PDA

View Full Version : Build dethatchers

hansenslawncare
07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Last spring I purchased a custom made dethatcher for my 36" Lesco. Now I have a 54" Lesco and need another dethatcher...so I decided to buy a welder and make my own.

Last winter...wait we didn't really have a winter in Minnesota. So I'm thinking that this year I would fabricate a bunch of dethatchers and try to sell them on craigslist, etc.

What do you all think?

Advice, good or bad I'll take it. Thanks everyone.

CHEESE2009
07-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I think that would be pretty cool!

Good way to make a few extra dollars! Go for it!

hansenslawncare
07-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks man...yeah I was hoping to make enough to put a nice down payment for a new mower...or whatever.

Thanks dude.

willshome
07-20-2012, 09:21 PM
so what would be your cost to make them time and supplies

hansenslawncare
07-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I'll hopefully have that answer this week. I'm trying to find a source to purchase bulk in steel...so as of yet I don't have an answer.

As far as labor, I think the first couple I make could take 2-3 hours. But after that I'll develop a system and pump them out pretty quick. But this all remains to be seen.

GrassBlaster
07-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Do you have any experiance welding? Because the welds are going to need to be done very well for something like this to hold up.

hansenslawncare
07-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Do you have any experiance welding? Because the welds are going to need to be done very well for something like this to hold up.

Great point...yes I have some experience welding. Mainly in stick welding, which I've heard is far more difficult than wire feed welding. I plan on building a couple for my mowers and testing them out before I try to sell one for someone else.

I am not planning on mass producing dethatchers in an effort to put jrco out of business...it's more of a side project/hobby during the winter.

Thanks guys keep the thoughts coming.

GrassBlaster
07-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I learned to weld in high school shop on a stick welder first, I picked that up really quick. Then we had to learn on a wire welder, I had a very hard time with one of those. Now I have two wire welders and use them alot. A buddy of mine has a stick welder like I learned to weld on at his shop, I cant't weld for crap with a stick welder anymore. I wan't to get a tig welder now so I can learn to weld stainless and aluminum.

ringahding1
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM
I want one for my Toro....I will be your test DUMMY...holla soldier...

hansenslawncare
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
No problem Ring!

Grass Doctor
07-22-2012, 09:47 PM
we need some prototype pics

willshome
07-22-2012, 09:57 PM
is this kind of like what your making tread (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=16151&highlight=dethatcher)

hansenslawncare
07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
we need some prototype pics

Good call...I'll take pics of my dethatcher on my 36" tomorrow.