PDA

View Full Version : Problems with getting yards

thenewguy26
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
hey guys,
I need some help! I put out flier's everywhere saying first 10 calls I'll cut your yard for free. I got 5 calls went and cut the yards and made sure to do a very good and professional job. My problem was I got very crappy yards, yards that I couldnt even use my mower on was mostly weeds and i weedeated the yards. I gave very reasonable prices insuring that I make a profit also. But i havent gotten any calls back except 2. I contacted all the banks and real estate office in the area and got a bite on quite a few yards but they want me to have insurance which I am in the process of shopping around. I guess we have a very competitive market for lawn care here. Can i get some advice from anyone?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
when you do anything free you have to put in on the back end. Such as pay up front for 4 cuts get 5th free. If you dont do it this way you get cheap bastards that wont even pay for lawn care. There just trying to get it for free.

Its hard for the first few years and hardest the 1st. All I can say is keep trying and keep your overhead low.

thenewguy26
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks I realize that now. Im doing my best to keep spending down just really would like to make some money to make payments on my mower and stuff

willshome
07-23-2012, 06:15 PM
when you did these "jobs" did you flyer the houses around "I just did neighbor's house if you like how it looks call me great rates"

xandrew245x
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Just be patient and advertise, i started my business a little over a month ago and I just got my first request for an estimate today. He saw my magnet sign on my truck :)

LawnBoy0311
07-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Alright, I'll give you a small tip. So feel free to slide me a couple bucks for a beer after it works.

CRAIGSLIST!!! This site has got me a whole bunch of new customers. But, theres a trick to it. Make the title of your ad catchy. Thats the BIG thing! Everyone posts subjects as: XXXX Lawn Service, Click here for lawn care, just take a look what people are using in your area and use something different. I used one as simple as "Summer is here!!!" and got a few emails. Different is better. Be funny with it too! In your ad, make it work for you. Tell the customers about your services offered, and put in your service area. Add in there some contact info and you'll be all set! After 2 days, log into your account and go to the ad's you have posted. Click on "renew" and your ad will start at the top of the list. Good luck!

Hedgemaster
07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
As a homeowner (an my home is nothing to rave about) I would not call someone who says "I'll cut your yard for free".

Sounds desperate. Sounds like a hack.

You get what you pay for - I'll pay, thank you very much.

On the other hand, as mentioned above, offering the free cut AFTER having performed "X" amount of cuts sounds like a great offer. It's all in how you present it.

wat5150
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I bet if you knocked on Cheeses door with your berries hanging out he would hire you to cut his lawn.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
On the other hand, as mentioned above, offering the free cut AFTER having performed "X" amount of cuts sounds like a great offer. It's all in how you present it.

The best part of this deal is your guaranteed 4 cuts. After the free cut your most likely going to retain them for the rest of the season.

The problem with marketing free and cheap is thats what you get. A bunch of cheap customers looking for freebies.

branchoutshrub
07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
We never advertise "free". Around here, people tend to think you are desperate for work or you have no clue what you are doing. They don't want their property your learning playground.

Steve
07-24-2012, 12:27 PM
How many flyers did you put out in total?

WorkForMySelf
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Alright, I'll give you a small tip. So feel free to slide me a couple bucks for a beer after it works.

CRAIGSLIST!!! This site has got me a whole bunch of new customers. But, theres a trick to it. Make the title of your ad catchy. Thats the BIG thing! Everyone posts subjects as: XXXX Lawn Service, Click here for lawn care, just take a look what people are using in your area and use something different. I used one as simple as "Summer is here!!!" and got a few emails. Different is better. Be funny with it too! In your ad, make it work for you. Tell the customers about your services offered, and put in your service area. Add in there some contact info and you'll be all set! After 2 days, log into your account and go to the ad's you have posted. Click on "renew" and your ad will start at the top of the list. Good luck!

Craigslist... you may as well give him a gun and tell him to go kill himself. Craigslist has lots of potential clientele.. they are just all cheap POS

thenewguy26
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies!! i got the idea off this site but guess i misunderstood what the guy was talking about.... but i took all those flyers down and put new ones up... Hopefully ill get some calls soon..

thenewguy26
07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Steve,

I put out a total of 15 around at local restaurants and such. Like I said I got the calls but after I performed my service they never called back and I expected a few but guess people are a lot cheaper than I thought. Lesson Learned I suppose. I also got 4 contracted clients from it but they insisted on paying me. Where I live lawn care if very competitive cause everyone with a mower thinks they can do it so I just want to gain and edge on the so called "common guy". Cause I know what i'm doing due to experience of cutting at my college the past 3 years. I just lack the budget at the moment.

Thanks

Steve
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I just lack the budget at the moment.

Keep marketing through your social networks. Have your friends and family hand out business cards from you as well. Talk to your neighbors and give them cards too. You don't need money to market. If you have time to do it, you will be all set.