PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oklahoma!

Ronnyasher
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi my name is Asher Wood. I'm from the Sand Springs/Tulsa area. My brother Ben and I started Wood Brothers Lawn in Spring of 2011. We both worked for a lawn and landscape company for about 4 years. So we realized we should be doing it for ourselves since we know we can do a great quality job. So we have ten consistent accounts now with a few being rather large. We have gotten to this point slowly with minimal advertizement....a few flyers. We also do some small landscape jobs on the side and sprinkler repair. Recently we have uprgaded to an enclosed trailer for the business and whatever else we can use it for. Its a big help! We are looking at ways to grow somewhat even though my brother works a night shift and I am going to college in the fall. So im looking forward to learning from the forum and joining the discussions!

Steve
07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Asher,

Welcome to our forum!

How do you feel working for another lawn care business previously has helped you get your business started. Were there any lessons that stood out which you learned at your previous job that help you today?

Ronnyasher
07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
My previous experience gave me confidence in my work. It showed me the basic equipment needed get the job done on a regular basis. I also learned how to communicate with customers and make sure that they were pleased with our work. The lessons I learned were that communication and simplicity make things run smoothly. When you process the basic priorities of a job and the tasks for the day without allowing anxieties and worries to bring you down, you can accomplish more and keep going. So a clear mind helps. Thats what im getting at. My previous boss would get worked up over things that could be sovled without the emotions and showing of so much stress. Keeping your head down and finishing what is right in font of you helps you not to worry about what is next or a lack of time etc.

Steve
07-23-2012, 12:52 PM
My previous boss would get worked up over things that could be sovled without the emotions and showing of so much stress.

That is a very interesting point. What do you think caused that? Is it just a personality type or do you feel the business ground him down over years and made him like this?

Ronnyasher
07-23-2012, 11:18 PM
I believe its mainly personality and how you allow things to affect you. But I also believe that it can be caused when a person tries to run a business from a distance without putting proper foundations in place where that can happen. If your the boss but your focus and attention is on something else, it creates emotions that you dont want to deal with when problems come up on the job.