PDA

View Full Version : Gravely hydro belt replacement

gwoodcutter
07-14-2012, 02:57 PM
The hydro belt popped today so I bought the new one, got it on but nothing. Doesn't work. I think I've got everything routed correctly as it is ribbed and the pulleys are grooved to fit it. I think where I am fouling up is possibly the spring and where it is attached or how the belt is routed beside that spring near the bracket with the hole in it. I hope someone here understands the terminology and can assist me in fixing this. Thanks!

Willco
07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
You can go to the Gravely site and download the manual and it will have the belt diagram there. Each model is different.

Steve
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Can you take a picture of the underside of your mower with your belt on?

gwoodcutter
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM
I went in to the dealer and the mechanic said i might have had the ribbed belt routed wrong and showed me how to reroute it. I did this and it seemed like the right way or a way that would work, but when i start the mower and move the arms forward, the belt starts smoking and i hear a lot of commotion down there! Here is a picture that shows the belt before i rerouted it. Instead of it going back to the main "drive" under the engine, it loops back around the idler arm pulley if that makes sense.

Willco
07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
You either have it routed wrong, or that is the wrong belt. There isi no tension on that spring. It should be stretched out.

Willco
07-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Here you go, a diagram, if I did this right

gwoodcutter
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Yeah, i had it routed wrong before i went to the shop today and came back and rerouted it the way you have it diagrammed. The mechanic said i might even have the belt on backwards. Is that possible? i forgot to try that one.

wandfsmall
07-16-2012, 05:43 PM
I went in to the dealer and the mechanic said i might have had the ribbed belt routed wrong and showed me how to reroute it. I did this and it seemed like the right way or a way that would work, but when i start the mower and move the arms forward, the belt starts smoking and i hear a lot of commotion down there! Here is a picture that shows the belt before i rerouted it. Instead of it going back to the main "drive" under the engine, it loops back around the idler arm pulley if that makes sense.

you should post a picture of after you rerouted it, as your description sounds like the mechanic told you the correct way. I would also suggest making sure the idler pulley as well as both pulleys on the hydros turn to make sure you do not have anything locked up.

gwoodcutter
07-16-2012, 08:22 PM
I got it! That was on of the most difficult things i've ever done! It is like the diagram above, (thanks by the way). I did not have it quite like that and when i got it like it was supposed to be the spring was near impossible to stretch from the idler pulley (8) to the bracket (3). Plus it is hot, not great light, sweat falling into my eyes, ears, all the while worried the mower is going to fall on me! I had it jacked up, braced, wheels chocked, but, you know...If anyone knows of an easier way to pull the spring from idler pulley to bracket, let us all know. That was difficult to say the least. Thanks everyone for your input!

Hedgemaster
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't know if they are similar or not, but I had a belt pop off my Ferris hydro and I called my dealer to get some tips on getting it back on. (from the field)

He told me that a rope is helpful in pulling the spring over to where it needs to hook onto.

See here:
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15943&highlight=ferris+walk&page=19

gwoodcutter
07-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't know if they are similar or not, but I had a belt pop off my Ferris hydro and I called my dealer to get some tips on getting it back on. (from the field)

He told me that a rope is helpful in pulling the spring over to where it needs to hook onto.

See here:
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=15943&highlight=ferris+walk&page=19

thats a great idea Hedgemaster. I hope i remember the routing and the rope the next time it happens. Thanks again all.

Steve
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
It be nice if there was some kind of groove in the bottom of the deck so you would always know for sure which way to route it.