PDA

View Full Version : Idea - Good or Bad?

Greg's Lawn Care
07-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I have an idea of making a yard sign that says "Currently being mowed by _________" and placing that in the current yard that I am mowing at that time. On that sign I will have my phone number and email address.

Does this sound like a good idea?

If anyone is interested in doing this idea, I recommend www.vistaprint.com. They offer great prices for yard signs and other things like business cards.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
07-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Bad Idea. You pay good money for those signs..why limit their use to just that point in time? I ordered regular yard signs with all my info, and I just lean one up against the truck near the orange cones. If theyre interested in your service..the regular sign will work too. I do have some that say "Maintained By: Company Info "

Greg's Lawn Care
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Bad Idea. You pay good money for those signs..why limit their use to just that point in time? I ordered regular yard signs with all my info, and I just lean one up against the truck near the orange cones. If theyre interested in your service..the regular sign will work too. I do have some that say "Maintained By: Company Info "

Good point

Hedgemaster
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I always place a lawn sign out while working. Since I don't have my truck lettered yet, this helps identify me as someone on-site doing work as opposed to just some truck parked along the street.

Here's a link to the last page of a thread I started with a bunch of pics...
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=14452&highlight=lawn+signs&page=4

wat5150
07-25-2012, 09:00 AM
I think the lawn sign is a decent idea. Just another way to get your name out there. Just take it with you to every lawn and use it. Stick it right where there is the most traffic. Its good if people get used to seeing your name out there. They may not need a service right away but when they do or if they know someone who does your name may come to them. Its never a bad idea to get your name out any way you can.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-25-2012, 10:08 AM
I know a guy that uses a sign that is designed like the road crew sign. It says "Caution Yard Work Ahead" and it gets people to look at the work and truck when they go by.

xandrew245x
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I ordered signs from vista print with my info on them, I have them in the yards I mow and in my yard, I also set one with my truck when I'm at places. Just be careful, their online designer is a little misleading with the text size.

Big Al
07-25-2012, 09:44 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking something like "This lawn is serviced(or maintained) by Tuition Lawn Care"
My dad used to be a contractor and he always put signs up wherever he was working. Seemed to work out for him, should work for us too.

CHEESE2009
07-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Sounds like an extra 2 minutes of time wasted. 2 minutes is a lot of hassle for our kind, we just want to get in and out. I suppose it couldn't hurt, but I'm too lazy for that.

You'll already have signage on your vehicle no?

-

I'm thinking about lighting up some fireworks on every lawn I do.. That'd be impressive!

Hedgemaster
07-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Sounds like an extra 2 minutes of time wasted. 2 minutes is a lot of hassle for our kind, we just want to get in and out. I suppose it couldn't hurt, but I'm too lazy for that.

You'll already have signage on your vehicle no?

-

I'm thinking about lighting up some fireworks on every lawn I do.. That'd be impressive!

It's not wasted time if you gain clients as a result.

"Get in - get out"?

From my Craigslist ad...
I take the time to complete your job with the attention it deserves - not "in and out, and on to the next job", as is so common these days.

:D

I have one account that I underbid by about $10/cut. I still keep them because their lawn looks nice and my truck/signs get a lot of exposure to a somewhat exclusive area. I've picked up two... no THREE additional clients in that area as a direct result of my signs.

Steve
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
We have talked about this in the past, but how about a road warning sign that says mowers ahead with your phone number and business name on it?

http://crystalgraphics.imageserver1.com/thumb/1/medium/185690

wandfsmall
07-26-2012, 12:51 PM
We have talked about this in the past, but how about a road warning sign that says mowers ahead with your phone number and business name on it?

http://crystalgraphics.imageserver1.com/thumb/1/medium/185690

would that be legal?

Rodriguez11
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
There is good and bad. Bad being the cost like said unless you can get a large quantity or smaller ones so that they do not stand out so much in yards. I have seen some companies around here that use smaller ones and place them in flower beds close to front doors so guest will see the sign but it still does not stick out too much in the yard

Hedgemaster
07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I have TWO. I traded a cut for them - I think they would have cost me around $40. (full color, two sided)

I don't think I'd bother with those little ones that are left out. They tend to look trashy in my opinion.

tke488
09-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Your truck should be your sign. It requires no extra work for you and its showing all of the time. Put your money into decaling your truck and not in signs.

Grass Doctor
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
I know a guy that uses a sign that is designed like the road crew sign. It says "Caution Yard Work Ahead" and it gets people to look at the work and truck when they go by.

i like this, thats clever.