PDA

View Full Version : Upsell This Customer.

JLM
07-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I want a full service weekly package My lawn is 2,200 sq' I have 13 planter beds in the front that will require line trimming, edging, weed puling and hedging. I need the sidewalk and driveway edged on a bi weekly basis My back yard is full of lush grass. I want it cut at 3" weekly I had a guy doing my yard for 4 years for 20.00 per service it took him 1.5 hours, He used a push mower and a lawn tractor.

How would you upsell this customer? knowing you could use your ZTR and run this lawn in 30 min flat with 2 men.

Bottom line I charged the ol lady 160.00 per month I cut the lawn one time and she said...I thought it would of taken you longer than that..as quick as you got done thats worth 10 bucks and thats all your gonna get!

I told her I could do it in 30 min I guess she did not believe me.

Funny stuff.... First time for everything I guess.

10 Bucks YAAY:p

FentonC
07-22-2012, 09:44 PM
The guy has to be lying about the $20 per service from the previous service provider. There is absolutely no profit at what he is asking for.

willshome
07-22-2012, 09:51 PM
20.00 per service it took him 1.5 hours, He used a push mower and a lawn tractor.

thats $13.33 an hour then take out gas, wear&tear.... starting to sound like minimum wage or less

Run a way and don't look back!!!

brian'slawncare
07-22-2012, 10:15 PM
wait...let me get this straight.

You did the lawn in 30 minutes and because it was so fast she only gave you $10?? What did you say to her?

Grass Doctor
07-22-2012, 10:18 PM
fock that :D

JLM
07-23-2012, 04:37 PM
wait...let me get this straight.

You did the lawn in 30 minutes and because it was so fast she only gave you $10?? What did you say to her?

Nuthin.... I just kinda chuckled a lil bit. It made me feel so damn bad I wont even take the money from her.

Steve
07-24-2012, 12:00 PM
How did she react when you told her your price and it was twice what she used to pay? Were you concerned when she told you the price the previous guy was charging?

op25ttfd
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
My wife does all of our price estimating and bids for potential customers and she is flat out honest when she tells them that my husband is not gonna open the trailer door and pull out the blower for no less than $30.00 per cut. When you only wanna pay $20.00 you will find someone who does a crappy $20.00 job and likely will not have the insurance to repair or replace anything if something happens to their property.

JLM
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
How did she react when you told her your price and it was twice what she used to pay? Were you concerned when she told you the price the previous guy was charging?

To be honest I thought I sold myself to her....she did not even flinch when she heard the price. I run into low ballers all the time here in my area and yes I was worried that I may loose this bid because of the price she was paying before. I just dont think she believed I could do the same job as the other fella in a half hour. She just did not feel that she got the time she was paying for. Speed can be your friend in this business but sometimes it can be your enemy.....Story of our lives LOL!

branchoutshrub
07-24-2012, 07:35 PM
We had a retired guy in an area I mow. He did jobs for very little money. Basically money to eat out with. He passed away and now some of his customers want the same prices and some know they got a great deal for these past years. They will all come around, but mowing a yard, trimming and blowing for little profit is pointless.

Von Bobbeh
07-25-2012, 10:14 AM
$10? TEN DOLLARS?!!?!? Man sometimes I think people forget what INFLATION is and they think they are paying you well, as if it were 40 years ago.