shopping for a pressure washer forget all about PSI. Hell you can't even use all that a pressure washer can produce. What you need is gallons per minute. The more water flow the faster you clean.

Pour a bag of sand on your driveway and try washing it off with your hose. Now get a fire hose hooked to the hydrant and watch it work. They both have the exact same pressure but the fire hose has more volume.

696 Signs
08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Yea I think you would be wise in letting it go.

Sounds just a little fishy.

Anything could be possible and whos to say it didn't set outside last winter and froze and broke one of the ceramic pistons.

Could run you into money quick.

Like your logo!

Tony
696 Signs

696 Signs
08-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Guys, when you are shopping for a pressure washer forget all about PSI. Hell you can't even use all that a pressure washer can produce. What you need is gallons per minute. The more water flow the faster you clean.

Pour a bag of sand on your driveway and try washing it off with your hose. Now get a fire hose hooked to the hydrant and watch it work. They both have the exact same pressure but the fire hose has more volume.

True! Most people "think" that more PSI means better...GPM and a quality pump is critical to do a job quickly and be dependable.
4GPM is a min IMO for a biz. but 5+ GPM is ideal I think.
Having hot water is also a huge plus!
(used to own a pressure cleaning biz years ago)

Tony
696 Signs

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
True! Most people "think" that more PSI means better...GPM and a quality pump is critical to do a job quickly and be dependable.
4GPM is a min IMO for a biz. but 5+ GPM is ideal I think.
Having hot water is also a huge plus!
(used to own a pressure cleaning biz years ago)

Tony
696 Signs

The problems with 4-5 gpm is if your running off a well. You run the risk of burning your pump. Thats why you see people with there own tanks and pump regulating the flow.

The poster never stated what psi or gpm the pressure washer was rated at. Just that its a honda engine. That could be a homelite, troybuilt or any other cheapo brand. The pumps in all of these are garbage. The engine doesnt matter much.

The way you figure out how powerful a pressure washer is by taking the gpm and x's by psi. IE 3000psi x 4 gpm is 12000 cleaning units. 3000psi x 2.5gpm is 7500 cleaning units.

wat5150
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
The problems with 4-5 gpm is if your running off a well. You run the risk of burning your pump. Thats why you see people with there own tanks and pump regulating the flow.

The poster never stated what psi or gpm the pressure washer was rated at. Just that its a honda engine. That could be a homelite, troybuilt or any other cheapo brand. The pumps in all of these are garbage. The engine doesnt matter much.

The way you figure out how powerful a pressure washer is by taking the gpm and x's by psi. IE 3000psi x 4 gpm is 12000 cleaning units. 3000psi x 2.5gpm is 7500 cleaning units.

Well the bottom line is I never found out what the brand was. It was posted said it had Hond engine. Im not getting it anyway, never heard back from the tool that was selling it.

fullblast
08-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks Tony.

I agree with what Pat said about the GPM. My first machine was a 4gpm and it just kept going up from there, I currently use mostly 8gpm (have 8 of them) and one 12 gpm.

I love volume!!

I think you will be happy with your decision to leave that machine.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Well the bottom line is I never found out what the brand was. It was posted said it had Hond engine. Im not getting it anyway, never heard back from the tool that was selling it.

I think your smart for letting this one go...............No need to adopt someone else's problem...

I bought a new Karcher this year, I love it..paid for itself in three weeks....