PDA

View Full Version : Why not to go door to door

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Florida man shoots door-to-door salesman dead for 'trespassing'
Nicholas Rainey, 30, was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon in the driveway of 52-year-old Kenneth Bailey Roop during what authorities think was meant to be a routine sales pitch. Rainey was going door to door trying to sell frozen lobster tails and meat for his employer, Blue Ribbon Steak and Seafood, when he was shot.

http://rt.com/usa/news/florida-door-to-door-house-roop-265/

Hedgemaster
07-27-2012, 06:22 PM
While we have absolutely NO idea what actually happened, or what events may have taken place before this, it doesn't look good for the homeowner.

Also, none of this makes sense...

Roop’s testimony, as reported by local NBC 2 News, alleges that Rainey's tone of voice, attitude and demeanor made the shooter nervous. Roop claims he became scared because the salesman was approaching his house, so he pulled out his gun and fired.

Roop adds that he fired a second time, aiming at Rainey’s head, “for effect.”

Are we to believe these were "warning shots"? Sounds to me like he was an angry fellow and this claim of shooting at his head "for effect" is an attempt to make it out to be an accident that he hit him.

Any which way... that's one thing that freaks me out about walking up to a home unannounced - you never know what could happen. Maybe you stumble upon a bunch of criminals that are none too happy that they have "company"...

Liberty Landscaping LLC
07-27-2012, 07:12 PM
This hits close. I used to hang out with him in High School..... RIP NICK!

xandrew245x
07-27-2012, 07:23 PM
This is the exact reason I don't like going door to door or even putting door hangers on. I really don't want to deal with an angry homeowner, you don't know who lives behind that door, they could be a deranged killer.

WorkForMySelf
07-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Well he just commited murder.. so two people lost their lives.

I go d2d.. and will continue. I think its kinda funny that established guys like to try and scare off new guys from d2d.. I guess its a self defense mechanism.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2012, 09:36 PM

I go d2d.. and will continue. I think its kinda funny that established guys like to try and scare off new guys from d2d.. I guess its a self defense mechanism.

I was just being sarcastic.

Its not murder in Florida. The guy wont be getting arrested. Where I'm at he would be charged with murder even if the guy broke in with a weapon. So I can knock on all the doors I want but I still choose not to.

Simmo
07-28-2012, 04:43 AM
I was just being sarcastic.

Its not murder in Florida. The guy wont be getting arrested. Where I'm at he would be charged with murder even if the guy broke in with a weapon. So I can knock on all the doors I want but I still choose not to.

Did you read the last sentence?

Roop appeared in court on Thursday and was charged with homicide murder dangerous depraved without premeditation in the death. The State Attorney’s Office ordered that he be held without bond "due to the serious nature of the crime."

Simmo.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
He was. Harged with 2nd degree murder

dpld
07-28-2012, 08:27 AM

absolutely wrong, i been in business for 23 years and i make a dam good living and i never had to resort to knocking on peoples doors like a gypsy vagabon.

come to northern nj and try knocking on peoples doors and see what happens mr know it all.
every county you step foot in has a no solicitating sign posted at its borders and and will result in a arrest unless of course you pay the fee for a permit that is only good for a specified date and time.

the only exception is sussex county where the hillbilly's will call the cops and say you are trying to break in and then they will come out and shoot you.

please come and try, just let me know when you are in town so i can follow you for a good laugh.

Grass Doctor
07-28-2012, 09:19 AM
i use door to door flyer hanging, never nock in the door, i alwasy turn around when i see no traspasing sign, fock that :eek:

here in tx he will not be prosecuted and thats rigth. i hate when people not in door tryig to sell me something.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Did you read the last sentence?

Roop appeared in court on Thursday and was charged with homicide murder dangerous depraved without premeditation in the death. The State Attorney’s Office ordered that he be held without bond "due to the serious nature of the crime."

Simmo.

I missed that. I just assumed because of the castle law.

i use door to door flyer hanging, never nock in the door, i alwasy turn around when i see no traspasing sign, fock that :eek:

here in tx he will not be prosecuted and thats rigth. i hate when people not in door tryig to sell me something.

It looks like there not buying the trespassing part because if he could argue it was he would be protected. The laws are almost exact in both states.

D2D is one of those things that seems to work for some and not the rest. When I first started I knocked on every door within 3 blocks and flyered them 3-4 times. 3 years later I have never did a service for any of them.

Grass Doctor
07-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I missed that. I just assumed because of the castle law.

It looks like there not buying the trespassing part because if he could argue it was he would be protected. The laws are almost exact in both states.

D2D is one of those things that seems to work for some and not the rest. When I first started I knocked on every door within 3 blocks and flyered them 3-4 times. 3 years later I have never did a service for any of them.

so u saying that basically knocking on door to door is useless right

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-28-2012, 12:46 PM
so u saying that basically knocking on door to door is useless right

where I'm at. I think youll get a better response in small towns that are more neighborly then a city.

I know that I dont answer the door unless expecting someone.

Grass Doctor
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
where I'm at. I think youll get a better response in small towns that are more neighborly then a city.

I know that I dont answer the door unless expecting someone.

yeah me too. thats why i ask, this is my second year in business i just dont like the idea of knocking doors its seem a little desperate, i have no problem taking to people but thats not for me.

Steve
07-30-2012, 03:33 PM
There is a certain % of the population that is 'off.' This poor guy going door to door ended up meeting one of those folks and it is too bad.

I am glad you made the post because it does give one something to think about before going door to door.

It makes you wonder, before this home owner went off shooting, what kind of customer would he have been? I bet a bad one at that too.

AkersLawn
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
This Spring I went door to door with flyers, and in a couple weeks only talked face to face while I was out with maybe 8 or 9 people. Of those I closed on 3 one time jobs that paid very well. The first day I only had an hour or so and hit two streets. Out of 35 flyers delivered I got 12 calls, and closed 9 of them. 6 of which were all season clients I've had few problems with. Next year, and before snow removal time, Im going to hit every door I can. But, then again, I live in Wyoming.... with little crime. If you guys don't like door to door, try doing different techniques. Don't bang on the door, leave a flyer, or a newsletter. Target neighborhoods where the post box is right on the street, for quick delivery. Never cross a shut gate, and never go anywhere where you can see/hear a dog.

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 05:20 AM
This Spring I went door to door with flyers, and in a couple weeks only talked face to face while I was out with maybe 8 or 9 people. Of those I closed on 3 one time jobs that paid very well. The first day I only had an hour or so and hit two streets. Out of 35 flyers delivered I got 12 calls, and closed 9 of them. 6 of which were all season clients I've had few problems with. Next year, and before snow removal time, Im going to hit every door I can. But, then again, I live in Wyoming.... with little crime. If you guys don't like door to door, try doing different techniques. Don't bang on the door, leave a flyer, or a newsletter. Target neighborhoods where the post box is right on the street, for quick delivery. Never cross a shut gate, and never go anywhere where you can see/hear a dog.

35 flyers and 12 phone calls? Something doesn't add up. Many of us here have passed out hundred and got a few phone calls. The normal rate is about 1%-2%, but your around 40%. Whats your flyer say on it?!

SECTLANDSCAPING
08-14-2012, 10:08 AM
35 flyers and 12 phone calls? Something doesn't add up. Many of us here have passed out hundred and got a few phone calls. The normal rate is about 1%-2%, but your around 40%. Whats your flyer say on it?!
Call me for $20

WorkForMySelf
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
@LawnBoy He is putting them in the customers hand.. not on the mailbox. Thats a lucky day for sure but I get atleast 5-10x the response when i hand out fliers then when put them on the mailbox.

AkersLawn
08-15-2012, 10:28 PM

It's just a generic flyer....

WE"RE HERE !!! Got it on this site actually. This was early season though, since then I've been getting about 13 to 16 percent. I guess I just lucked out on being in the right place at the right time! Start hitting houses right after the first warm weekend.

AkersLawn
08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
The Flyer I used is attached. Im not sure if this is the exact one i downloaded from here or if it is the exact one I used, either way All i did was change the phone numbers, business names, change3d the services to fit my needs, that sort of thing.