PDA

View Full Version : Residential ztr for part time mowing

w0283767
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I finally got my truck and have been getting some accounts pretty quickly. I have a husqvarba hu775h self propelled mower I'm using but it is so slow.

I want to purchase a ztr but don't want to spend 5k if I don't have to. I like new because of warranty. I'm looking at the snapper 150Z 21hp 42" model. It's residential but I'm only going to be cutting around 20-25 lawns a week each approx quarter acre since this is only a part time gig for me.

Will this mower hold up well since I am not going to be running it 5 days a week 8 hours a day.

Specs here:http://m.snapper.com/zero-turn-mowers/150Z/7800621/#

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Remember if you get a commercial mower, you will get a better longer warranty, and they will probably have a 36 or 48 month interest free financing. If your serious about and think you will have a growing customer base, and their is room in your budget, i would go with a commercial mower.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
no, at best 2 years..

A residential mowers warranty is 150 hours. You can do that in less then a season. the warranty isnt worth a dime from most companies. youll get the we'll take care of it just bring it to our nearest service center ie across the country. This is another reason commercial is the way to go. You can bring it to any dealer

I put 1600 hours on one used machine and 200 on another without problems. My friend has went through 2 lowes cub cadets in the same time.

I really dont see what peoples problem with buying used is. You can buy a 10,000 mower for $2500. If the engine fails you can buy a new one for $1500. If the hydros fail $800 per side. Youll still spend less and have a longer lasting machine.

wandfsmall
08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
a residential mower typically has no warranty or 90 days for commercial use. I would read the details before I buy. I always recommend commercial however the commercial guys running residential are more profitable as I see them weekly sometimes daily for parts sales.

brian'slawncare
08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
bottom line is no. Residential is not meant for the heating and cooling like commercial. Residential will last you forever if you do maybe three lawns a week (assuming you take care of it. Some people can get 5,000 hours on a commercial. If you do the math, the commercial comes out cheaper in the long run. It also provides a better cut in my opinion. Just a stronger, more powerful engine that is meant for landscape professionals.

LawnBoy0311
08-02-2012, 07:41 PM
of course everyone is going to say commercial. who wouldn't? they are the obvious better choice. reality is...some people typing remarks to your question have residential ztrs. what do they care? not their money! my advice, buy whats in budget for you. i have a resi mower, and after 2 months its paid off. or i could drop 10k+ on a "nice looking" commercial mower because thats what all the pro's use! and make monthly payments on a mower?! come on...its not a car or something you have to have right away. build your way up to it. no need to rush, save up and pay cash for a nice used one. some people post commercial ztr's for sale for a few thousand bucks with low hours. patience will pay off.

w0283767
08-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a commercial. I will let you know what I ultimately get.

xandrew245x
08-03-2012, 07:57 AM
If you want a commercial zero turn but don't want to spend a fortune check out other mowers. You said you only had a little walk behind mower, do you really need a big zero turn.

You could look at a walk behind mower, or even a stand on, both are cheaper than a ztr. If you don't have lawns over an acre in size, you could use a walk behind with a sulky to haul you around.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
As I said before ...Don't over spend when getting started...Buy and use what you can afford without getting so far in debt that you will never get out...Buy equipment as you go and money is rolling in...Before you know it, you are set up pretty good....In the long run a commercial unit is the choice to make, when you can afford it...Look around find a used commercial unit that has been taken care of...

wandfsmall
08-04-2012, 07:16 AM
As I said before ...Don't over spend when getting started...Buy and use what you can afford without getting so far in debt that you will never get out...Buy equipment as you go and money is rolling in...Before you know it, you are set up pretty good....In the long run a commercial unit is the choice to make, when you can afford it...Look around find a used commercial unit that has been taken care of...

My personal advice is look for a decent used commercial unit before buying residential they are that much better in quality. Another thing is I never recommend buying a consumer 2cycle for just a little more you can buy something that will last and have more power. But I do agree debt is the killer of a business in fact the guys that fall from the drought this year will mostly be from debt as to dealerships and cutters alike.

w0283767
08-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I decided to go with the Ferris IS500Z ZTR with 44" deck. I get to pick it up from dealer on Thursday. Will post pics as soon as I get equipment. I can't wait to get to work on that thing! Using that push mower has been brutal.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-15-2012, 07:45 AM
I decided to go with the Ferris IS500Z ZTR with 44" deck. I get to pick it up from dealer on Thursday. Will post pics as soon as I get equipment. I can't wait to get to work on that thing! Using that push mower has been brutal.

Did you get a new one or find a used one....Good luck and hope it works good for you...

wandfsmall
08-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Did you get a new one or find a used one....Good luck and hope it works good for you...

with the finance programs that came out this month I bet a new one 0% apr payments start next year on a lot of lines.

w0283767
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
I got a new one. 0% financing. Luckily I don't need to rely on this income and can reinvest all profits.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Nice mower. Waiting on pictures. The only thing I dont like is the Briggs. That might not be a issue with proper care.

w0283767
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Yea I wanted the Kawasaki engine but I couldn't justify spending an extra thousand for the 1500z. Since im not running it 8 hours a day 5 days a week I think the Briggs will do fine. Same goes for the pumps on the 500z.

wandfsmall
08-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Yea I wanted the Kawasaki engine but I couldn't justify spending an extra thousand for the 1500z. Since im not running it 8 hours a day 5 days a week I think the Briggs will do fine. Same goes for the pumps on the 500z.

It would have been well worth the extra money but I hope you are happy with the one you got

w0283767
08-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I only got to spend a few minutes on my new ZTR today, but it rides awesome!!! I can't wait to get to work on it this weekend!

wat5150
08-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Looks nice.

w0283767
08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks! I can't wait to use it this afternoon!