PDA

View Full Version : Are you concerned about a recession?

Steve
11-10-2007, 05:48 PM
It seems like the stock market has been on a roller coaster lately dealing with a bunch of issues. Access to credit, the housing market crash and skyrocketing oil prices.

Are you concerned our economy is headed towards a recession? If we do hit one, how do you feel you will be effected by it?

Dow drops over 200 points (http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/09/markets/markets_0445/index.htm?postversion=2007110918) - Stocks fell sharply Friday, with the Dow ending over 200 points lower, as mortgage-induced losses at Wachovia and Fannie Mae riled traders already nervous that the woes could spread to the wider economy.

Those negatives include the triple threat of restricted access to credit, a downturn in the housing sector and near record oil prices, said Young.

"People are more and more worried about recession," he said.

Little's
11-10-2007, 06:20 PM
A little concerned, but at the same time, I own my home, and made more money this month than any other month in my life. So, it isnt affecting me too much.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
I don't have a whole bunch of money tied up in the stock market so what happens there has no big direct impact on me.

The biggest issue we are facing in our industry is the cost of fuel for our equipment. If the cost of gasoline and diesel keeps goes up the way it is, we can probably expect $4+ per gallon before too long across the country. I see places in CA are already at $5 per gallon. I'm going to rewrite my contracts to include fuel surcharges triggered by pump prices in order to keep that end of the overhead in check.

As for the credit crunch, those of us with solid established credit will be just fine. Its the secondary market with its higher rates that is suffering because of those folks with lower credit scores and subsequent higher risks of default.

Another area that may affect us is the financial health of the equipment dealers we do business with. Alot of them use the secondary market to sell us stuff. We could be facing some difficulties in obtaining needed parts and repairs if the dealers are on the brink. Expect them to raise prices as well.

Steve
11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Quote[/b] ]made more money this month than any other month in my life.

What would you contribute that success too? Do you have any advice from reflecting on it?

pnplawn
11-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Quote[/b] (S.P.Martin Lawn Care @ Nov. 11 2007,8:41)]I don't have a whole bunch of money tied up in the stock market so what happens there has no big direct impact on me.
This will affect everyone. If criss keep sup with the stockmarket 'WE" all will feel the affect from it.

Steve
11-12-2007, 07:02 AM
I do worry about if we see a bigger credit crunch and see more homes foreclosed on, this could have a negative effect on this industry.

11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I have had alot of my high end residential customers cutting back on the extras, I have also had a harder time collecting money. The slow down in building does effect the new landscape jobs hydroseeding and irrigation installs. As far as financials I do have some money in the market in stocks and mutual funds, I dont plan on retiring soon so i dont sweat it. I own everything except for my new truck and home but have a small morgage. As far as fuel I put in my contract this year that the price is good till $3.00 per gallon then a fuel scharge would be assessed and customer would be notified if it would exceed $3.00. Customers wont drop you mid season over a fuel surcharge.

11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
you have to tell me how to change the pic Lol:(

Steve
11-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Quote[/b] ]you have to tell me how to change the pic Lol:(
Do you mean the one on the left? It changes depending on your post count. You can also add any avatar image you want. Near the top of the forum there is a section called "Your control panel" and you can add it there.