PDA

View Full Version : Paid Vacation

Hedgemaster
07-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a weekly $30 client that I cut on Thursdays or Fridays. Last Thursday I ran out of time and on Friday it rained all day. I couldn't get to her on Saturday due to other commitments and since I knew her lawn wouldn't be a mess (slow growing - could easily be cut biweekly) if I missed a cut, I decided to wait until the following week. My loss, but things happen.

Yesterday (Fri) I cut as usual, but my pay was not waiting as it always is - she apparently had forgotten to leave it for me. No big deal.
I left a note stating that I could swing by on Sat. while in the area mowing, or she could just double up next week. She called to apologize for not having my money out and said I could stop on Saturday for it.

I swung by today on my way through and picked up my envelope. Inside was $60 and the following note:

Hi Hedge,
This is for last week and this week.
Everyone deserves a paid vacation
(especially someone who does such a good job),
so I guess last week you got a rainy vacation.
Thanks for all your help.
~ Client

Amazing.
Some people think they hit the jackpot when they don't have to pay you due to drought or a missed cut and this one paid for work that was not performed.

Today I also had someone give me $30 instead of the quoted $20 to do some light trimming while there to mow the lawn.

:)

xandrew245x
07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Yea there are still nice people out there, Had to go do a job for my full time work and the guy gave me a $10 tip!

Lopes Lawn Care
07-28-2012, 05:18 PM
That's awesome man! Yeah for all the crap we deal with it's nice to know we still have those customers that actually treat you well. They know you do good work, hard work at that and deserve a thank you.

Wish all customers were like that. lol. That's just crazy talk though.

Hedgemaster
07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah, it's nice to have your work acknowledged.

I've also noted that tipping comes from people you'd least likely expect it from. You know - the people that don't really have a lot of disposable income.

I'm still blown away. I mean, it's "only" $30, but that just threw me.

I will say that almost all of my clients are great people in general. I'm sort of like the "anti-Cheese" in that respect.
:D

FentonC
07-28-2012, 09:03 PM
That is great! Thanks for sharing that!

Godslapper
07-28-2012, 09:47 PM
That's great, You must do good work and will only loose a customer when they die. The only thing I would think about is the price you charge. It's quite low and I think they know it. That's fine as long as you can some how make money at that price.

Hedgemaster
07-28-2012, 10:19 PM
She was paying the previous guy $25. It's a tiny lawn.
Not everyone is mowing estates on zero turns.

CS-LawnService
07-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Its great when people acknowledge you doing a good job.First of the month when the checks started comming in .I had 2 checks with notes in them telling me how happy they were with there lawns .

Makes it all worth wild I think

Sprinkler Buddy
07-29-2012, 06:54 AM
That's a keeper. Nice to be appreciated!

stevef1201
07-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Its great when people acknowledge you doing a good job.First of the month when the checks started comming in .I had 2 checks with notes in them telling me how happy they were with there lawns .

Makes it all worth wild I think

I missed a cut on a customers yard, so I dicounted the monthy bill. I was hopeing that they would not be pissed. I got the check in the mail with a post it note....................I paid the regular amount, really didnt notice a missed service. Really happy with the way the yard looks, use the 'extra' to help pay for the new mower-signiture

Now THATS a nice customer

CHEESE2009
07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah, well.. my customers give me a baggy with an assortment of broken cookies.. sometimes.

:mad:

Lopes Lawn Care
07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Hedge, your right. it's always the people that you least expect it from. This little old lady that i do work for always tips me no matter what i do. She's got the tiniest lawn i do and is always talking about "just being able to make it by". She never complains about pricing and always tips. Super appreciative of what i do for her and i'm appreciative for her business.

mark123
07-29-2012, 02:58 PM
When one of my customers slips me a $50 or something like that I'll do something extra like whack the weeds out of the sidewalk cracks. Seems to increase the frequency of the tips.

Hedgemaster
07-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Hedge, your right. it's always the people that you least expect it from. This little old lady that i do work for always tips me no matter what i do. She's got the tiniest lawn i do and is always talking about "just being able to make it by". She never complains about pricing and always tips. Super appreciative of what i do for her and i'm appreciative for her business.

I have a little old lady in her nineties who tips me one dollar over the price of the cut. It's kinda funny.