PDA

View Full Version : New to the biz

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey guys, I'm from central PA and just recently started my lawn care business on the side of my full time job. I have always loved mowing and often thought about it being my job some day, but never really jumped on it.

Well I bought a toro timecutter 50" for my property, and thats when I decided I wanted to move on with my dream. I bought a 5x10 trailer, and a backpack blower. I already had a push mower, string trimmer and edger.

I'm pretty good at the mowing and trimming part, but i'm not so adept at the business part of it all. I'm really not quite sure how to estimate and give pricing.

I look forward to learning lots from this forum.

FentonC
07-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Welcome! This is a great place to do research and to get good feedback for your new business. What kind of advertising are you doing? Do you have any clients yet?

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you!

Right now I have a craiglist add running, a few lawn signs out, and today I handed out 50 door hangers with business card attached. At the local store I also have a hanger with business cards attached. I have also handed out a few people cards face to face with people and talked to them about my business.

Right now I mow my grandmothers yard and my moms house and her rental property. This week I have a one time mow for a guy that lives down the road from my parents. He drives truck though so its possible he may be a repeat customer :)

I plan on putting a 14 day add in the newspaper more towards fall.

sunsetlandscaping
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Good luck if you ever decide to do fliers up on push pin boards in hardware stores.(Very specific advertising I know) Every time I put my up in this one hardware store, some A-Hole rips it down within 24 hours. I have put up a flyer in this place like 4 times already. So d2d, word of mouth, craigslist, get on google, and the phone book have been my best source of advertisement.

Godslapper
07-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Flyers have never really worked for me and I have put out about 2 or 3 thousand just to make sure it wasn't cost effective. Stay away from the phone book. My yellow page add cost me $ 300 bucks a month and by the time the book was out the peak time to get calls was past. April/June. It sucks when the bill for the phone book comes in January and your last call was in July. Phone book is becomming a joke. Penny saver is still good. You can shut it off when the calls stop.

Most of the time it's word of mouth, but that takes a few years before you can say that works pretty good. Lots of hard and good quality work goes into that.

I like to do the clover leaf thing. You should give that a try.

sunsetlandscaping
07-16-2012, 05:13 AM
Flyers have never really worked for me and I have put out about 2 or 3 thousand just to make sure it wasn't cost effective. Stay away from the phone book. My yellow page add cost me $ 300 bucks a month and by the time the book was out the peak time to get calls was past. April/June. It sucks when the bill for the phone book comes in January and your last call was in July. Phone book is becomming a joke. Penny saver is still good. You can shut it off when the calls stop.

Most of the time it's word of mouth, but that takes a few years before you can say that works pretty good. Lots of hard and good quality work goes into that.
I like to do the clover leaf thing. You should give that a try.

Don't know what the clover leaf thing is, but I paid for a 1 year 1/2 inch add that comes out in Sept. Maybe it will give me some leaf clean up calls.

xandrew245x
07-16-2012, 05:57 AM
I'm curious to what clover leaf is too, I would give it a shot. I don't have a add in the yellow pages book, I have it on yellowpages.com, and I also have a website.

I plan on staying away from fliers for sure.

Steve
07-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Welcome to our forum!

I'm curious to what clover leaf is too

The Clover Leaf Lawn Care Marketing Technique (http://lawnchat.com/lawn-care-business/the-clover-leaf-lawn-care-marketing-technique.html).

xandrew245x
07-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Thanks steve. I have read about that before, I plan on making some new doorhangers that say something along the lines of I service your neighbor, would you consider trying my service too..

Steve
07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Yea thats a good idea! Try it out and see how it works!

xandrew245x
07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Will do! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

branchoutshrub
07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Good Luck with your new business! Having a website and flyers has worked great for us.

LawnBoy0311
07-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Flyers have done crap for me. I passed out 500 and got 1 phone call from a lady who wants it cut "as needed". I only took the account because I have to drive passed her house anyway, so its an easy $25 for 10 minutes of work. Not to mention the other stuff I sold her on. Craigslist has done wonders for me. Good customers too!!

xandrew245x
07-20-2012, 06:36 AM
I put a add on craigslist that I made in photoshop, I did that about a week and a half ago. Last night I added a whole bunch of tags to it.