PDA

View Full Version : edger help?

jasonw
07-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Can someone explain to me please how to properly use an edger? I normally use my trimmer but some of my new accounts are in upper scale communities and I see the benefits of using an actual edger on lawns, I purchased one to fit both by 4 and 2 stroke power heads but in all honesty I have no clue how to use it and the paperwork it came with leave a lot to be desired. It has a 9" blade and is adjustable from 0-2" depth. I tried practicing with it around my house but I dont ave many spots that can be edged and those that I do really looked bad after I was done with them. I refuse to learn on someone ellses property so would like to get an idea of how to do it propelled before using it away from home. thanks. Below is a link to the one I got.\
http://www.lowes.com/pd_91517-65481-LE720_4294747288__?productId=3353702&Ntt=edger&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dedger&facetInfo=

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
If theres not enough power going to the edger it wont cut right.

When I use a edger I put it at a slight angle and not straight. Other then that its no different then what you would do with a trimmer.

cmacsauto
07-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Just put it between the grass and concrete, pull the trigger and go. If it is having trouble turning, you may have it too deep. Also, I feel like the edgers clog an awful lot and can easily get bogged down because of the steel blade instead of malleable string, so when you hit something hard, it is going to stop. Also, make sure you are not walking faster than it can cut and you don't have to run wide open throttle all of the time with them.

By the way, what kind did you get, and if you don't mind, how much was it.

PVMS
07-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Here in Australia, many contractors including me use these machines. They do a great job, and can be used at a brisk pace once an edge bed has been layed previously. They are available in the U.S.

http://www.atomindustries.com.au/

Hedgemaster
07-27-2012, 08:19 PM
The wheel rolls on the sidewalk/driveway and the blade spins/digs right along the edge. There's usually a "line" somewhere on top to help you visualize where the blade is at.

Sparks may fly.

I don't edge enough to be able to tell you off the top of my head whether "pushing" or "pulling" it is best, but I DO know that my crappy Yardman split shaft trimmer is only marginally good for edging with the attachment, where my Stihl FS90R chews through the dirt with a vengeance.

I'd assume that dry, hard ground could be a challenge for a lesser trimmer head.

wat5150
07-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I really only use a dedicated edger. Its a 3.5 hp briggs engine that tears through stuff pretty slick. Its really meant for bed shaping and such. I suppose you could run it along a cement drive or walk but Ive never used it for that. Ive never used an attachment edger. The more expensive ones like stihl or echo work pretty good from what Im told.

cmacsauto
07-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Here in Australia, many contractors including me use these machines. They do a great job, and can be used at a brisk pace once an edge bed has been layed previously. They are available in the U.S.

http://www.atomindustries.com.au/

Those are strange. I have never seen one that looked like that before, but the look like they're pretty strong and should be able to get it done at a fast pace.

Johnny_boy02
07-27-2012, 11:23 PM
1) Return that attachment.

2) Go buy a decent edger.

3) Keep the blade as close to the cement as you can.

I typically have a "if it works for you use whatever equipment you want" attitude. But this is a tool that you need to have a good amount power behind of your edges will look like jagged ***.

Good luck.

Edit: This guy is sloppy, but you get the point. Just google "how to stick edger".
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tcUm9EOKeCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jasonw
07-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Thank you, the price and unit I purchased is at the lowes link I posted.

Just put it between the grass and concrete, pull the trigger and go. If it is having trouble turning, you may have it too deep. Also, I feel like the edgers clog an awful lot and can easily get bogged down because of the steel blade instead of malleable string, so when you hit something hard, it is going to stop. Also, make sure you are not walking faster than it can cut and you don't have to run wide open throttle all of the time with them.

By the way, what kind did you get, and if you don't mind, how much was it.

jasonw
07-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Can you explain why I should take this one back?

1) Return that attachment.

2) Go buy a decent edger.

3) Keep the blade as close to the cement as you can.

I typically have a "if it works for you use whatever equipment you want" attitude. But this is a tool that you need to have a good amount power behind of your edges will look like jagged ***.

Good luck.

Edit: This guy is sloppy, but you get the point. Just google "how to stick edger".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUm9EOKeCk

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-28-2012, 12:27 PM
The only problem I see with the edger is the shaft is curved. You might lose a little power there. Other then that I'm curios as to what is pushing the attachment? As said above if theres not enough power the lines wont be crisp.

jasonw
07-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Both my power heads are 25CC one is 4 stroke and one is 2 stroke, they both seem to be able to cut into the dirt well so long as I get the blade spinning before putting it into the ground. If I put it in the ground first the motors both just bogg down.
\
The only problem I see with the edger is the shaft is curved. You might lose a little power there. Other then that I'm curios as to what is pushing the attachment? As said above if theres not enough power the lines wont be crisp.

lxarth
08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
From what I have been told by a dealer, you want to be careful with those 4-stroke engines.

Those engines were designed to be held a certain way, you mess that up and the oil moves away from the pistons and you fry the engine. Like if you take a 4-stroke trimmer, which was designed to just trim, and you turn it up on end and use it to edge...well, the oil moved away from where it should be and you burn it out.

I'm not an engineer, but it seems valid to me, and being that this guy sells these products I figure he knows something at least.

So just be careful about multi-purposing your equipment.

Hedgemaster
08-01-2012, 04:31 PM
From what I have been told by a dealer, you want to be careful with those 4-stroke engines.

Those engines were designed to be held a certain way, you mess that up and the oil moves away from the pistons and you fry the engine. Like if you take a 4-stroke trimmer, which was designed to just trim, and you turn it up on end and use it to edge...well, the oil moved away from where it should be and you burn it out.

I'm not an engineer, but it seems valid to me, and being that this guy sells these products I figure he knows something at least.

So just be careful about multi-purposing your equipment.

While what you state is true, using the edger attachment on such a unit does not alter the positioning in use.

wandfsmall
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
While what you state is true, using the edger attachment on such a unit does not alter the positioning in use.

not always some of the attachments were not designed for the 4cycle equipment. But yes the edger problem is an issue of power from a consumer unit vs a commercial unit in this case.

wat5150
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I stay away from 4 cycle trimmers, small engine stuff, etc. I had a 4 stroke and it was garbage. Hardly any power and lasted about six months. Just stick with 2 cycle equipment. Its really not that big a deal(to me anyways) to mix oil and gas together.