PDA

View Full Version : clippings

t-10yrs2retire
07-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Just starting out here and a question i have is do you guys charge extra when the grass is too long because the customer wants to stretch out to every other week mow?. What i thought i would do from here on out is #1offer them a weekly mow and biweekly mow price adding in say a 1/2 hr for raking. I would get a mulching kit or bagger but hear if the grass is wet at all they plug up. Any help????

xandrew245x
07-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Bi weekly mowing I charge weekly X 1.5.

jasonw
07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I don't charge any extra. No matter if its 3 feet tall or 3" tall my mower picks it up and I take it with me, it's no extra work to cut so I don't see a reason to charge more.

There is a large property that I do every month or so and sometimes its 5-6 feet tall, I can even see over the hood of my tractor when cutting it, it can be annoying but I tough it out and get it done as it's only every now and then it gets that bad. With that property however I don't take anything with me, they are all weeds and they just want it cut down. I may change my stance if I had to take the clippings with me. For the average lawn though I don't see a reason to do it, its not like its that much harder to cut it biweekly or weekly.

wat5150
07-26-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't charge any extra. No matter if its 3 feet tall or 3" tall my mower picks it up and I take it with me, it's no extra work to cut so I don't see a reason to charge more.

There is a large property that I do every month or so and sometimes its 5-6 feet tall, I can even see over the hood of my tractor when cutting it, it can be annoying but I tough it out and get it done as it's only every now and then it gets that bad. With that property however I don't take anything with me, they are all weeds and they just want it cut down. I may change my stance if I had to take the clippings with me. For the average lawn though I don't see a reason to do it, its not like its that much harder to cut it biweekly or weekly.

I have some bi weekly accounts that are a real pain. The grass is extra thick and tall. If it were done every week it would probably shave at least 15 mins off one of my bi weeklys. I think you should always charge more for bi weekly. If you dont bag a bi weekly is always going to be more of a pain and harder to make it look good. I just dont understand how you think a bi weekly with grass twice as tall as a weekly is the same as weekly. Even if you do bag its twice the amount of clippings.

willshome
07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
bagging takes time so it costs more. bi-weekly takes longer, more wear &tear on your mower.... you have to mow slower
time is money
the thing about weekly mows is they look good so you look good

Hedgemaster
07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
There's also the added work of filling that slot on your schedule with ANOTHER lawn that's going to be more work on the other week.

Even if the lawn is some slow-growing, easy to cut job, you will likely have scheduling conflicts when you need to reschedule due to rain, or if they want to "skip a week" - NOW you have TWO (or more) cuts on the SAME DAY the following week when you shouldn't.

Thinking that biweekly accounts are "no different" is false. Charge more.

B-2 Lawncare
07-26-2012, 08:38 AM

We don't bag and biweekly mows require us to double mow, which means more time mowing and more maintenance. So yes they are going to pay more.

xandrew245x
07-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I cut someone's lawn once for him, it had gone about a week and a half without being cut and it took me almost 20 mins longer than it should have.

t-10yrs2retire
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys I think I will go with the 1.5X and see what happens. Also I will stickwith the 7 OR 14 days. Im doing one now every 10 days. Not a big deal just a scheduling PIA. with my regular job.

wat5150
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
I have some bi weekly accounts that are a real pain. The grass is extra thick and tall. If it were done every week it would probably shave at least 15 mins off one of my bi weeklys. I think you should always charge more for bi weekly. If you dont bag a bi weekly is always going to be more of a pain and harder to make it look good. I just dont understand how you think a bi weekly with grass twice as tall as a weekly is the same as weekly. Even if you do bag its twice the amount of clippings.

Wow, the first part of my post got edited. All I wrote was I couldnt disagree more with the comment about bi weeklys being the same as weekly. It wasnt offensive. Whats up with that. Kind of lame.

stevef1201
07-26-2012, 02:06 PM
I dont take bi weely mowing jobs. Period. I cannot have my name associated with a crappy yard, and that is what you get when you only cut bi weekly. I sell a service, and a look. ie-YOUR YARD COULD LOOK LIKE A MILLION BUCKS- but that takes weekly service, proper fertilizing, proper weed control, etc. None of that can be done bi weekly. Forget the bi weekly idiots, sell them the look- not the number of services. By the way I dont ever give a price per cut, only a monthly rate for service. If they say 'well how often do you cut?', I tell that is weekly service. If they ask for every other week, I tell them the same exact price. I get 90 percent of the jobs I bid, those I dont get were not worth unloading the mower in the first place.

Remember You can be a guy with a mower, or A LAWN CARE PROFESSIONAL!!!!!

Lopes Lawn Care
07-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Good call Steve. I'm starting to do the same. Had a few every 10 day jobs but I got tired of having to go out on a sat or sun just to mow 3 lawns. I switched them to weekly on the notion that their grass grows to much for a every 10 day mow. Which was totally true. I run a walk behind(older one at that)and longer thick grass is a pain to clean up. ESPECIALLY CRABGRASS WHEN ITS WET! sorry had to vent. :cool:

greenscaper123
10-14-2012, 11:21 AM
I dont take bi weely mowing jobs. Period. I cannot have my name associated with a crappy yard, and that is what you get when you only cut bi weekly. I sell a service, and a look. ie-YOUR YARD COULD LOOK LIKE A MILLION BUCKS- but that takes weekly service, proper fertilizing, proper weed control, etc. None of that can be done bi weekly. Forget the bi weekly idiots, sell them the look- not the number of services. By the way I dont ever give a price per cut, only a monthly rate for service. If they say 'well how often do you cut?', I tell that is weekly service. If they ask for every other week, I tell them the same exact price. I get 90 percent of the jobs I bid, those I dont get were not worth unloading the mower in the first place.

Remember You can be a guy with a mower, or A LAWN CARE PROFESSIONAL!!!!!

so what about the months that have 5 cuts in them? do you let them know that those months will be more money cause their are more weeks than the typical 4 week month?

dpld
10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

did you start a business to make money or make friends?

it is not a matter of toughing it out it is a matter of making money because that is the whole point of being in business.

grass grows all week every week and people that want bi-weekly only do so because they are cheap @sses and don't want to pay.

it is not mine or any other landscapers job to be a coupon of savings, landscaping is a luxury and if you don't want to do the lawn yourself then you pay someone to do it.

Hedgemaster
10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
so what about the months that have 5 cuts in them? do you let them know that those months will be more money cause their are more weeks than the typical 4 week month?

I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't bill "monthly", but if I did, I would absolutely make it known ahead of time that some months will cost more.

Same with biweekly... I remind them that the schedule is "every other week", NOT "twice per month".