PDA

View Full Version : Just lost a customer...

LawnBoy0311
08-01-2012, 12:17 PM
And couldn't be happier!!! She was a HUGE PITA!! She couldn't pay on time and I always found hidden lawn treasures. One time it was a silver spoon sticking in the ground. The usual papers, charcoal, pens/pencils, ipod headphones could often be found. Glad its now overwith! Can everyone congratulate me?!

w0283767
08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I may be new to the business but I don't wait until a problem customer terminates me. I end the relationship at the first sign of trouble. There are professional ways of doing this. Not worth the trouble.

LawnBoy0311
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
It was a quick in and out. I had to pass it to mow 3 others. She quit because her son came home from school. Better to end on good terms, and on mutual agreement. Customers talk...you don't want to be the topic of a bad conversation for telling them to find someone else when it was a small problem.

Steve
08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
How will you handle it if she calls when her son goes back to school and she needs help again?

LawnBoy0311
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
How will you handle it if she calls when her son goes back to school and she needs help again?

"I'm sorry, my schedule is full."

LawnBoy0311
08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Just kidding! I'd take her back because it was along the way to a few others, but we'd have to go over certain terms. Post dated checks will be a MUST have. Also a price increase because of the treasure hunt I have to go on. Both are not a huge issue, but they take up my time, and time away from other projects I could be doing.

Steve
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Has dealing with her helped you to deal with new customers that come your way and display some potential problematic issues?

LawnBoy0311
08-02-2012, 08:25 PM
i always talk with new customers so we are all on an understanding. But spending an extra few minutes on a lawn to keep a customer is always worth it to me. her house was a small townhouse, i was getting $25 for 15 minutes of work. everyone here as a limit that they reach, but i feel like mine is harder to reach. i've worked full time jobs where customer retention was a #1 priority. i took some of what i learned from that company to my lawn care business. while we are all here to make some $$ and support our families, the customers are the ones who allow us to do this. so i'm less harsh until we get to that point.

LawnBoy0311
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
and if i'm sad or upset i lost her...not at all. customers will come and go. it's like any business in the service industry. i lost her and an hour later i picked up another one. today i picked up 2 more jobs. so i can't complain about my business, i've done very well so far.

Hedgemaster
08-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Yeah. I lost one about a week ago. It was over the price. Husband OK'd it, but when wife found out, she called to say it was too much - that "We were paying a guy $25 where we used to live".

I actually tried to work with her on the price, but she said she was "too busy" and "had to go". Sounds like they hired someone else already.

She was freaking hot too. That was the only "loss" here - I picked up two others for the same price within a week.
Eye candy is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills.

That was actually the first client I've lost for a reason other than "moved", or "died".