PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil

CHEESE2009
07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
My tractor is burning oil, you can smell it in the mornings, but throughout the day it's good.

I checked it, the oil was still good, filled it to the proper levels again... but it's still burning every morning.

It's the right oil that I've been using.

I really don't feel like changing it, so someone lie and tell me everything will sort itself out over time :p

wat5150
07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
How many hours on your machine? Sounds like oil is burning off top of pistons. This usually mean rings are going. But if your burning it it isnt because your oil is old or bad. What weight oil is it?

wandfsmall
07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
My tractor is burning oil, you can smell it in the mornings, but throughout the day it's good.

I checked it, the oil was still good, filled it to the proper levels again... but it's still burning every morning.

It's the right oil that I've been using.

I really don't feel like changing it, so someone lie and tell me everything will sort itself out over time :p

I would say that it is not a lie that it will sort itself out over time, just might require a new engine when it does :D

bruces
07-22-2012, 07:08 PM
if you ignore it like the stalker guy ,it will go away .Try a clothespin on your nose in the morning ,it should help with the oil burning engine worn out ready to explode thing at least untill it ......explodes .

Willco
07-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Check your valve cover gaskets. Even a very small seep will cause it to smell like burning oil till it warms up good.
Or just get a bigger hammer.

CHEESE2009
07-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys!

I guess I'm just going to wait for the explosion. I need some sort of entertainment to capture on video for all of you.

rock on forum!

Godslapper
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I would try a little engine restore. Check valve covers. I have a John Deer walk behind that has been blowing blue smoke on start up for years, and is still running strong.

CS-LawnService
07-23-2012, 05:18 AM
Scott
If your only smelling or seeing the burning oil when starting it up in the morning then check the valve seals .the seals have a small leak that will allow the oil to seep into the cylender over night while the machine sits.

Steve
07-23-2012, 01:49 PM
How does a potential bad valve cover gasket allow oil to seep into the cylinder while it is at rest? I thought it's purpose was simply to keep oil inside the engine?

Does the engine design effect this if the cylinder is horizontal or vertical?

CS-LawnService
07-24-2012, 05:42 AM
How does a potential bad valve cover gasket allow oil to seep into the cylinder while it is at rest? I thought it's purpose was simply to keep oil inside the engine?

Does the engine design effect this if the cylinder is horizontal or vertical?

not the valve cover gasket Steve The Valve seal . its a part that goes between the valve stem and the cylender head that the valve slides up and down through http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/pics/valve_expl.gif

Steve
07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Great graphic! Thanks.

When the valve seal starts to go, I am guessing that can cause oil to pool inside the cylinder while at rest but it can also allow oil to seep in while it's running?

WorkForMySelf
07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Just do what everyone else does and try to sell it to me online...

Steve
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
LOL there's another option.

wandfsmall
07-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Great graphic! Thanks.

When the valve seal starts to go, I am guessing that can cause oil to pool inside the cylinder while at rest but it can also allow oil to seep in while it's running?

yes it can but not enough that you would notice a drop in oil. He has a problem that we can guess about all we want but to tell for sure he has to take it to a qualified mechanic that can do some tests such as leak down to find out the problems with his engine.

jasonw
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
My dozer started out just like that, now its parked and rotting. At first it would burn oil, smoke a little in the morning then be cool the rest of the day. It only got worse and worse until one day I found the oil to be about 1 gallon over full. What happened is the carb is wore out and the gas ran past the needle seat when it was parked and slowly filling the case up with gas. If you keep running it like this "assuming it's the same problem" it WILL grenade the motor, The fix is easy, a $50 carb kit. I have yet to fix mine because it's money and I really have no work for it yet. When it comes time to cut next years fire breaks on my property I will have to get it fixed though.

wandfsmall
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
My dozer started out just like that, now its parked and rotting. At first it would burn oil, smoke a little in the morning then be cool the rest of the day. It only got worse and worse until one day I found the oil to be about 1 gallon over full. What happened is the carb is wore out and the gas ran past the needle seat when it was parked and slowly filling the case up with gas. If you keep running it like this "assuming it's the same problem" it WILL grenade the motor, The fix is easy, a $50 carb kit. I have yet to fix mine because it's money and I really have no work for it yet. When it comes time to cut next years fire breaks on my property I will have to get it fixed though.

that would not be burning oil it would be adding gas to the oil, and again if left long enough it would wash out the cylinder and destroy the engine. Also put a manual fuel shutoff in line and you will fix most of that problem and stop it from happening again.

jasonw
07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
It is burning oil by building to much pressure in the case and creating blow by, the oil that is burning is being introduced into the fuel system via the tube from the breather to the air filter.

A manual shut off is a GREAT idea, then I would still be able to use it until I get it fixed, right now its just sitting out on my property rotting away until I get the money and ambition to fix it, I think I will run down and get one today, thanks.

I miss my dozer.