PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Rack

wat5150
08-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Going to pick up a 3 position trimmer rack today. I found it on craigs list. Its a bit of a drive but Im checking it out anyway. Only $50 and I need one so what the h#ll.

Grass Doctor
08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
post some pics if u get them :D

LawnBoy0311
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
whats the word???? did you get it?? $50 isnt bad at all!

CHEESE2009
08-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Now you can hang all the fcks I give!

LOL!!!!!

Cool man, hope they turn out great! Take pics!

wat5150
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Ill get pics tomorrow. Ive got to drill some holes in my trailer for the mounting bolts. Does anyone that has a trimmer rack have any issues with your trimmer sliding around in the brackets and getting all scuffed to sh!t? Just curious.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-05-2012, 09:11 PM
not getting scuffed but the first one I had wasnt far enough apart and bent the shafts.

wat5150
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
This one is a cheaper one. Its heavy and sturdy but it has brackets with a big pin that goes down through them. Then that pin is secured with a cotter pin. There seems to be a lot of room for the trimmer to slide and rattle around in the brackets. Maybe I will drill another hole so the pin is closer to the trimmer shaft. Not sure. I just dont want my trimmer sliding and banging and breaking the trigger, etc. Ill figure something out.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
08-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Sounds like a good idea...maybe throw some 3M cushion tape inside too to prevent scratching . Glad your drive wasn't a waste of time. Gotta love craigslist.

wat5150
08-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Got it installed. I had to shim one of the racks because the mounting bracket was a little bent. It didnt line up and was driving me a little crazy. So I still need to mess around with some cushioning in the bracket that the handle sits in(good idea Apex). Pretty simple install. Hot though, I need a beer.:D

hawthornelawncare
08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Yes use some cushioning tape. Most basic trimmer racks your equipment is going to move around. But if you have good cushion to it then it wont hurt the equipment too much..

wat5150
08-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Just put the tape on inside the brackets. I think it will work. At the very worst Ill have to replace the tape once a season.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-07-2012, 07:30 AM
I bought the Green Touch industries trimmer rack this year from Northern Tool co.. It was around $180 but well worth the money, I also got the extra engine support brackets to go with it..Very strong and reliable and I like the security as well...

wat5150
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I bought the Green Touch industries trimmer rack this year from Northern Tool co.. It was around $180 but well worth the money, I also got the extra engine support brackets to go with it..Very strong and reliable and I like the security as well...

Yeah, there are some nice secure racks out there. This one was cheap and I didnt have one. It will work. I didnt feel like spending $200 on a new one.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I here ya....You have too really watch what your spending in this business, I got that one because at the time I had the extra cash ... Good move on your part for the money , Good luck with your business...

jasonw
08-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I got mine from Lowes brand new for $70 and yes it does scuff the $hit out of the trimmers. What worries me more though is how flimsy it is, I worry about the day that the flexible mettle finally gives and I lose 3 trimmers on the highway.

wat5150
08-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I put padded 2 sided tape in the brackets. Left one side of tape uncovered so sticky side isnt exposed. Then I got some vinyl...like the stuff some lawn chairs are made of. it was a lawn chair repair kit...anyway I cut some of that and stuck it to the tape on the end that my trimmer head sits in. its really snug now and doesnt move. But I think they(the cheaper ones are poorly designed. Too much rattling around.

jasonw
08-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I used an old tube from my tiller, cut the tube and put it over the mettle, was great until the 2nd trip where the trimmers started wearing the tube on the edges. Might be a good idea to grind the edges smooth before doing anything ells to prevent it from happening again, Really though it's nothing more than an irritation, irritation that my nice trimmers got marked up, the damage to them is nothing that will hinder them from doing their job however.

I put padded 2 sided tape in the brackets. Left one side of tape uncovered so sticky side isnt exposed. Then I got some vinyl...like the stuff some lawn chairs are made of. it was a lawn chair repair kit...anyway I cut some of that and stuck it to the tape on the end that my trimmer head sits in. its really snug now and doesnt move. But I think they(the cheaper ones are poorly designed. Too much rattling around.