PDA

View Full Version : Stepped in Poop, Burned my Thumb, Locked my Keys in Truck

Hedgemaster
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Holy crap. What a day!

It started when I opened the gate at my first job. Dog poop. Everywhere.

I decided to skip it, do the neighbor's lawn, and send a text stating that if they cleaned up, I would stop back tomorrow.
Fortunately, the neighbor was home, let me know they were out of town and offered to have her son go clean it up so I could cut it while I was there. Sweet.

Mowed two more without incident. Things are going smoothly...

Started a job at a new client's house. Trim, trim, trim, mow, mow, mo-oh SH!T!
What's that SMELL?!!! Stepped right in it. :mad:

Finish up, set backpack blower on tailgate and push it into the bed. As I do so, my left thumb went right into the opening in the case for the muffler.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SONOFAB!TCH!!!!!!!!!

Grabbed my keys, unlocked the cab, and pulled out an an ice pack from the cooler on the back seat.
Closed the door and went to stand in the shade near the tailgate to cool my throbbing thumb.
After ten minutes I decided to head out and couldn't get in the truck. There were my keys sitting on the front seat - doors locked. Peachy.

Do I call my wife? She's 15 minutes away and could bring keys. Hmmm... the windows are cracked 2" - maybe I can find something to reach in and hit the power lock button...
Nope. Nothing.

Do I call my wife, or do I ask the new client if he has a wire hanger and look like an a$$? Screw it - I'm asking - I have work to get done.
He had just gotten his dry cleaning so he DID have a hanger. YAY!
Holy CRAP are those things flimsy these days! Every time I got it ON the button, it would just BEND as I pushed downward on it. SERIOUSLY?!!! UGH!

Persistence paid off and me and my throbbing thumb were able to get the door unlocked.

:cool:

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

Until I walked through a spider web. ACK!!!!

Across my legs, on my arms, in my MOUTH! I HATE those things!

Oh yeah, and the d0uchebag who called and asked for an estimate to do a one-time cut apparently found someone else to do it and didn't bother calling to let me know. Hey, it was only a 20 mile round trip.
$8 in wasted gas? No big deal.

:mad:

LawnBoy0311
08-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I had the rain cloud over me. I left and came right back. It POURED half way to the customer. I'd like to thank the hard working weather men out there who said it would be sunny today, you really did a fine job!

Not NEARLY as bad as your day though! Hows the thumb now?

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Holy crap. What a day!

It started when I opened the gate at my first job. Dog poop. Everywhere.

I decided to skip it, do the neighbor's lawn, and send a text stating that if they cleaned up, I would stop back tomorrow.
Fortunately, the neighbor was home, let me know they were out of town and offered to have her son go clean it up so I could cut it while I was there. Sweet.

Mowed two more without incident. Things are going smoothly...

Started a job at a new client's house. Trim, trim, trim, mow, mow, mo-oh SH!T!
What's that SMELL?!!! Stepped right in it. :mad:

Finish up, set backpack blower on tailgate and push it into the bed. As I do so, my left thumb went right into the opening in the case for the muffler.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

SONOFAB!TCH!!!!!!!!!

Grabbed my keys, unlocked the cab, and pulled out an an ice pack from the cooler on the back seat.
Closed the door and went to stand in the shade near the tailgate to cool my throbbing thumb.
After ten minutes I decided to head out and couldn't get in the truck. There were my keys sitting on the front seat - doors locked. Peachy.

Do I call my wife? She's 15 minutes away and could bring keys. Hmmm... the windows are cracked 2" - maybe I can find something to reach in and hit the power lock button...
Nope. Nothing.

Do I call my wife, or do I ask the new client if he has a wire hanger and look like an a$$? Screw it - I'm asking - I have work to get done.
He had just gotten his dry cleaning so he DID have a hanger. YAY!
Holy CRAP are those things flimsy these days! Every time I got it ON the button, it would just BEND as I pushed downward on it. SERIOUSLY?!!! UGH!

Persistence paid off and me and my throbbing thumb were able to get the door unlocked.

:cool:

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

Until I walked through a spider web. ACK!!!!

Across my legs, on my arms, in my MOUTH! I HATE those things!

Oh yeah, and the d0uchebag who called and asked for an estimate to do a one-time cut apparently found someone else to do it and didn't bother calling to let me know. Hey, it was only a 20 mile round trip.
$8 in wasted gas? No big deal.

:mad:

Sounds like the average day for me at work, i seem to have the worth luck and always end up getting hurt somehow, or something goes wrong.

Hedgemaster
08-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Thumb should be fine.

I don't know if it will blister later, but right now there's a hard spot near the tip. Make the "OK" symbol and right where your finger touches your thumb is where it was burned.
I've been burned worse, but it freaked me out when it happened 'cause I felt my thumb PUSH into the hot muffler.

Good thing I don't need my thumbprint to gain access to secret underground facilities.

Hedgeaccessdeniedmaster

Lopes Lawn Care
08-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Wow man that really sucks. I had one of those days yesterday too. Tailgate on my truck popped open dumping my honda w/b out while I was driving with a trailer. How I didn't run it over is beyond me. Drive handle fell off and pull chord handle ripped out. I never have my mower back there. Only today cause I went out to do a small property that I can't get my trailer into.

Then, last lawn of the day my new (sept) stihl br600 blower decides to seize on me. Why? I have no clue. haha.

and then... I go back to pick up the pull chord handle (spotted it from the road)and before I can get there we get hit by some crazy flash flood sh** (which never happens here) and it washes away in the river that was once a road.

In conclusion, the mower is 100% fine. I replaced the pull chord handle with a spare I had and the blower is in the shop. Moral of the story? Some days suck but you just gotta keep on truckin.

Hope your thumb is back to thumb wrestling strength asap! :D

CHEESE2009
08-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I was talking to a client while filling my show with gasoline rather than the trimmer.

That sucked, but not as bad as burning my thumb lol.. That'll ruin the week!

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 06:28 AM
It sounds like yesterday was a very unlucky day for a lot of people...and to think it wasn't even friday the 13th.

Hedgemaster
08-03-2012, 12:30 PM
That blower is cursed.

I just whacked my elbow getting it out!

ooooowwww!

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Hang in there guys, the weekend is almost here:D

Hedgemaster
08-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I didn't make it to the weekend unscathed.

Next to last cut I hit a water shutoff pipe sticking out of the ground near the street.
Stopped the mower cold. I actually ripped thesteel cap off.
My blade is thirteen shades of fu˘ked.

Then I show up at my last cut and it's already been cut!

Ugh. Father payed me yesterday for a one time cut. Son didn't know and cut it.

That is how my week ended.

:D

Hedgemaster
08-03-2012, 05:44 PM
And ants. I forgot to mention the ants.

Ants all over me. I was trimming and pushed in under a small tree and when I came back out in the open there were ants all over my shirt and my right arm!

Musta' been on the tree branches.

myblacktruck
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
It was 1 of those days for me too. I was using the push mower on a hill yesterday and didn't see the brick in the high grass stopped it dead. I bent the blade and broke the deck on the discharge side

Hedgemaster
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
It was 1 of those days for me too. I was using the push mower on a hill yesterday and didn't see the brick in the high grass stopped it dead. I bent the blade and broke the deck on the discharge side

OK. I can't complain. At least I only mangled the cutting edge of my blade.

I'm just glad I took my older mower today instead of the brand new one!

CHEESE2009
08-06-2012, 12:28 AM
and Ants. I Forgot To Mention The Ants.

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hedgemaster
08-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I made it home in one piece today. :D

No burns, no poop, and no ants either.

myblacktruck
08-06-2012, 07:11 PM
OK. I can't complain. At least I only mangled the cutting edge of my blade.

I'm just glad I took my older mower today instead of the brand new one!

It was an older mower but still cut great. Gonna see if we can't patch it back up, had that mower for years.

Hedgemaster
06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Thread revival. I can look back and laugh now.

:D

Steve
06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Looking back over the older posts, do you see a lot of growth and lessons learned from all these experiences?

Hedgemaster
06-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Looking back over the older posts, do you see a lot of growth and lessons learned from all these experiences?

What I've learned:

Never, ever place your keys in the truck unless it's in the ignition. (my doors won't lock with the key in ignition)

Never, ever attempt to hide your identity by searing off your thumbprint on a hot muffler. It hurts.

Don't step in dog poop. If you do, seriously consider dropping the offending client.

:p

Ryan's Lawn Care
06-20-2013, 11:03 PM
When I'm away from my truck and lock it up i put the key in the side compartment in the bed at the back the 05 and newer tacomas have this im glad because ive always worried about locking my keys in and walking home lol.

ratchetmaster2
06-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Why bother locking your vehicle? All the good stuff to steal is in the back, i.e. your equipment.

Ok, maybe not for all of you, but for me it's true.
"oh, you want to take advantage of my unlocked door and rifle through the belongings in my truck? Feel free. If you need some napkins, I got you. Oh yeah, you can go ahead and take the faceplate off of a 7 year old radio. You're thirsty? Great, I got a water bottle in there somewhere."

That's about it. I just leave all my windows down and leave the keys right on the seat. Nobody can drive it because it's a stick shift. I don't want my truck to be all hot when I get back, so why not? Anything to steal is in the bed anyway.
Besides, if by some freak accident, a projectile goes flying towards my truck, I would MUCH prefer it not break glass.

Some days are just crappy though. One time I was mowing for a first time client. It was tall grass. I was mowing..mowing..all good. I'm trimming..trimming...trimming...oh **** my trimming hit a pile of dog **** and spit it ALL over me. It was concealed perfectly in the tall grass. Man, I had the owner pay for dry cleaning my work clothes (LOL) and pay me double for the lawn.

Hedgemaster
06-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Why bother locking your vehicle? All the good stuff to steal is in the back, i.e. your equipment.

Ok, maybe not for all of you, but for me it's true.
"oh, you want to take advantage of my unlocked door and rifle through the belongings in my truck? Feel free. If you need some napkins, I got you. Oh yeah, you can go ahead and take the faceplate off of a 7 year old radio. You're thirsty? Great, I got a water bottle in there somewhere."

That's about it. I just leave all my windows down and leave the keys right on the seat. Nobody can drive it because it's a stick shift. I don't want my truck to be all hot when I get back, so why not? Anything to steal is in the bed anyway.
Besides, if by some freak accident, a projectile goes flying towards my truck, I would MUCH prefer it not break glass.

Some days are just crappy though. One time I was mowing for a first time client. It was tall grass. I was mowing..mowing..all good. I'm trimming..trimming...trimming...oh **** my trimming hit a pile of dog **** and spit it ALL over me. It was concealed perfectly in the tall grass. Man, I had the owner pay for dry cleaning my work clothes (LOL) and pay me double for the lawn.

If I'm in certain areas, I lock the back too! (truck cap)

ratchetmaster2
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
If I'm in certain areas, I lock the back too! (truck cap)

truck cap? How do you feel about those? Of course, you will have a biased opinion because you have one, but I'm curious.

I feel like they could be useful, but also restricting because of the roof

Hedgemaster
07-01-2013, 10:58 AM
truck cap? How do you feel about those? Of course, you will have a biased opinion because you have one, but I'm curious.

I feel like they could be useful, but also restricting because of the roof

There's your answer!

I'm not "biased", I just use the setup that works best for me.

For someone who wants to haul dirt, mulch, debris back there, a cap is obviously not going to work.
I work solo and I'm 45, so I really don't do a lot of hardcore, back-breaking work because I still need to be able to WORK, and can't risk hurting myself by overdoing it.
If I need to haul away debris, I have my trailer.

So far it has worked just fine for me. All my tools are in the truck bed and out of the elements. Some days I use the cargo carrier in the receiver to haul the push mower rather than dragging a trailer around, so I need all my other tools to stay in the bed.
I keep them there even if I'm towing my trailer with the walk behind and push mower. No trimmer racks on the trailer - none needed. It's best to keep the hand tools in the place that works for both setups - nothing gets forgotten and it's all in the same place every day regardless of the "towing" situation.

I like the fact that my tools aren't "out there" for the world to see. The risk of theft is reduced, while keeping them handy, and out of the elements.

It works for me. It would not work for a lot of others.

Truck with trailer...

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o483/OakLeafLawnService/Promotional/Truck%20Lettering/Truck%20Lettering%20MISC/20120813_133054.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/OakLeafLawnService/media/Promotional/Truck%20Lettering/Truck%20Lettering%20MISC/20120813_133054.jpg.html)

Truck with carrier...

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o483/OakLeafLawnService/Equipment%20and%20Truck/Toro%20Super%20Recycler%202/20120714_193632.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/OakLeafLawnService/media/Equipment%20and%20Truck/Toro%20Super%20Recycler%202/20120714_193632.jpg.html)

Partial view of bed with tools...

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o483/OakLeafLawnService/Equipment%20and%20Truck/MIsc%20Equipment/Trimmer%20Shelf/20120617_193532.jpg (http://s1144.photobucket.com/user/OakLeafLawnService/media/Equipment%20and%20Truck/MIsc%20Equipment/Trimmer%20Shelf/20120617_193532.jpg.html)

ratchetmaster2
07-01-2013, 11:27 AM
That's pretty well done. I agree. I like the uniformity of it. It's still a truck, but looks more refined. Just curious, what Toro push mower is that?

Hedgemaster
07-01-2013, 11:49 AM
That's pretty well done. I agree. I like the uniformity of it. It's still a truck, but looks more refined. Just curious, what Toro push mower is that?

Toro SR4 Super Recycler (http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Walk-Power-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=20382-PersonalPaceHonda)

Not commercial, but I've been happy with it.
(well, except for the Honda engine... not impressed)

Hedgemaster
07-01-2013, 05:43 PM
In keeping with the theme of this thread, I got stung on the finger by a yellow jacket today.

:mad: :mad:

I felt something on my head - under my HAT. It must have gone in the hole in the back (ball cap) and I felt something and freaked out, throwing my hat off and brushing away whatever it was. That's when it found my hand and BAM!!!

Stung at the base of the middle finger on the palm side. Swelled up to the point where I couldn't make a fist and could barely hold the handle on the trimmer.

Ooowwwwwwww...

myblacktruck
07-02-2013, 05:32 AM
In keeping with the theme of this thread, I got stung on the finger by a yellow jacket today.

:mad: :mad:

I felt something on my head - under my HAT. It must have gone in the hole in the back (ball cap) and I felt something and freaked out, throwing my hat off and brushing away whatever it was. That's when it found my hand and BAM!!!

Stung at the base of the middle finger on the palm side. Swelled up to the point where I couldn't make a fist and could barely hold the handle on the trimmer.

Ooowwwwwwww...

Hate the dam bee's. The next time you get stung quick grab a rag and dump a little gas on it & wipe where ya got stung. My brother in law told my nephew about this, and while we were cutting one last year he got stung like 4 or 5 times ouch. Goes over to my trailer and tried this then called his dad and thanked him for the tip cause the pain was gone smelled like gas the rest of day but no pain