PDA

View Full Version : New lawn care business

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, I have recently started a part time lawn care business. I have a lot of background with maintaining lawns. I have been taking care of my parents businesse's lawn, my grandmothers lawn, my moms house and my moms rental house for the past 3 years, so I have a little background with lawn care.

I'm set with my equipment, I have a 5x10 trailer, a 50" zero turn, a push mower, string trimmer, edger, backpack blower and a lawn sweeper.

So I can do the mowing and trimming part, but i can't say i'm to good at the business part, so I have a few questions.

My first question is pricing. I used the estimators on this site and for a lawn that I will be mowing this week for a new customer it says I should only be charging $12.50, that doesn't seem worth it. Should I say, charge a minimum service charge of $15-20 and then add the 12.50 on top of it?

My second question is, what happens if my clients grass doesn't need mowed yet for that week. Should I just mow it on a higher setting and charge them for it, or should I water their grass, and find some other things to do for them to occupy my time there, and then charge them for a visit.

Thank you in advance for all your input.

CHEESE2009
07-14-2012, 07:17 PM
The most common mistake I see people make, is charging only for when the lawn needs to be cut.

You charge them for a position on your schedule, whether their grass grows or not. This is how you make good money.

"Oh but my lawn doesn't need to be cut" - Doesn't matter, all or nothing.

If people charge only when the lawns need to be cut, they are probably suffering right now with how little the grass has actually grown. Not to mention, clients wait until the grass is up to your neck before they decide to call you.

Running an on-call business is trouble. Your equipment gets beat up, your schedule AND income aren't stable.

-

To avoid clients not wanting to pay you, you need to only accept post-dated checks.

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the answer.

I planned on having people sign service agreements for either weekly or bi weekly, I really don't want to just be an on call service, unless they only need it mowed once or twice a year,then I am fine with that, but will collect payment first.

I'll have to word it somehow in my agreement that I will stick to my schedule except for if weather prevents me from doing so.

So that settles that, I will still take care of their lawn as scheduled and collect payment, but i'm still a little unsure about estimating and pricing.

CHEESE2009
07-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you for the answer.

I planned on having people sign service agreements for either weekly or bi weekly, I really don't want to just be an on call service, unless they only need it mowed once or twice a year,then I am fine with that, but will collect payment first.

I'll have to word it somehow in my agreement that I will stick to my schedule except for if weather prevents me from doing so.

So that settles that, I will still take care of their lawn as scheduled and collect payment, but i'm still a little unsure about estimating and pricing.

Basically, you want to make sure all of your expenses are covered, and that you are making enough profit to grow your business to the next level, and also make a decent salary for yourself.

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 07:36 PM
okay, so I know its an expense for me everytime I hook my trailer up and tow it somewhere, so I should have a minimal fee for just that. I don't think a $15 service fee is outrageous, and it would cover any time, gas and wear and tear on my vehicle and trailer to get to the place. Then I would charge whatever I think is necessary to perform the work they want done.

wat5150
07-14-2012, 07:39 PM
The most common mistake I see people make, is charging only for when the lawn needs to be cut.

You charge them for a position on your schedule, whether their grass grows or not. This is how you make good money.

"Oh but my lawn doesn't need to be cut" - Doesn't matter, all or nothing.

If people charge only when the lawns need to be cut, they are probably suffering right now with how little the grass has actually grown. Not to mention, clients wait until the grass is up to your neck before they decide to call you.

Running an on-call business is trouble. Your equipment gets beat up, your schedule AND income aren't stable.

-

To avoid clients not wanting to pay you, you need to only accept post-dated checks.
How do you go about the post dated check thing? Do you just tell your clients thats how it is? I have a feeling there are a lot of people especially in my area that wouldnt go for that. I want to start targeting higher end clientelle. That seems to be the way to go. Although I have one guy who is a Facking architect and makes good money but Im always chasing his ***. Just shut him off this week. Im a month out on getting paid by him. Thats enough for me.

CHEESE2009
07-14-2012, 08:08 PM
If the client is unwilling to give you post-dated checks, it's because they are financially unstable and are terrified of losing the option of not having to pay you. (rip you off).

I was hesitant at first, as I was worried of how many people would consider giving me checks considering everyone here is cheap!

Anyway, once I started doing it, my life and company have both improved.

I no longer have to worry about getting paid, because I technically have it all up front now.

-

My service is from May till October (6 months).

Clients make out 3 checks out to my company name, that are all given to me with a signed contract, and each check pays for 2 months of service.

I deposit check 1 on May 1st.
I deposit check 2 on July 1st.
I deposit check 3 on September 1st.

-

If at any time the client doesn't want to pay, all they have to do is call the bank and cancel the check they had created. So when a client says they don't trust checks, you can freely call them an idiot (not really, but they honestly are for thinking this).

You cannot deposit all of the checks at once, as they are "post-dated".

For example
If it's May, I can't deposit a check that is written out for July. If the client is unhappy with my service before July, he/she can ask for their checks back, or cancel the check with their bank and it will not work when deposited.

It's seriously convenient!!! No more chasing money, EVER!

TRUE STORY
The majority of my clients utilize post-dated checks, but very few still pay cash because I still figured there are some good people out there. Guess what is happening?
The ones who still pay in cash, I am chasing them. Their payments are all overdue.

Sad isn't it? Forget about PayPal, Email Money Transfers, Cash, etc... ONLY use post-dated checks. Save yourself the trouble!

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I like the idea of post dated checks, but like wat said, I don't know how I would feel asking for a post dated check. Obviously they would have to trust me. I thought about offering different payment methods, I will defiantly keep post dated checks in mind as an option.

I thought about offering an automatic payment with credit/debit card, once a month I could charge them for the word done and then send them a receipt.

I would also still accept cash, if they stop paying then I stop doing work simple as that.

CHEESE2009
07-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I like the idea of post dated checks, but like wat said, I don't know how I would feel asking for a post dated check. Obviously they would have to trust me. I thought about offering different payment methods, I will defiantly keep post dated checks in mind as an option.

I thought about offering an automatic payment with credit/debit card, once a month I could charge them for the word done and then send them a receipt.

I would also still accept cash, if they stop paying then I stop doing work simple as that.

The goal is to get out of chasing clients, and removing any chance of them ripping you off.

If you put it in your contract (checks) it will look legit. I'm sure a lot of your competition uses this method. I honestly think you NEED to at least try it.

If clients rip you off, and you just drop them (I do that too), you'll still feel like crap lol... We don't want that!

I'm going to think hard about another solution, how to get your clients to use checks... Stay tuned!

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I defiantly like checks, not fighting you there, credit cards you have to pay every time its charged, cash can easily get lost...or just never make it to the bank before it gets spent. A check can't be spent and is easy to hang onto, doesn't cost you anything, and can be post dated like you said :)

CHEESE2009
07-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I defiantly like checks, not fighting you there

<3 I'm a lover, not a fighter.

LOL

xandrew245x
07-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I have a good question that maybe someone could answer.

The house across the street from me was for sale, until the guy committed arson and burned the house to the ground. The house has been sitting empty for months and the grass is close to 4' high. I know it is bank owned now, and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, so someone should really be taking care of the grass. How would I find out what bank owns the house so I can contact them and see if I can get some business.

LawnBoy0311
07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
someone PLEASE feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one...here is what I understood about bank owned properties. A lawn care company works with the banks to maintain the property. Some lawn care companies subcontract it out if they aren't in the area. I'm guessing its like bidding a commercial contract?? It seems like a lot of pain in the *** work to find out the bank that financed the property, but who knows. Maybe it could pay off in the end. Afterall, the banks can't sell the property to recoup the $$ if it looks like hell in the front yard. Not to mention city/county violations for long grass.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 08:48 AM
They will never sell the property looking the way it does, and I know they are violating the rule for grass height in our township. Its right across the street and would take me maybe an hour to regularly maintain, thats pretty easy money for me, and I will probably be able to do it for a couple years, I really don't see that house going anywhere.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I have another question, I'm only doing this part time, I work a full time job 7:30-4, I'm sure others are in the same situation. How many clients do you think I could handle on my own.

Also whats a good form of advertising. I have made a pretty nice add on craigslist, put my business in the yellowpages and made some door hangers with my business card attached that my friend is going to hand out this week. I also plan to put a 14 day add in the newspaper, which I have read gets some pretty great returns. Anyone have some other good ideas for advertising that actually works well?

Grass Doctor
07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
To avoid clients not wanting to pay you, you need to only accept post-dated checks.[/QUOTE]

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
So I'm doing my first real job this week, all my clients so far have been family and friends. It is going to just be a one time mow no trimming, but I will be blowing the grass off the driveway. It is about a 3 minute drive from my house, his yard is about 20k sq feet, and is pretty easy to mow. About how much should I charge? I was thinking $25 dollars.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-15-2012, 02:39 PM
everywhere is different with prices. You really need to figure out your cost and the going rate in your area. I would charge $50-$60 if that helps.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 02:48 PM
everywhere is different with prices. You really need to figure out your cost and the going rate in your area. I would charge $50-$60 if that helps.

That seems pretty steep for a job that would take me only about a half hour to do.

I tried the calculator and it said to only charge 12.50 for the job. I think an easy way for me to do quotes would aim for a certain amount of money made an hour. So if i'm looking to make 25-30 an hour, I should really only charge him about $20, I then have my mothers house to mow which only takes me about 45 mins and I only charge her $25, so thats almost $45 an hour.

I'm really not sure about estimating and pricing, but i'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Grass Doctor
07-15-2012, 03:01 PM
chearge the client 40.00 them ur mom 20.00 thats 60.00 an hour

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Okay, so $40 for just a mow, how much should I be charging if I were to do the trimming and the edging of this place to? $60?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
That seems pretty steep for a job that would take me only about a half hour to do.

I tried the calculator and it said to only charge 12.50 for the job. I think an easy way for me to do quotes would aim for a certain amount of money made an hour. So if i'm looking to make 25-30 an hour, I should really only charge him about $20, I then have my mothers house to mow which only takes me about 45 mins and I only charge her $25, so thats almost $45 an hour.

I'm really not sure about estimating and pricing, but i'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Well first off most shoot for $45-$60 a hour. You have to account for travel time and all your expenses in your hourly rate. You wont last long charging $25 a hour and will become miserable soon.

The lawn calculator is based off the numbers you put in. This is what it said when I did it. If the job will take you 26 minutes your total bid should be $43.46 which includes your profit mark-up.

If its just a small amount of trimming it wont add much to the price. Maybe $5-$10 if that. I always include trimming in the price.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
How much profit markup did you put in the calculator?

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Nevermind, I figured out what I was going wrong, I only work about 10 hours a week for lawn care, and I was putting that under the amount of weeks worked a year, not under the amount of hours worked a week, no wonder it wasn't working right ;P silly me.

Now that I figured that out. It says I should charge exactly $30

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-15-2012, 03:43 PM
How much profit markup did you put in the calculator?

didnt change that just added my expenses. Instead of truck payment I add my auto, and GL insurance and so forth. A easy way to bid is a dollar a minute but with lawns you should figure a price for 1/4,1/2,3/4 and 1 acre. Then adjust based on difficulty and trimming.

Most have minimum charge between $25-$35 no matter how big the property is.

I would have your mom call 2 or 3 companies for estimates. Then youll see what the competition is charging and you already know how long it takes to do it.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I would have your mom call 2 or 3 companies for estimates. Then youll see what the competition is charging and you already know how long it takes to do it.

Okay, I like that idea Im going to ask her to do that for me.

So if I charged a minmum of $25 to go out, how much would I charge on top of it to do the job? The estimator says $30 for the whole job, so with a $25 base fee and $30 estimated cost, should it cost $55 for the job? Or should i charge like $40.

xandrew245x
07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Another question, I live in pa, winters are very strange here, sometimes we get hammered with snow, others there is no snow.

I considered doing snow removeal in winter, that honestly when I could use more money anyways. I don't want to get a snowplow for my truck, but I do have a snowblower. Could I use the snowblower to remove snow from customers driveways, or is that just stupid?

I would also hand shovel their sidewalk, and anywhere I missed with the snowblower, then salt their driveway.

I know it would take much longer with a snow blower, thats why i'm asking if its even worth it.

Godslapper
07-15-2012, 10:54 PM
lol. I've never had the calculator come up with a price that low. At the very least you need to have a minimum charge to show up. For me that's $ 50 bucks. Or tell the customer it's a monthly fee just like the phone bill. $ 150 per month to keep your place in good shape and I decide how to go about that.

xandrew245x
07-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Anyone have any input on my snow removal idea.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Anyone have any input on my snow removal idea.

people do it with blowers or atvs. The problem is you have to charge the same as the guy that uses a plow and does the driveway and walks in 5 mins. So you can still get $40-$50 a driveway but youll be working longer and harder then the next guy.

A idea would be to find a plow guy that doesnt do walks. This way you just go house to house doing the walks. This will cut your time down a lot and youll get volume.

xandrew245x
07-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks I appreciate the input, Maybe i'll advertise for just sidewalk clearing and salting. I wouldn't mind doing driveways, but like you said it would take much longer, so maybe I could do a driveway if I were asked to.

Hedgemaster
07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
The answer depends on a lot of factors.

I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and in MY neighborhood with very few exceptions NOBODY has their driveway PLOWED. You simply can't do it, there's nowhere to plow TO and the drives aren't that large. Snowblowers and shovels is how you clear walks and drives here.

Honestly, the bigger problem is GETTING snow to clear in the first place. Sometimes we get FEET of snow and sometimes we get nothing. Its a crap shoot.

If you're in the right area, you can make a killing with a snowblower. It's all about finding areas with people who will pay, and who NEED the service. Not everyone will be able to do that. In my own neighborhood people do their own drives. If I want to make money, I need to head to another area.

xandrew245x
07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah the winters are very strange, I lived in pittsburgh for about a year, and back home we got over a foot and in pittsburgh they only got a few inches, and I only live 4 hours away in central PA, it makes that big of a difference.

I think though I could clear a average driveway in maybe an hour, so if I charged 40-50 dollars, I wouldn't be losing out that bad

The big problem is, I worked full time, so I would only be able to go clear driveways in the evening, and most people I would think want it done asap.

xandrew245x
07-18-2012, 06:37 AM
So, I have learned a great deal so far, and one thing I learned is its good to have a specialty. I thought about irrigation, I have a lot of plumbing experience, Ive used a trencher quite a few times and I have dug many many many holes, but to be honest irrigation seems like a pita, and I would defiantly have to hire an employee or two. So I was thinking maybe something along the lines of yard rejuvenation. Aeration, dethatching, fertilizing, water etc... to get the lawns looking as best as possible. And with that line of work, my name Peck's Lawn Care still fits the bill. I could probably do most of that work myself on top of mowing, I maybe would have to hire one employee.

xandrew245x
07-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Received my trimmer rack today, got it all installed, moved my mower to the front, and now it seems like my trailer has so much free space.

xandrew245x
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
So I need some insight on adverting. I'm not really big on walking around and just handing door hangers out or knocking on doors, I feel that its invading a potential customers person space. Now when I go out and do work for my full time job, I never miss an opportunity to talk about my business, and yesterday I had a interested lady who said shes going to tell her friends and neighbors about me, she even called back to our office and told our secretary how nice and hard working of a guy I was, so thumbs up there.

Now I don't mind putting some door hangers around houses I work on, but I feel aimless walking around a neighborhood just hanging door hangers. I have door magnets with my name and phone number, I have my business on yellowpages.com, and I have signs in a couple yards.

What else do you guys think I can do, I know an add in the yellowpages book is going to be expensive and I don't know if its worth it for me right now. I also thought about running a newspaper add. I have had my business going for about a month now, and so far I have had only 1 real job, but I guess thats pretty good, it has to start somewhere, and his job may lead to a few other jobs.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Be patient they will come....It's very hard waiting for the phone to ring but it will...Get some business cards made up and give them to everyone ! I agree about the door hangers, I think it annoys home owners more than it helps, just sayin...Stay focused and be positive...Good Luck...

Hedgemaster
07-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Last season I had very good luck with Craigslist.

This season, I have had less luck in that I got more calls from the people everyone warns you about - cheap a$$es.

You can reduce those calls slightly by posting an actual ad the makes you look much more professional (an image) instead of the typical "I mo lawnz cheep" classified ad.

xandrew245x
07-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys.

Doug, I have business card already, I had them attached to my door hangers I have handed out, have some on a bulletin board at the local general store, and I hand them out to anyone I do work for at my full time job.

Hedge, I made up a add with photoshop for craigslist, its been up for about 2 weeks, you can take a look at it if you want.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3140200156.html

I just feel really weird about going to someones place and trying to sell them my service, I would rather just have them come to me, that way I know i'm not bothering them.

I am going to leave some hangers around the areas I do work at, I did that today.

Hedgemaster
07-19-2012, 06:22 PM
The ad is very "basic", but nice, and clean.
I suggest another photo though, as that one is "crooked" and not high resolution.

Also, I wouldn't link it (I noted you could click on it when I hovered over it) to a Photobucket account. You may have pics there that are not complimentary and nobody looking at your ad needs to be browsing random equipment images.

Do you use keywords in your ad?
Under my image ad, I usually add some text, and at the bottom, I list a ton of keywords which help lead people to my ad when they do a search.
Zip codes, town names, common lawn care terms - even misspellings of commonly misspelled terms.

xandrew245x
07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Hmm, it shouldn't be linked to anything, that was the only way I know of uploading a picture like that to craiglist. It was the html information from photobucket. On the other hand the only photos I have on photobucket are images from my lawn care business ;P

I didn't even think about adding tags, I'll do that right now! thanks!

Hedgemaster
07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Here's the list I use.

Modify it as you see fit. (obviously you want to remove town names/zip codes)

keywords: pittsburgh, east, squirrel hill, point breeze, edgewood, regent sq, regent square, forest hills, rt 30, route 30, 376, rt 376, route 376, churchill, penn hills,
15235, pennhills, wilkins, wilkins township, wilkins twp, edgewood, churchill, monroeville, murrysville, plum, verona, oakmont, lawn servce, lawn-care, lawncare,
cut, mower, lawnmower, mow, insured, insurance, licensed, registered, estimate, edge, trim, leaf blower, blow, blowing, sidewalk, driveway,
walkway, mulch, mulching, mulches, spring, fall, clean-up, cleanup, twigs, weeds, branches, trees, recycled, recycling, compost, summer,
winter, rain barrel, weedwack, weed-wack, weedwhacking, weedeat, weed-eat, weedeater, shrubs, shrubbery, bush, hedges, forsythia, trimming,
cutting, pruning, fertilize, organic fertilizer, fertilizing, plant, plants, planting, beds, flowerbed, garden, gardens, raised garden, prune, annuals,
flowers, flower, rake, raking, shovel, digging, sweep, haul, hauling, debris, removal, honest, honesty, integrity, pride, diligent, reliable,
responsible, fair, detail-oriented, affordable, satisfaction, 15217, 15208, 15218, 15221, 15235, 15145, 15146, 15239, 15147, 15139, shadyside, swissvale, 15232, lawnmowing, grass cutting, lawn mowing, landscaper, landscape, landscaping, land scaping, cut grass, mowing grass, lawn, low priced, affordable, affordably priced, curb appeal, gardener, maintenance, lawn maintenance, mainenence, maintainence, fertilizer, organic, sod, low emissions, free estimate, estimates, green, handyman, water conservation, pond, fountain, fountian, thinning, removal, chain saw, lot, vacant lot, property, hauling, roses, bush, bushes, trimmer, snowblower, snowthrower, pole pruner, pruner, shaping, cutting, push mower, discount, referral discount, low priced, landscaper, landscaping, pet, pet friendly, pet-friendly, dog, pet safe, pet-safe, weekly, biweekly, bi weekly, monthly, annual, annuals, last minute, hurry, asap, quote

xandrew245x
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
wow, thats quite a big list.

i wish I was established now, we have had crazy storms the last couple days and I could be making big bucks cleaning up.

xandrew245x
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a really good question about pricing.

For instance today, I did my moms rental property, cut trimmed and blowed off the driveway and sidewalk. Took me about 75 minutes. By the estimator, I only need to charge $42.50 for the job. I have decided I will have a $20 minimum charge for just showing up at a place.

So at that I would be charging $62.50, does this seem about right. I'm actually charging her $60 to do it right now, but I want to figure this whole pricing gig out now.

CHEESE2009
07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Cool ad, but you really shouldn't offer single time / bi-weekly visits.

You'll only get the cheap clients who'll run you into the ground. :(

TIPS

You should have your website centered.

Use more css, use it for everything. Your website html is too cluttered.

You can find tutorials on YouTube for html5 website design, it's a lot of fun!

If you need help, just ask! :)

-

I just spilled my coffee all over my only clean (white) shirt, that I will be wearing today :(

xandrew245x
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Haha, cheese you crack me up, but you offer some very valuable insight.

I just through that website together with intuit, I haven't worked on it since then, nor do I have the time right now to do it. Any suggestions would be great.

I learned some css back in high school, but my god that was so long ago.

CHEESE2009
07-20-2012, 04:49 PM
This video is perfect, once you watch it, you'll know everything there is to know.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GwQMnpUsj8I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To learn even more, go to www.w3schools.com.

-

Good luck my friend!

xandrew245x
07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks cheese I'll watch it when I get home.

xandrew245x
07-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Received my first request for an estimate today, i'm excited!

He is a customer of my parents business so hopefully that adds some credibility to help me land the job!

CHEESE2009
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Received my first request for an estimate today, i'm excited!

He is a customer of my parents business so hopefully that adds some credibility to help me land the job!

That's awesome man! Wishing you all the best!

Keep us updated!

xandrew245x
07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I looked on google earth, and it looks to be about a 4 acre property, this is going to be a tough one.

xandrew245x
07-25-2012, 06:29 AM
So tomorrow i'm going to give an estimate on my first property. The guy said he already had 2 estimates from other companies, so I have some competition. Could you guys give me some advice so I can do my best, and hopefully get the job.

Steve
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Let us know how the property looks and how much time you are thinking it will take.

xandrew245x
07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Should I give him the price when I'm there, or should I evaluate the property and then call later and give him a price. I have a pretty good understanding of the property from google earth and other aerial views. Now I'm not going to be able to tell for 100% until I get there because a lot of it is wooded, so there may be alot more or there may be a lot less.

I bought a nice gray polo shirt to wear. I'm going to wear that and blue jeans, i'm taking my trailer along to show I have the equipment needed, and I'm taking a small booklet with an overview map, sample contracts, estimate sheet and maybe some other good information.

Steve
07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd say strike while the iron is hot. See if you can get him to say yes on the spot and if you can, get started mowing it right after. The more time the home owner has to mull it over, the lower your chances are for success.

Keep us posted.

xandrew245x
07-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I dressed nice and took my trailer along. I talked to them for quite a while, and they drove me around on their gator. It is about a 4 acre mowing area, not to much trimming to be done, but I will need to do a little push mowing. They said about doing it every 10 days and I explained why I would rather go with every 7. I gave them a $200 quote for weekly cut and a $240 quote for every 10 days.

I didn't get a yes or no answer, they have a kid mowing it until school starts, I plan on calling in a week to see what they say. I really hope I get it, and i really hope they go with weekly since it would only be $60 more a month.

Or should I call maybe saturday or sunday?

Hedgemaster
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I tried a ten day schedule with ONE client last season.

I'll never do it again.

wat5150
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
This all goes back to why weeklies are the way to go. I have some bi weekly accounts. They drive me crazy. They take way longer to make them look good. One of them is huge too and the grass grows like crazy. I dont bag and I have to do a couple passes sometimes on the heavy stuff to keep it from looking like sh!t. Next year Im going to change some things. Bi weeklies being one of them. Im upping my price quite a bit on them. The gas and extra time they take is very frustrating. Plus they can be a scheduling problem(rain dates,etc.)

xandrew245x
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I really want this job, but I really don't want to do a 10 day schedule. I'm going to try hard as hell to sell them on a weekly schedule, I mean for 60 bucks more a month and you get another mowing why not? I would defiantly go for that.

Should I call him in a week or a couple days to see how its going?

wat5150
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
defiantly

HHMMMM,

Best not to be too defiant with new customers!!!!!!!!:D

xandrew245x
07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll call them in a week to see whats up if I don't hear anything back from them, just to keep in touch with them.

I hope I impressed them, I really tried, I bet the other companies didn't go through what I did for just an estimate, I hope even if i'm not the lowest price they still choose me.

xandrew245x
07-27-2012, 08:16 PM
So I never really got an answer to my question, should I call them in a couple days or should I wait a week or more, or should I not bother calling at all?

willshome
07-27-2012, 08:28 PM
i never do but thats just me

xandrew245x
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, this being my first real bid I want to try at all costs to get it, but I don't want to sound desperate, but if I don't hear anything in a week or two, i want to know whats up.

xandrew245x
07-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Does anyone remember the thread about a guy inventing a leaf collector that would mulch and bag it for you, I can't seem to find his thread. I wanted to share this with him.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home/blogs/leafy-and-green

Rdelahunr
07-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Has anyone here tried advertising through radio? My family owns eight stations and I get free advertising. Will that fill me up with 20 accounts within a month?

07-28-2012, 08:42 AM
If your family owns 8 radio stations..Why r u mowing grass :confused:

xandrew245x
07-28-2012, 11:16 AM
If your family owns 8 radio stations..Why r u mowing grass :confused:

Better question is, if it's free why question it, just do it and see if it works.

Rdelahunr
07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
They give me everything I need but things like golf clubs, spending money, etc. I have to get on my own. And it's a group of eight stations throughout my whole family, my immediate family only owns 1 1/2 stations. I want money so when I go to college I can afford not to eat Mac and cheese and ramen noodles everyday.

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Has anyone here tried advertising through radio? My family owns eight stations and I get free advertising. Will that fill me up with 20 accounts within a month?

TV and Radio both probably work good. Since most dont know what it cost or even who to contact to pull it off. We dont know much about it.

Now what would they normally charge? How many times a day? What time of day? What genre is the radio station?

xandrew245x
07-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Being a one man operation, and right now only doing this part time what services could I handle doing. I offer mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, flower planting and grass seeding, fall, spring and storm cleanups and weeding.

I know I could handle most of them on my own, but weeding and mulching concern me. If its a house with just normal beds around it that's only about 4 yards at most of mulch, I could handle that, but what if someone wants a job done thats like 10 yards or more of mulch, that is a lot of mulch to move by one person.

Should I just turn these down, or find some quick help to get it done, or even sub it out to someone else?

Rdelahunr
07-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I would advertise on all eight and they cover almost every category, including oldies, soft hits, hot country, talk, etc. I would get them for free so it's a nobrainer but want I know what kind of response I'll get. Also, should I start advertising this summer in order to catch all the lake cabin owners before they winterize their cabins even though I'm not starting my business till next summer?

07-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Being a one man operation, and right now only doing this part time what services could I handle doing. I offer mowing, hedge trimming, mulching, flower planting and grass seeding, fall, spring and storm cleanups and weeding.

I know I could handle most of them on my own, but weeding and mulching concern me. If its a house with just normal beds around it that's only about 4 yards at most of mulch, I could handle that, but what if someone wants a job done thats like 10 yards or more of mulch, that is a lot of mulch to move by one person.

Should I just turn these down, or find some quick help to get it done, or even sub it out to someone else?

Call me...I will help you out with the big stuff so we both can make a few bucks...

xandrew245x
07-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Call me...I will help you out with the big stuff so we both can make a few bucks...

Will do, thanks!

xandrew245x
08-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Received a call today for hedge trimming and mulching! (hedgemaster, I could use some pointers from your specialty)

The way she described it, it should be a pretty easy straight forward job, she has a row of hedges on one side of her property line and wants them trimmed then mulch put under them. Should only be 1 yard of mulch.