PDA

View Full Version : Postcard mailings????

LawnBoy0311
07-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Anyone utilize this service? By that I mean paying an outside company to mail postcards for you. I have been thinking about it, but I don't know if I want to spend the $$ for it. Call me cheap. If you've done it, have you had any responses from it?

LawnBoy0311
07-21-2012, 09:31 PM
well said, Sir. time to think of a new idea.

Willco
07-21-2012, 09:38 PM
I get a 1 to 2 percent response from postcards, but I do 2 to 3 mailings to the same customer within 1 to 2 weeks. I only send out about 100 at a time. I design and mail them myself.

LawnBoy0311
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I get a 1 to 2 percent response from postcards, but I do 2 to 3 mailings to the same customer within 1 to 2 weeks. I only send out about 100 at a time. I design and mail them myself.

I thought about doing that myself. I never thought about mailing a few times...good idea!

hansenslawncare
07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Mailers is a great idea...not sure about the company though.

hansenslawncare
07-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Not everyone throws away every piece of "junk mail."

Knowing that...mailing services know that the standard in the biz is a 98 percent fail rate...2 percent win rate.

But that's okay. because almost always that 2 percent will more than pay for the cost of the mailers in that first year...and every year you keep those customers from that 2 percent, you are no longer advertising to them...

So I say go for it. I'm planning on doing 5-10K postcards this year.

Sometimes you have to stretch your mind into the realm of the possible! Success rarely comes to those who play it safe...

JLM
07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Buddy last year I spent 500.00 on this crap I got 1 phone call and thats all it was...a Phone call.

hansenslawncare
07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Buddy last year I spent 500.00 on this crap I got 1 phone call and thats all it was...a Phone call.

Sorry to hear that man...but to be honest with ya, 500 isn't nearly enough. I sent out almost 4K and that wasn't enough. You need to do a minimum of 5K, or better yet do 10K. I understand it's a lot of money, but it does work. A professionally designed logo and postcard makes a big difference.

I hand write all of mine...and I write their name, instead of "current resident"

Of course people will throw stuff out when it says that. But if it says, "Mr. Tom Larson" that's a different story.

dpld
07-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Not everyone throws away every piece of "junk mail."

Knowing that...mailing services know that the standard in the biz is a 98 percent fail rate...2 percent win rate.

But that's okay. because almost always that 2 percent will more than pay for the cost of the mailers in that first year...and every year you keep those customers from that 2 percent, you are no longer advertising to them...

So I say go for it. I'm planning on doing 5-10K postcards this year.

Sometimes you have to stretch your mind into the realm of the possible! Success rarely comes to those who play it safe...

stretching into the realm of the possible would be to create your own mailing list of top tier homes that actually use these services and have your own mailers made up in multiple styles and mail them your self at the bulk postage rate.

mass mailers are a waste of time and just send out mailers to every address in every town you pay for.
how many die hard do it yourselfers get your mailer? how many competitors get your mailer? i get dozens a week sent to me of my competitors mailers and not only is his mailer getting sent to a mailbox he would never get any business from he is also showing his competition what his specials are.

with mailings it is all about quality not quantity, you sent better quality and larger size mailers on top quality card stock targeted to high end homes from a list you created rather then basic cheap run of the mill mailers to the masses.

LawnBoy0311
07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
mass mailers are a waste of time and just send out mailers to every address in every town you pay for.
how many die hard do it yourselfers get your mailer? how many competitors get your mailer? i get dozens a week sent to me of my competitors mailers and not only is his mailer getting sent to a mailbox he would never get any business from he is also showing his competition what his specials are.

with mailings it is all about quality not quantity, you sent better quality and larger size mailers on top quality card stock targeted to high end homes from a list you created rather then basic cheap run of the mill mailers to the masses.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what i was thinking of doing! I can get on my county website GIS and it tells me the homeowners name, as well as print an address label for each one you want. This way i can target who i want.

dpld
07-24-2012, 10:53 AM

with mailings it is all about quality not quantity, you sent better quality and larger size mailers on top quality card stock targeted to high end homes from a list you created rather then basic cheap run of the mill mailers to the masses.

Exactly what i was thinking of doing! I can get on my county website GIS and it tells me the homeowners name, as well as print an address label for each one you want. This way i can target who i want.[/QUOTE]

that is how i been doing it for the last 23 years and that is how all the big corporate co's do it.
outside of hard work and doing a good job manageing the business, target marketing is the sole reason why i have what i have today.

no phone book, mass mailers, or web site is gonna do for you like good old fashioned boots on the ground hunting for ideal properties and neihborhoods creating a mailing list and doing it yourself will.
that is the beauty of being in the maintenence biz you go back every week and depending on the size of your company there is the ideal threshold to how much you can do in a week and make a good profit.

there comes a point in time where you build up the customer base you need and your job is to do a good job and keep your clients happy and then from there just bring in some occassional new customers to increase the bottom line.
when you appeal to the masses you get all the cheap skates, tire kickers and bare minimum crowd.
in order to be successful you need to focus on the customers that the landscape business is taylored for and mass mailers just don't do that.

hansenslawncare
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
stretching into the realm of the possible would be to create your own mailing list of top tier homes that actually use these services and have your own mailers made up in multiple styles and mail them your self at the bulk postage rate.

Great advice DPLD...I also make my own list for selective neighborhoods. I forgot to mention that.

stonegatedesigns
08-07-2012, 09:21 AM
I did the mailing this year but like most I went out to the neighborhoods and got the addresses I wanted off the houses or mail boxes. Out of the hundreds of flyers and post cards sent out I got 3 large lawn installs and that was it. This is my first year as a company and it has been a rough one however I refuse to be one that fails so itís out to the pounding the pavement again today.

xandrew245x
08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
I did the mailing this year but like most I went out to the neighborhoods and got the addresses I wanted off the houses or mail boxes. Out of the hundreds of flyers and post cards sent out I got 3 large lawn installs and that was it. This is my first year as a company and it has been a rough one however I refuse to be one that fails so itís out to the pounding the pavement again today.

I think postcards are more effective if you target certain areas. What I'm planning on doing is sending out postcards with specials on them to a housing development that is higher class and has property sizes of at least 1 acre. I'm only sending out about 100 post cards, I might do more than one mailing if I get atleast 1-2 customers from this and I do a great job, they start talking about me and word of mouth gets me more customers. Its all in how you use the postcards.

jymie
08-07-2012, 08:52 PM
https://www.usps.com/business/every-door-direct-mail.htm

Pick the neighborhood you want to advertise to. Seems like a good deal.

Chaz
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Yall are all doing it all wrong, send a letter introducing your business to the person.

I am currently printing out 1300 letters

i will have the letter inside a #10 envelope with a business card

It will cost me $0.223 per letter including postage, envelope, business card, ink, paper.

It will take a lot of time though stuffing all of them... I think im going to pay a couple of friends to help

I did this earlier in the year with about 300 letters got about $10k in business from it (and still counting) a lot of people hang on to them.

maybe this mailing will give me $40k?:D

This is my first in business year by the way

xandrew245x
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Yall are all doing it all wrong, send a letter introducing your business to the person.

I am currently printing out 1300 letters

i will have the letter inside a #10 envelope with a business card

It will cost me $0.223 per letter including postage, envelope, business card, ink, paper.

It will take a lot of time though stuffing all of them... I think im going to pay a couple of friends to help

I did this earlier in the year with about 300 letters got about $10k in business from it (and still counting) a lot of people hang on to them.

maybe this mailing will give me $40k?:D

This is my first in business year by the way

Not sure where you live, but standard postage around here is $.44.

Chaz
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Not sure where you live, but standard postage around here is $.44.

You gotta think out side the box

Standard Postage Stamp is $.45

Post card is like $.29?

Every door direct is $.145

Jymie just posted the link for it

xandrew245x
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
You gotta think out side the box

Standard Postage Stamp is $.45

Post card is like $.29?

Every door direct is $.145

Jymie just posted the link for it

so they discount it that much for using every door direct?

Chaz
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
so they discount it that much for using every door direct?

yeah man, you don't even need an address list!

xandrew245x
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I thought about doing letters, I feel like its more personal, but I have a feeling they would get thrown away for the most part, but you have success with them, gives me more hope.

How did you go about putting all the name and addresses on the envelopes? I am thinking about just using windowed envelopes and putting the address and everything on the letter and show through the window.

Or do you give them the addresses and they do the rest?

Chaz
08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I thought about doing letters, I feel like its more personal, but I have a feeling they would get thrown away for the most part, but you have success with them, gives me more hope.

How did you go about putting all the name and addresses on the envelopes? I am thinking about just using windowed envelopes and putting the address and everything on the letter and show through the window.

Or do you give them the addresses and they do the rest?

try their demo too

xandrew245x
08-13-2012, 09:57 PM

try their demo too

Thats pretty cool, now it says 514 houses it would be delivered too, do I have to make that many letters or can you make less than that and they will hand it out to whoever it randomly generates?

Chaz
08-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Thats pretty cool, now it says 514 houses it would be delivered too, do I have to make that many letters or can you make less than that and they will hand it out to whoever it randomly generates?

im learning about it myself but im pretty sure u can exclude neighborhoods or specific addresses if u want

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 04:01 AM
i just got my "kit" from the usps. it makes no damn sense at all. or maybe i'm an idiot. it explains that your coming up with an advertisement to have the mailman deliver to every house on his/her route. you don't need address's, you can pick the target streets online when you create where you want them to be delivered. you can only do 500 at a time. the price is cheap too! one problem though...it doesn't even tell you how to create the ad!! i gotta do more research. if/when i figure it out, i want to try to get like 10,000 out.

xandrew245x
08-14-2012, 06:26 AM
i just got my "kit" from the usps. it makes no damn sense at all. or maybe i'm an idiot. it explains that your coming up with an advertisement to have the mailman deliver to every house on his/her route. you don't need address's, you can pick the target streets online when you create where you want them to be delivered. you can only do 500 at a time. the price is cheap too! one problem though...it doesn't even tell you how to create the ad!! i gotta do more research. if/when i figure it out, i want to try to get like 10,000 out.

From what I understand you just print the required stickers and stuff out and put them on your mail then take it to the post office that services that route. On the one printable sheet you can write excluded addresses, but wow if you only wanted to do 200 and you had 500 on that route, that would be a lot of excluded addresses to write down. I'm sure you can give them any amount under the amount your paying for..but you will be doing just that, paying for it so you mys well get your monies worth and send all 500.

Its a great deal though, I can target that same neighborhood i wanted to, plus the surrounding area for a total of 504 residential houses for only $74 in mailing cost. I'm going to guess maybe another $100 or so for paper, envelopes, ink and everything else, so only a total of at most $200 to send to 500 potential customers?? sounds like a great deal. My fiance works in an office, and she folds bills and puts them in envelopes, I guarantee she probably does more than 500 a week, and it doesn't take her too long.

I think I am going to give it a try, for $200 and reaching 500 potential clients, you just can't beat that!

Chaz
08-14-2012, 09:01 AM
From what I understand you just print the required stickers and stuff out and put them on your mail then take it to the post office that services that route. On the one printable sheet you can write excluded addresses, but wow if you only wanted to do 200 and you had 500 on that route, that would be a lot of excluded addresses to write down. I'm sure you can give them any amount under the amount your paying for..but you will be doing just that, paying for it so you mys well get your monies worth and send all 500.

Its a great deal though, I can target that same neighborhood i wanted to, plus the surrounding area for a total of 504 residential houses for only $74 in mailing cost. I'm going to guess maybe another $100 or so for paper, envelopes, ink and everything else, so only a total of at most $200 to send to 500 potential customers?? sounds like a great deal. My fiance works in an office, and she folds bills and puts them in envelopes, I guarantee she probably does more than 500 a week, and it doesn't take her too long.

I think I am going to give it a try, for $200 and reaching 500 potential clients, you just can't beat that!

I am doing 2 routes, with everything it will be 1301 houses and cost about $330

xandrew245x
08-14-2012, 09:12 AM
There is one neighborhood I really want to target, I think I am going to try it out. I mean its only $200, and if it works, I could make way more than that off of just one repeat customer.

Chaz
08-14-2012, 09:24 AM
There is one neighborhood I really want to target, I think I am going to try it out. I mean its only $200, and if it works, I could make way more than that off of just one repeat customer.

what state are you in?

xandrew245x
08-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Pennsylvania

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Alright I'm a bit slow. I have postcards now, can I use those? Am I printing labels and putting them on the post cards?

Chaz
08-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Alright I'm a bit slow. I have postcards now, can I use those? Am I printing labels and putting them on the post cards?

you have gotta get the free kit from usps or stop by ur post office and ask them about it, they prolly wont have a kit for free but they have one they can show u

LawnBoy0311
08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
you have gotta get the free kit from usps or stop by ur post office and ask them about it, they prolly wont have a kit for free but they have one they can show u

I got the free kit. It didn't tell me how to make the ad's. I'll try to look it over this weekend. To make the kit short and sweet, it pretty much says...go online and read about it.

Chaz
08-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I got the free kit. It didn't tell me how to make the ad's. I'll try to look it over this weekend. To make the kit short and sweet, it pretty much says...go online and read about it.

the postal service has a list of online companies that will print and create your ad for you

also, it really helps to talk to someone at the post office, because they are going to be ones who decide if they can accept it. so ask them, make sure you ask them how they should be labeled and all as well.

LawnBoy0311
08-15-2012, 06:03 AM
that makes more sense.

I'll try talking to someone at the post office. I try never to go there, the turn over rate is high where I live. The lines are long, workers are lazy/rude/using the "Thats not my department" excuse. Maybe if I sprinkle some powder on my hand and give them the ole 5 fingers to the face, they will help me.

xandrew245x
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
that makes more sense.

I'll try talking to someone at the post office. I try never to go there, the turn over rate is high where I live. The lines are long, workers are lazy/rude/using the "Thats not my department" excuse. Maybe if I sprinkle some powder on my hand and give them the ole 5 fingers to the face, they will help me.

Let us know what you find out, i'm curious if you can send postcards and other sorts of mail like this. From what I read it just has to weigh under 6oz and be a certain thickness and its good to go. I didn't see anything about actual size.

xandrew245x
08-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I ordered a free kit. I did a little more reading on it, and I guess they can do different sizes, so it sounds like you could mail postcards if you wanted.

LawnBoy0311
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
After reading a half a page of this...

https://ribbs.usps.gov/simplifiedmail/documents/SMPuserguide.pdf

I realized its not even worth my time. If I understood it right, you have to have an imprint of their symbol on your post cards? This sounds like a big hassle to me. I think I'll just buy a crap ton of stamps and mail them out myself.

If anyone has used Every Day Direct Mail, share your story with us.

stevef1201
08-22-2012, 11:47 AM
that makes more sense.

I think they want a little pwder srinkled on the counter and short straw-if you know what I mean

xandrew245x
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I received my free kit today, from what I understand its only for sending postcards and such. I don't know if you can send stuff in envelopes, correct me if I am wrong.

From what I understand all you have to put on one small section is the words "Local Postal Customer" the return address, and a place for the stamp, you then bundle them into 50-100 groups, and print and apply the forward slip with the amount in each bundle and the rest of the information. You then just take it to the right post office, pay for it and off it goes.

Chaz
08-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Post cards are too small.

Even #10 envelopes are too small unless they are .25" thick

pay attention to the size requirements take a sample and ask your local post office if they will accept it before you print them.

I sent 1,301 and they went out today, got 4 calls in like 3 hours, expecting many more tomorrow. :D

Postage was only like $188.65

vs stamps @ $585.45

and without the hassle or cost of getting a mailing list.

LawnBoy0311
08-23-2012, 04:34 AM

pay attention to the size requirements take a sample and ask your local post office if they will accept it before you print them.

I sent 1,301 and they went out today, got 4 calls in like 3 hours, expecting many more tomorrow. :D

vs stamps @ $585.45

Alright, enlighten me. Because now I'm curious how it works.

Did you find a place to print your ad's? Then after printing them and getting them, you took them to the post office and they did the rest? What exactly did you have to do? I plan to send out like 10,000 for next year, and need to start planning now. By getting those calls, I'm not shocked at all. I was reading an article yesterday and they say mailing ad's to houses is still the #1 method of advertising. But 4 calls in 3 hours, thats insane!

xandrew245x
08-23-2012, 06:01 AM

vs stamps @ $585.45

What are you talking about? Postcards are not to small, in my free kit, one of the examples was a regular post card.

I think you are confused, it says it has to be a minimum of .007" thick, which is only 3 sheets of paper thick. Then it can be any greater than .25"

It only has to be at least .25" thick IF it does exceed 10.5" in length or .6.125" in height.

So yes, if you were sending envelopes they would have to be atleast .25"

xandrew245x
08-23-2012, 06:24 AM
What are you talking about? Postcards are not to small, in my free kit, one of the examples was a regular post card.

I think you are confused, it says it has to be a minimum of .007" thick, which is only 3 sheets of paper thick. Then it can be any greater than .25"

It only has to be at least .25" thick IF it does exceed 10.5" in length or .6.125" in height.

So yes, if you were sending envelopes they would have to be atleast .25"

And out of curiosity, how did you get your envelopes to be .25" thick? Did you stuff them that full of material, or did you buy bigger envelopes.

Also, did you print all the required stuff on the front of it with your printer, or did you order envelopes? I guess it wouldn't be to hard to draw something up in photoshop and print a couple hundred envelopes, I did find a website that I can buy them from though.

Lawnboy, you design and print your material, in the lower right hand side from what I understand you have to put the box for the stamp, your return address and the words "local postal customer" this is what I understood from my free kit, but chaz would know since he has actually done this before.

BTW ignore the .007" thickness, that is if it is considered a parcel, and I assume you can't ship parcels with every door direct?

xandrew245x
08-23-2012, 08:42 AM
I talked to my local post office, they said I can use #10 envelopes with every door direct mailing.

She said that to just follow the same steps as I would as if I was sending a flat, she said just pick the route, print and fill out the information needed, and print the information on the front of the envelopes that is required.

Chaz
08-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Alright, enlighten me. Because now I'm curious how it works.

Did you find a place to print your ad's? Then after printing them and getting them, you took them to the post office and they did the rest? What exactly did you have to do? I plan to send out like 10,000 for next year, and need to start planning now. By getting those calls, I'm not shocked at all. I was reading an article yesterday and they say mailing ad's to houses is still the #1 method of advertising. But 4 calls in 3 hours, thats insane!

I actually printed the required stuff for the post office on envelopes printed letters then put my business card in it sealed them and after 1300 took them to post office after i chose which routes i wanted and they did the rest.

with 10,000 I would highly recommend you get them printed, it would be more cost efficient probably with such a high number.

Chaz
08-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I talked to my local post office, they said I can use #10 envelopes with every door direct mailing.

She said that to just follow the same steps as I would as if I was sending a flat, she said just pick the route, print and fill out the information needed, and print the information on the front of the envelopes that is required.

Ok, look I asked my local post office if number 10 was good, they said yes, they called around to other post masters they all said yes, then i guess they called the head honcho who was out of town for a week so after i had printed them she said no. #10 envelopes will not work. she said that they do not meet the requirements for EDDM. However, since they had already told me yes they said that they would send what I have printed.

If you just put 1 paper inside an envelope and close it, and lay it flat on the table it will poof to be about .25" I didn't bother trying to argue this because there was no need since they would allow what I had anyway.

The #10 envelopes don't meet the Length and Width requirements. It has to be like 11.5" Long OR 6.5" Tall OR .25" thick (I don't have the packet in front of me) So yes, if you turn the envelope vertical It will be more than 6.5" tall, however, there is a statement somewhere on one of the pages that says that the longest side is the length and the shortest side is the height (or something to that extent). Like I said I don have the packet in front of me so I cannot tell you what page it's on.

BUT If your Post office will accept the #10 envelopes, that's on them if someone else tells them that they can't do that, so go for it!

Also so far I have received 6 or 7 calls total from this advertising. gave two estimates today, one couldn't afford (these people were like 85+ years old)

Got a new lawn that is priced at $135 a cut, Yeah, its big.

Chaz
08-23-2012, 11:58 PM
http://www.everydoordirectmail.com/Pricing

I'd love to do 10k. that includes postage. $2,700 - $2,900

I received 7 calls within the first 24 hours of mailing these out. Could you imagine getting 50 calls? :eek:

50 calls at a .5% response rate

even cheaper 10k post cards at just over 7 cents a piece

http://www.40offset.com/products/postcards

LawnBoy0311
08-24-2012, 04:07 AM
I get it now, it all makes sense. Thanks for the help! It seems as if no one can figure it out, and every postal worker says something different. The response time from your mailing is pretty damn quick!

I think I want to try and do 10,000 early next year, all on postcards. My business this year has picked up really quick, I didn't plan on it doing this well. So I have some big plans for next year, I figure 10,000 will give me a good start.

xandrew245x
08-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Ok, look I asked my local post office if number 10 was good, they said yes, they called around to other post masters they all said yes, then i guess they called the head honcho who was out of town for a week so after i had printed them she said no. #10 envelopes will not work. she said that they do not meet the requirements for EDDM. However, since they had already told me yes they said that they would send what I have printed.

If you just put 1 paper inside an envelope and close it, and lay it flat on the table it will poof to be about .25" I didn't bother trying to argue this because there was no need since they would allow what I had anyway.

The #10 envelopes don't meet the Length and Width requirements. It has to be like 11.5" Long OR 6.5" Tall OR .25" thick (I don't have the packet in front of me) So yes, if you turn the envelope vertical It will be more than 6.5" tall, however, there is a statement somewhere on one of the pages that says that the longest side is the length and the shortest side is the height (or something to that extent). Like I said I don have the packet in front of me so I cannot tell you what page it's on.

BUT If your Post office will accept the #10 envelopes, that's on them if someone else tells them that they can't do that, so go for it!

Also so far I have received 6 or 7 calls total from this advertising. gave two estimates today, one couldn't afford (these people were like 85+ years old)

Got a new lawn that is priced at $135 a cut, Yeah, its big.

She said to me she was pretty sure, but before I went crazy she was going to double check, she said she would call someone, I forget who and get back to me. She called me back and said yes they are okay, they just are not considered a flat, they are considered a parcel, and can still be used. I am going to give the post office a call that I am going to be mailing out of and see what they say.

If worst comes to worse, I can get #12 envelopes which are big enough!:p

On a second note, the whole packet says about "flats" but there is a really small section that talks about parcels, which are anything .007" thicken min and 3" min size, and the way it seems they can be shipped using every door direct, I mean why else would they even mention it on the packet then?

xandrew245x
08-24-2012, 06:32 AM
I get it now, it all makes sense. Thanks for the help! It seems as if no one can figure it out, and every postal worker says something different. The response time from your mailing is pretty damn quick!

I think I want to try and do 10,000 early next year, all on postcards. My business this year has picked up really quick, I didn't plan on it doing this well. So I have some big plans for next year, I figure 10,000 will give me a good start.

I am only part time, so I think I am going to do about 500, if I get 1 or 2 from that I would be happy, and then maybe i'll target another neighborhood, or follow up that neighborhood with some postcards or something.

I only want about 10-12 mowing clients for now, I would like to have friday evenings off and sundays for family time. If I grow more then I will defiantly hire someone if i can't handle it.

Since the postage would only be about $140, maybe i'll send out about 1,000, 500 letters and 500 postcards and compare the results. I would easily be able to tell which item gave me a call based off of where they live.

I was just at the courthouse tuesday for my marriage license, I should have went and registered my business!:p

LawnBoy0311
08-24-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm part time too. I started June 1st with 2 customers. Last night I had 15. I have a helper with me too. Most are biweekly accounts, I have a few weekly. But during my "slower" weeks, I have other projects to do. Its been very busy for me, which is good. I agree 100000000% about fridays!! I try to get everything done by friday so I can drink my face off all weekend. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't....like today.

The way I see it, grow while you can. In 2 months I went from making $80 a month to $1500. my goal for next year is a full time guy cutting. He's already been hired and is 100% for the idea. Awesome worker too. We've already worked out the details.

xandrew245x
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm part time too. I started June 1st with 2 customers. Last night I had 15. I have a helper with me too. Most are biweekly accounts, I have a few weekly. But during my "slower" weeks, I have other projects to do. Its been very busy for me, which is good. I agree 100000000% about fridays!! I try to get everything done by friday so I can drink my face off all weekend. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't....like today.

The way I see it, grow while you can. In 2 months I went from making $80 a month to $1500. my goal for next year is a full time guy cutting. He's already been hired and is 100% for the idea. Awesome worker too. We've already worked out the details.

Called two local post offices, they both said I could use #10 envelopes with every door direct.

Called the small business support for usps, they told me no I can't, I said what about #12 envelopes which would exceed the 10.5 minimum length, they said no, you can't send envelopes at all with every door direct, so now I am even more confused.

They lady from small business support said you can only send postcards, so I guess that's what I will be doing unless I address and stamp a whole bunch of envelopes.

BTW I am really really irritated now!

LawnBoy0311
08-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Called two local post offices, they both said I could use #10 envelopes with every door direct.

Called the small business support for usps, they told me no I can't, I said what about #12 envelopes which would exceed the 10.5 minimum length, they said no, you can't send envelopes at all with every door direct, so now I am even more confused.

They lady from small business support said you can only send postcards, so I guess that's what I will be doing unless I address and stamp a whole bunch of envelopes.

BTW I am really really irritated now!

Exactly what I mean by its so much easier to buy a ton of stamps. I got an email from this guy today

michael.planty@usps.sutherlandglobal.com

He said to email him with questions. So everyone curious...feel free to email him!!

xandrew245x
08-24-2012, 02:41 PM
What did you ask him and what answer did he give? I am going to send him an email.

xandrew245x
08-24-2012, 07:30 PM
He was pretty quick to reply, he said no where in the rules does it say that envelopes can not be sent using direct mail services.

He said the best thing to do is get one together that I want to send and take it to the post office that serves the route I need, if they say I can send them, I am supposed to get their name so when I go back to mail all of them, and a different person says no, I can say so and so said I could.

Chaz
08-25-2012, 04:11 PM
..... Look, it requires 11.5 inches... not 10.5"... I have uploaded the picture of the size referencing. #12 envelopes aren't long enough either, (I think)

I scanned the page and have placed red boxes over the important parts.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1825/eddmmeasurements.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/eddmmeasurements.jpg/)

xandrew245x
08-26-2012, 05:52 PM
..... Look, it requires 11.5 inches... not 10.5"... I have uploaded the picture of the size referencing. #12 envelopes aren't long enough either, (I think)

I scanned the page and have placed red boxes over the important parts.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1825/eddmmeasurements.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/eddmmeasurements.jpg/)

I don't know how old your is, but I think its a little outdated, here is the one I received a week ago. Also I verified with both local post offices and the small business support office for usps that it is 10.5"

Chaz
08-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Probably received mine 6 - 8 weeks ago, maybe they changed it, or maybe its different for my state, that would be odd...

xandrew245x
08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Probably received mine 6 - 8 weeks ago, maybe they changed it, or maybe its different for my state, that would be odd...

Yeah that would be odd, I don't know why it would be different state to state or why they would change it in a couple weeks. :confused:

either way, I still don't know if I can use envelopes yet, need to get an example made up and taken to the post office.

Chaz
08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah that would be odd, I don't know why it would be different state to state or why they would change it in a couple weeks. :confused:

either way, I still don't know if I can use envelopes yet, need to get an example made up and taken to the post office.

does your kit have the same page? just with different numbers?

xandrew245x
08-28-2012, 06:32 AM
does your kit have the same page? just with different numbers?

It is laid out slightly different, but it does have all the same information, actually it looks to have a little more information.