PDA

View Full Version : Marketing plan

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I need to do something to attract a few clients off the bat. There is a higher income housing development pretty close by.

I'm thinking of sending out postcards to the development maybe 3-4 mailings. If I can land at least 1 customer in their, then I can start to build a referral base.

What do you guys think about this?

Sprinkler Buddy
08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Doing one lawn at a reduced rate for a year in that neighborhood may be a way to go. Post cards are expensive and often gives back a poor response.

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Doing one lawn at a reduced rate for a year in that neighborhood may be a way to go. Post cards are expensive and often gives back a poor response.

How do I even go about getting a customer in that neighborhood though?

I was thinking a few mailings of a postcard with deals on them like pay for 4 mowings and get the 5th one free, or something else.

Sprinkler Buddy
08-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Drive the neighborhood and look for some of the easiest yards to do. Tell them your wanting to get your foot in the door in their neighborhood and you would be willing to do their yard for X to do so for X period of time.

Make them an offer they can't refuse. Once your in, if your good, folks will take notice.

Also make sure to tell them to keep their price to themselves. You don't want the reputation of being the cheapest guy around.

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Drive the neighborhood and look for some of the easiest yards to do. Tell them your wanting to get your foot in the door in their neighborhood and you would be willing to do their yard for X to do so for X period of time.

Make them an offer they can't refuse. Once your in, if your good, folks will take notice.

Also make sure to tell them to keep their price to themselves. You don't want the reputation of being the cheapest guy around.

Well thats honestly what I want to avoid. I certainly don't like salesmen coming to my door, and here you need permits to go door to door and you have to pay monthly for them.

wat5150
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Just go start mowing a couple lawns in that neighborhood. Then just send the people a bill.:cool:

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Just go start mowing a couple lawns in that neighborhood. Then just send the people a bill.:cool:

Hahahahaha...I don't know how well that would go....

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM

TruGreen does it with spraying so I say go for it with mowings. If the homeowner comes out just run him and his mower down.

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
TruGreen does it with spraying so I say go for it with mowings. If the homeowner comes out just run him and his mower down.

I can just feel the impending lawsuits coming.

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
For $100 I could send a postcard to all of the houses in that development, not a bad price especially if I even got just one client.

Hedgemaster
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Is there a Craigslist listing for your area?

I'm just asking because you keep posting everywhere that you need customers, but have little money to advertise. Free is free and just because some people say that all you get is terrible, cheap clients from CL, that only happens if you let it.

I had great success using CL last season. Not as good this season, but really, all sorts of people look there for services.

That said, $100 to target a specific cluster of homes that you'd really like to get "in" with might not be a bad deal if you pick up a few of them.

What's $100 in the grand scheme of things anyway? You'll put that much in your gas tank every week.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-02-2012, 09:41 PM
That said, $100 to target a specific cluster of homes that you'd really like to get "in" with might not be a bad deal if you pick up a few of them.

What's $100 in the grand scheme of things anyway? You'll put that much in your gas tank every week.

I think thats a good idea also since its targeted. Typically people pay to do whole neighborhoods and you get a lot of apartments, condos, and general people that wont pay for service.

Sprinkler Buddy
08-03-2012, 06:06 AM
For $100 I could send a postcard to all of the houses in that development, not a bad price especially if I even got just one client.

With that amount of $, you can't go wrong. Even if no one calls, you haven't lost much. Go for it!

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Is there a Craigslist listing for your area?

I'm just asking because you keep posting everywhere that you need customers, but have little money to advertise. Free is free and just because some people say that all you get is terrible, cheap clients from CL, that only happens if you let it.

I had great success using CL last season. Not as good this season, but really, all sorts of people look there for services.

There isn't one for my specific area but there is one for harrisburg. I had a listing up for about a month, it got flagged for removal yesterday, I don't know why. I had one person visit my website from it, but they were in Michigan.

Its not that I don't have the money to advertise, I just don't want to spend a whole lot right now on advertising. I would rather wait until fall and advertise cleanups, or wait until spring and really advertise my lawn service.

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 06:49 AM
For my postcards this is what I'm thinking of including
1. Pay for 4 mowings and get the 5th free
2. Be the first new customer in your neighborhood and receive 15% off your first month of service
3.Receive 5$ for every friend or family that hires me from your referrals.

I think i'm going to make a customer appreciation page on my site that goes more into depth of the customer referral.

What do you guys think?

PVMS
08-03-2012, 07:06 AM
For my postcards this is what I'm thinking of including
1. Pay for 4 mowings and get the 5th free
2. Be the first new customer in your neighborhood and receive 15% off your first month of service
3.Receive 5$ for every friend or family that hires me from your referrals.

I think i'm going to make a customer appreciation page on my site that goes more into depth of the customer referral.

What do you guys think?

This attack is very common, and,....i'm afraid useless. You need to market a fair dinkum offer with no BS attached to get the phone ringing.
People want a great offer today,....not in a month or two, and after finally finding a great customer, you then have to do a free mow?
Better off doing the opposite and use it to quickly weed out customers who you don't want.
eg: instead of offering a percentage off, make an offer of x$$$$$ off your first mow!
Make it clear that it a one off per customer. Make an offer that at least covers your expenses minus labour,but seems too good to refuse,.... and I will guarantee that you will build a client base very fast.
Once you have your foot in the door, have done a good job first time, ....they will accept your full price quote, almost whatever you ask.
The main thing people decide on when choosing somebody, is how much they like you as a person, followed by your work standard, and lastly price.

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 07:09 AM
This attack is very common, and,....i'm afraid useless. You need to market a fair dinkum offer with no BS attached to get the phone ringing.
People want a great offer today,....not in a month or two, and after finally finding a great customer, you then have to do a free mow?
Better off doing the opposite and use it to quickly weed out customers who you don't want.
eg: instead of offering a percentage off, make an offer of x$$$$$ off your first mow!
Make it clear that it a one off per customer. Make an offer that at least covers your expenses minus labour,but seems too good to refuse,.... and I will guarantee that you will build a client base very fast.
Once you have your foot in the door, have done a good job first time, ....they will accept your full price quote, almost whatever you ask.
The main thing people decide on when choosing somebody, is how much they like you as a person, followed by your work standard, and lastly price.

Thank you.

So say something like "$15 off your first service" and then something like "$5 off your monthly service for every friend or family member you refer to me"

Or something like $30 flat fee mowing for 2 months for the first 5 new customers? Something to get them hooked quick.

PVMS
08-03-2012, 07:34 AM
To add further,.....the opposite is true before they pick up the phone, so one off offers do get the phone ringing.

PVMS
08-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Thank you.

So say something like "$15 off your first service" and then something like "$5 off your monthly service for every friend or family member you refer to me"

Or something like $30 flat fee mowing for 2 months for the first 5 new customers? Something to get them hooked quick.

Well,...no,....just offer friends and relo's the same one off offer, but make it seem extra special, and give each three or four "special referral coupons" to give out to others. I would give the original client a free mow.
Just keep in mind that multiple referring clients are worth many thousands of dollars over time, and each referral will result in possible long term relationships and many more dollars.

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Well,...no,....just offer friends and relo's the same one off offer, but make it seem extra special, and give each three or four "special referral coupons" to give out to others. I would give the original client a free mow.
Just keep in mind that multiple referring clients are worth many thousands of dollars over time, and each referral will result in possible long term relationships and many more dollars.

Okay, do you think I should just skip the postcard and send them a letter with the special coupons in it? State in my letter who I am and what i'm doing along with hand these coupons out to your family and friends and have them present them to me. They will receive a discounted price, and you will receive a free mowing. Something along those lines?

Since I'm targeting just one neighborhood, should I send it to all the people living there, or only half in hope they pass out the coupons?

PVMS
08-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Okay, do you think I should just skip the postcard and send them a letter with the special coupons in it? State in my letter who I am and what i'm doing along with hand these coupons out to your family and friends and have them present them to me. They will receive a discounted price, and you will receive a free mowing. Something along those lines?

Since I'm targeting just one neighborhood, should I send it to all the people living there, or only half in hope they pass out the coupons?

I would say keep your referral program seperate, and keep the post card or flyer idea. You don't need to waste ad space with anything or much about who you are. The main headline will explain what you do, and should make up most of your page space, with a little room for your number. If you want to include other services, allocate a very small line for them down the bottom.

Forget the "first 5 customers" etc, it will only get negative thoughts into your potential customers heads.When ever I hear this in ads I suspect that I will never be the qualified customer, so I don't call.
The offer should be limmited by time only. Make sure you list the customers opportunity window by giving a finishing date. That way, all the customer has to do to qualify is to pick up the phone,... now.
Cheers

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I would say keep your referral program seperate, and keep the post card or flyer idea. You don't need to waste ad space with anything or much about who you are. The main headline will explain what you do, and should make up most of your page space, with a little room for your number. If you want to include other services, allocate a very small line for them down the bottom.

Forget the "first 5 customers" etc, it will only get negative thoughts into your potential customers heads.When ever I hear this in ads I suspect that I will never be the qualified customer, so I don't call.
The offer should be limmited by time only. Make sure you list the customers opportunity window by giving a finishing date. That way, all the customer has to do to qualify is to pick up the phone,... now.
Cheers

Okay, so how about this. I'm going to stick with the postcard idea.

On the postcard say "Receive $15 off a full service mowing if you call before August 30, 2012" Then maybe say" Save 5$ on your monthly lawn care for ever referral. Visit www.peckslawncare.com/Customer-appreciation.html to print your referral coupons now! I will add a printable document of referral coupons they can hand out to friends and family. The referred customer can present the coupon to me, and if I land the job they referrer automatically gets $5 off.

What do you think of that?

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Heres the postcard I came up with, let me know what you think.

PVMS
08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Heres the postcard I came up with, let me know what you think.

Hey Andrew, when I look at my own marketing, I stand back a bit and look at the overall picture, and judge whether or not my main message is most of what you see.
The content of your message is great, but if it were mine I would lose the big feet pic, and triple the font of your headline, and think about highlighting it in a standout way like a red, or contrasting banner or something.
You are not me though, so what you have is still better than what most others will have from my experience.
Maybe think about adding a money back guarantee too. These additions can really put a clients mind at ease, that you are not just a "beer money Bob".

I always highlight my headline and guarantee.
You only get 2-3 seconds of read time when a client is deciding to bin or keep your postcard. Keep the message simple and large enough so that it doesn't get lost in the overall picture.
Cheers Dean.

wat5150
08-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Whats with the feet? Do you have a foot fetish?

xandrew245x
08-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Whats with the feet? Do you have a foot fetish?

Lol, was just a theme off vista print. I wasn't a big fan of their themes, I was going to make my own, but was aiming more towards what content I had.

I appreciate the advice, i'll work on it some more later.

xandrew245x
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Heres what I came up with, not sure what to do with the background yet.

PVMS
08-07-2012, 04:30 AM
I like it Andrew. The Guarantee looks great! The only different thing I would have done is swapped the font size of your main offer, with the "Enjoy Summer and save!". I would also make the highlight around the main offer contrast starkly different from everything else on the page,so the eyes draw straight to the main message. Well done.

xandrew245x
08-07-2012, 06:28 AM
I like it Andrew. The Guarantee looks great! The only different thing I would have done is swapped the font size of your main offer, with the "Enjoy Summer and save!". I would also make the highlight around the main offer contrast starkly different from everything else on the page,so the eyes draw straight to the main message. Well done.

Thank you! I can change those things when I get home tonight and I will post the new one. Then maybe by the end of the week I can have them ordered and mailed.

I might change the offer period to the second week in September. Its going to take at least a week until they are printed and arriving in everyone's mailboxes. I want to give them at least a month. Or maybe I should keep it short and only give them about 2 weeks to snatch the offer up.

PVMS
08-07-2012, 07:32 AM
We mow all year round, so with my last lot of printing, I just put "Offer ends soon!...Call now!
That way I can use them when ever I want.
I think you guys have a set mowing period due to snow?

xandrew245x
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
We mow all year round, so with my last lot of printing, I just put "Offer ends soon!...Call now!
That way I can use them when ever I want.
I think you guys have a set mowing period due to snow?

Yeah, start is around april and end is october or november.

xandrew245x
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Heres my final designs.

I like the last one the most.

PVMS
08-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Heres my final designs.

I like the last one the most.

I like the first,....at least it is a real offer. Money talks and BS walks as they say. That one would make me pick up the phone before an unknown percentage figure would.

xandrew245x
08-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I like the layout of the last one better, I can interchange the text easily. What do you think of the layout of the last one vs. the first one.