PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

LennosLawncare
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I am 20 years old and I started my Lawn Care business when I was 18. I now have 35 well paying in town weekly customers.I also have some Bi-weekly Banks bank owned properties.This summer I have expanded into light landscaping such as mulch, bush trim etc. I have made several contacts with commercial properties mangers. I am well aware that a commercial manager is not going to deal with an uninsured company.I realize it is time for me to purchase liability insurance for my business. A good family friend is in charge of 10 McDonald's that I could bid on yearly. Also owning 15 condos that would need lawn and snow service. He would love to do business with me but I need insurance. These are just the properties I know that I could have. With insurance I could open my sales to many other clients. I am located in Ohio.What kinds of insurance rates could I expect to pay ?

Sprinkler Buddy
07-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't know the rates in Ohio but with accounts like that I have no doubt it would be well worth getting the insurance to grow your business. All that possibility at age 20, Great Job! :-)

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Liability Insurance is not exspensive and a must for your business, I suggest you call an agent today and discuss it..You are risking everything if you are working on someone's property uninsured....

Hedgemaster
07-19-2012, 03:23 PM
It was "time" two years ago, but better late than never.

You need to find out what type of coverage is required for the commercial work. I don't know for sure, but I think that some require higher amounts than typical "minimum" that most people get for residential mowing.

Find out if these commercial accounts require you to have workers comp insurance too.

Good luck!

wat5150
07-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Usually commercial or town accounts want a minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage. It shouldnt be too expensive for you(and well worth it if you can land those accounts). The only one that may cost you a little more is workers comp. That can get a little pricey.

shadrach
07-19-2012, 04:34 PM
2M/4M business liability includes spraying & 25k on equipment runs me about $650 per year. Have coverage for snow plowing too, but not sure if that part of the liability or if its rider on the commercial for the truck. Indiana if that helps

Godslapper
07-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Having insurance opens up a lot of oppertunity. You have been lucky so far. I pay about $850 a year here in NY. A lot of guys around here also have no insurance. I guess that's one of the reasons so many guys can mow a lawn for so much less than I can.

Glad to see your getting insurance. It's even more important as you build your business into something you don't want to loose. If you own anything at all, house, car, truck etc. You hope you won't need it but you never know.