PDA

View Full Version : Weird Call

usmc3391
08-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I had a call from some guy who wanted me to come out and do an estimate. I typed his address in google and it was in a very bad trailer park. I was still talking to him and he was telling me what he wanted done. Then he was asking how many people I worked with. I told him for mowing its just me and other projects I hire as needed. Then he said good I want to make sure only you come and nobody else. He also asked what type of equipment I have ect. When he was done talking I told him i would stop by and give him a quote and he told me whatever I charge is fine just let him know. Then he gave me three different numbers to call different from the one he called me from and told me if he didnt answer one call the next. After I hung up i looked on google earth and his yard was 90% sand. This guy was too shady for me and plus he was like 40 minutes away about, 15 from my furthest customer. I called him back and told him i just looked at google again and thought it was going to be too far. He tried to convince me to come and then started getting pissed and told me if i serviced an area near there why not come another 15 min. I told him hes sh#t outta luck and hung up.

Would everyone else have done? Not sure what he was trying to do but didnt seem right.

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Anytime you start getting weird questions its good to avoid. I had a prick ask me 5 times how to pay. I gave him 3 options every time and he chose none of them.

Lopes Lawn Care
08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Good call on not going man. Sounds really shady. I wonder if he was gonna try and gank some equipment from you. Meth does bad things to people.

usmc3391
08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
haha that what i was thinking...they have actually busted people for having meth labs in there too!

Hedgemaster
08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Hmmmm... wants it to be "just you" that comes over...

http://www.psimaging.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/axe-murderer.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Was that the strangest call you got so far from a potential customer or were there others? Sometimes the first one really can catch you off guard.

xandrew245x
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Sounded like he was setting you up to steal your equipment/ truck...or who knows maybe he really just wanted his lawn cut, but he was a really strange person:confused:

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I think he wanted to lotion up you and your mower.

brian'slawncare
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
considering he said "just you" and asked what equipment you have. My best guess is he wanted your equipment....

WorkForMySelf
08-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Something like this was waiting for you at that house...
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/07/marine-wife-dexter-killing.html

stevef1201
08-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I had a call from some guy who wanted me to come out and do an estimate. I typed his address in google and it was in a very bad trailer park. I was still talking to him and he was telling me what he wanted done. Then he was asking how many people I worked with. I told him for mowing its just me and other projects I hire as needed. Then he said good I want to make sure only you come and nobody else. He also asked what type of equipment I have ect. When he was done talking I told him i would stop by and give him a quote and he told me whatever I charge is fine just let him know. Then he gave me three different numbers to call different from the one he called me from and told me if he didnt answer one call the next. After I hung up i looked on google earth and his yard was 90% sand. This guy was too shady for me and plus he was like 40 minutes away about, 15 from my furthest customer. I called him back and told him i just looked at google again and thought it was going to be too far. He tried to convince me to come and then started getting pissed and told me if i serviced an area near there why not come another 15 min. I told him hes sh#t outta luck and hung up.

Would everyone else have done? Not sure what he was trying to do but didnt seem right.

I think you did the right thing.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Learn too trust your instincts, if you get a bad vibe there is usually a reason for it....:eek:

usmc3391
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
haha he was probably going to do all of those things...glad i didnt go..but now anytime i get a call my girlfriend thinks its someone trying to kill me even though they are all normal calls... she thinks "they sound suspicious" and tells me not to go

dpld
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM

sounds like him and a buddy were gonna have some fun with you while they busted out the gimp

usmc3391
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
i figured he wanted to jack my sh#t but...just wanted to see what everyone else had to say...the community he is from is a high drug area and having three cell phone numbers indicated he was probably a drug dealer as they often use disposable cell phones

and that marine story is pretty fukced up i was stationed in Pendleton what a crazy btich i hope they rot in prison

but yes should have showed up like this!:

Hmmmm... wants it to be "just you" that comes over...

http://www.psimaging.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/axe-murderer.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Big Al
08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
I got a really weird call a few months back, I remember telling myself, "I should probably start carrying my gun while I'm working..." And then I realized that if I have a feeling like I'm going to need my gun with me its probably best to just avoid the job altogether.
Better to be safe than sorry

CHEESE2009
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I got an email from a guy who asked way too many questions that a normal interested person wouldn't bother to ask.

Other than the normal questions, I received questions like, "What equipment do you run, how many guys are you, how many clients do you have, etc"..

The guy didn't even bother giving me an address, he just kept asking really strange questions through email.

I figured that he could be a competitor, but I found an image of the guy on the web, and he looked like some big shot suit.

lawnguy11
08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
He also asked what type of equipment I have ect

I woulda told him a kimber .45 :D

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
I woulda told him a kimber .45 :D

Armored Humvee with a 50 cal for weeds.

The Cleaning Doctor
08-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Armored Humvee with a 50 cal for weeds.

Why mess with the small stuff. Just tell em you run Abhrams.