PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Advice

sunsetlandscaping
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know any good irrigation books out there, I would like to add this service to my business in a couple years. I would moonlight with someone, but how would you do this being potential "competition"?

CHEESE2009
07-20-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm sure Toro has a few books.

Also, check this out LINK (http://www.toro.com/en-ca/professional-contractor/irrigation/pages/default.aspx)

Good luck man!

Godslapper
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
I thought that would be a good addition to the biz. What I found out was the the installation part was more than I wanted to get into, mostly because the competition can do it way faster and cheaper than I could. So I offered start up and shut down service. The competition charges way more than I do and it's not hard to do.

Let them install and you do the service part. The comp won't like you but your customers will. lol.

JLM
07-20-2012, 08:00 PM
The basics can be learned in books and the books are half right. Work with a true Irrigation professional for a while, Irrigation work is not as easy as it seems.

sunsetlandscaping
07-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Work with a true Irrigation professional for a while, Irrigation work is not as easy as it seems.

Brings me back to my second point. Who is going to be willing to work with you if you already have your name out there as a landscaping company. They would consider you competition in the future, and would be leary on training you wouldn't they?

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
07-22-2012, 07:39 AM
You would be surprised how many guys out there would help you out on jobs, give them a cut and pass some business thier way...I got to know a hardscaper in my area and he taught me several tricks of the trade, we pass work back and forth and help each other out on jobs...

JLM
07-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Brings me back to my second point. Who is going to be willing to work with you if you already have your name out there as a landscaping company. They would consider you competition in the future, and would be leary on training you wouldn't they?

If you look at it that way then yes you are right...who wants to help the competition?

Still to this day I network with local competition whom I have an outstanding business relationship with these professionals include tree services, irrigation professionals, Heavy equipment operators etc. Last year I was on a large landscaping job for a new warehouse in my area, my job was to landscape and irrigate the site in 45 days.. impossible goal if I go in alone! Irrigation was 20 zones with a satilite guided timer in witch I knew jack crap about. I called a well known irrigation provider and we hit a deal he would send his top irrigation man for X dollars per day we would trench, set, adjust, backfill. While the dude was there I assisted him, the knowledge this man had was unreal!! short story short we met the dedline and I now know a lil more than I did before. Any irrigation over 4 zones I call this company. Back scratching fells good you should try it sometime:p

sunsetlandscaping
07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I guess you got a point. I could network with my local fellow contractors and pass work their way. Thanks for the help guys.

Steve
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Could you help them with some jobs you pass along to learn about it?

sunsetlandscaping
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Steve, that sounds fair I think. Give them work in exchange for my learning. I like that idea, and just work for the experience.

Steve
07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Keep us updated on how that works out.

Upscale2
03-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Go to Hunter Irrigations website.
They have online training classes for FREE!
Lots of good information..

KUTravis
03-05-2013, 06:07 AM
What we have found that works is work closely with an irrigation company. We don't do installs, but the guy we work with is so busy he doesn't mind that we service systems. He understands that I will send him large jobs and I will take the small stuff on my lawns. Just being able to by a trencher is expensive and you need the work lined up and the knowledge will all take time. So contract out and it keeps your customers happy.

Steve
03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
What we have found that works is work closely with an irrigation company. We don't do installs, but the guy we work with is so busy he doesn't mind that we service systems.

What's your thoughts on the best way to reach out to potential business owners to see if they are willing to work with you like this? Also, should you work with more than one of them or is one good?

KUTravis
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
It helps that we have known the guy for a long time, but I would ask customers who they use. Then I would just watch what irrigation companies were constantly at the same houses. I feel that if an irrigation company comes and fixes a system they shouldn't be coming back week after week. This guy had a good reputation and he is small enough to want more work, but not so big that he is trying to steal work. I don't know if that makes since, but that is how we chose him. I put my business on the line at times with his name and I need to know that he is going to do quality work and I am not going to have to apologize to the customer for somebody else.

Most Wanted Landscape
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know any good irrigation books out there, I would like to add this service to my business in a couple years. I would moonlight with someone, but how would you do this being potential "competition"?

Irragation isn't something you can learn from a book IMO. If there was a book that would be helpful I would start with Rainbirds product manual. Then when you are faced with a situation you can think back about what you found there and find the right fit. Im a self taught Irragaiton nazi that's been hard at it for over 15 years. Best advise I can give you is don't buy your parts from home depot/lowes or the like. The stuff they sell is cheap garbage. Find yourself a sprinkler house or plumbing supply place you won't be sorry. Last bit of info is never .....I repeat never cut cornors on sprinkler repair or install. Flooding someones basement or killing $1000's of dollars worth of sod ISNT WORTH THE SMALL AMMOUT OF TIME/MONEY you might save.

Steve
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Flooding someones basement or killing $1000's of dollars worth of sod ISNT WORTH THE SMALL AMMOUT OF TIME/MONEY you might save.
Edit/Delete Message

In what ways could this happen? How have you seen some newer business owners cut corners and cause such problems?