PDA

View Full Version : testarossa mowers

samauri
07-23-2012, 05:05 AM
hi do any of you fellas in the states use testarossa lawn mowers?
here in nz its all any of the contractors seem to use. i just bought one and its pretty good and light being plastic and all,

Steve
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi and welcome to our forum!

I have never seen them here. What do you like/dislike about them?

samauri
07-24-2012, 01:10 AM
just that theyre plastic so they weigh nothing, and you can put a bigger motor on em and still have a light set up. i don use a self propelled mower so its much lighter to use all day, i thought that they would sell heaps in usa.?

samauri
07-24-2012, 06:34 AM
thats what i thought untill i used one. its then best switch ive ever made. way better than steel or aloy. they last about six months of abuse then put the motor on a new body,

Von Bobbeh
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Google turned up with a 5.5hp model. That's no bigger engine then my toro with 6.75 "ft-lb" torque. But I like the heavy 22" steel deck, I guess I'm just a fanboy.

samauri
07-25-2012, 02:02 AM
yea for sure, if you work right they will do a year and are cheeper that steel. they have a fan forced and a pretty well designed rear shoot so you can mow in heavy rain and never block up. that and the fact that you can do 15 lawns with the same efort as 10 with a metal frame one makes them pretty sweet. mine has the new brigs 850 on it. big.

PVMS
07-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Hey Samurai, I have never heard of one, and I live practically next door in Aus. Most contractors here use Rover, Honda, Masport or Proscape. The Briggs 850 is an old engine. Americans know it as the 800 series. I run one on my Rover Pro Cut, and they are a good engine. Many contractors dropped Honda when they stuffed the design of the rear shoot and made it small. Always clogging in damp grass.
The Rover 22inch has the gearbox ontop of the deck, which allows a full width rear shoot. Never cloggs up. They are also built like a tank, but light enough with alloy deck.
Interested in your plastic mower, but 6 months? My Rover deck will last 6 years or more. How much are the replacement decks?

dpld
07-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey Samurai, I have never heard of one, and I live practically next door in Aus. Most contractors here use Rover, Honda, Masport or Proscape. The Briggs 850 is an old engine. Americans know it as the 800 series. I run one on my Rover Pro Cut, and they are a good engine. Many contractors dropped Honda when they stuffed the design of the rear shoot and made it small. Always clogging in damp grass.
The Rover 22inch has the gearbox ontop of the deck, which allows a full width rear shoot. Never cloggs up. They are also built like a tank, but light enough with alloy deck.
Interested in your plastic mower, but 6 months? My Rover deck will last 6 years or more. How much are the replacement decks?

i bought a small honda push mower back in 1995 that was made of the ABS plastic and i still have that machine on my trailer today.
granted, i don't use small mowers much and i have a occassional small patch to do but the mower has been used and subjected to being on a trailer with big mowers for 17 years and i was a skeptic at first but it has held up nicely.

plastics have come a long way and our cars are mostly plastic and there are motors partially made of plastic so i would not worry about a plastic mower deck.

if it is made of the same high quality as the honda i own i would have to think he was exaggerating on the 6 mos stuff.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
i bought a small honda push mower back in 1995 that was made of the ABS plastic and i still have that machine on my trailer today.
granted, i don't use small mowers much and i have a occassional small patch to do but the mower has been used and subjected to being on a trailer with big mowers for 17 years and i was a skeptic at first but it has held up nicely.

plastics have come a long way and our cars are mostly plastic and there are motors partially made of plastic so i would not worry about a plastic mower deck.

if it is made of the same high quality as the honda i own i would have to think he was exaggerating on the 6 mos stuff.

I have one of these mowers too. I dont think its the same material. The honda plastic deck is patented. Its heavy 80-90lbs.

dpld
07-25-2012, 03:27 PM
I have one of these mowers too. I dont think its the same material. The honda plastic deck is patented. Its heavy 80-90lbs.

i am sure it is heavier than the newer stuff but it is not even close to 80-90lbs.
maybe we are talking two different machines but the one i got is like 5 hp or so like 22 in cut with rear bagger.
it is not self propelled but when the bag gets full it does get heavy.

all in all it is not a bad machine for what little i use it.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-25-2012, 03:38 PM
i am sure it is heavier than the newer stuff but it is not even close to 80-90lbs.
maybe we are talking two different machines but the one i got is like 5 hp or so like 22 in cut with rear bagger.
it is not self propelled but when the bag gets full it does get heavy.

all in all it is not a bad machine for what little i use it.

yeah, mine is self propelled. Its a NeXite deck with lifetime warranty. This is the material that bumpers and helmets are made of. Heres a video of the deck being run over by a suv. http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/hrx-nexite-deck

dpld
07-25-2012, 06:36 PM
yeah, mine is self propelled. Its a NeXite deck with lifetime warranty. This is the material that bumpers and helmets are made of. Heres a video of the deck being run over by a suv. http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/hrx-nexite-deck

thats her.

samauri
07-28-2012, 01:09 AM
i would have to think he was exaggerating on the 6 mos stuff.

yea i will def go longer than that f treated right, i mean you might get some chips or cracks at that point if you use them hard. they are so well made tho very robust and light as