PDA

View Full Version : 13 and growing

GLM
07-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi everybody my name is Cullen Green I'm currently 13 going on 14 this fall. I own a small landscaping company in Pittsburgh PA called Green Landscaping. I have been in the business just over 2 years now and love it all. I have read all of Steve's books and decided to join the site because I couldn't figure out ******** at all. I have a line of equiptment that I own and hope to keep on getting more! All the stuff you will eventually see is all mine and i have paid for. My mom does really help me out as far as advice and support. My main machines are a exmark 60 turf tracer, br600, stihlkm 90r Honda push mower, ETC the list goes on and on!
I will be getting my own truck here in the next month. Most people think I'm crazy because I can't drive but with my parents seperating it's either I buy a truck or have to partner with a high school kid I know. I'm looking at a Dodge 2500 with plow if everything goes as planned. Let me know what you guys think I'm going to try to and figure out how to upload pictures here ASAP so I can get some good advice! Thanks-Cullen

Hedgemaster
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
How does buying a truck you can't drive help?

(confused)

CHEESE2009
07-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't suggest using your truck for plowing just yet, not until you are well established. The problem is, plowing can cause a lot of strain on your truck and once you lose that, it's either game over, or a new truck :(

Hope to hear more from you!

GLM
07-12-2012, 01:00 AM
How does buying a truck you can't drive help?

(confused)

Either I buy a truck or partner with another guy. If I partner with him I'll make half of what I do know. I have a reliable older guy who can drive it that wants something to do as he just retired.

GLM
07-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't suggest using your truck for plowing just yet, not until you are well established. The problem is, plowing can cause a lot of strain on your truck and once you lose that, it's either game over, or a new truck :(

I only plan to plow 2 pretty long driveways. The dodge had this plow put on when purchased and has a beefed up front suspension from what I know. So 2 clients plus my lane witch is quite long shouldn't be that bad for it. -I hope!

Steve
07-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Welcome to our forum!

You are really rocking and rolling with all that you have going on! Good job!

Remember to keep doing well at school too.

LawnBoy0311
07-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't smoke weed. It's a gateway drug.

CHEESE2009
07-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Wipe from front to back, never back to front. It can be messy.

GLM
07-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Don't smoke weed. It's a gateway drug.

Don't smoke or drink. Clean as a whistle!

GLM
07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome to our forum!

You are really rocking and rolling with all that you have going on! Good job!

Remember to keep doing well at school too.

Thanks Steve! Thanks biddy

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I couldnt agree more. No truck in my fleet has lasted more then 3 years without a transmission going. Just putting the plow on the truck causes damages. You dont even have to drive it.

The other reason liability! You cant get a insurance policy at your age and if you put it in someone else name it wont cover you.

A partner is bad too. I would try to work out something with the guy for now that he receives a certain % of each job but that its not permanent. This way when your ready to grow and get your own truck that you can drive. There wont be any problems dropping him. A partner your going to be stuck with.

GLM
07-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I couldnt agree more. No truck in my fleet has lasted more then 3 years without a transmission going. Just putting the plow on the truck causes damages. You dont even have to drive it.

The other reason liability! You cant get a insurance policy at your age and if you put it in someone else name it wont cover you.

A partner is bad too. I would try to work out something with the guy for now that he receives a certain % of each job but that its not permanent. This way when your ready to grow and get your own truck that you can drive. There wont be any problems dropping him. A partner your going to be stuck with.

That why I'm not partnering. I'm currently in the process of doing my insurance. It's looks like I will have a million in insurance for like a grand a year to cover me threw my moms name.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
07-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Where in Pittsburgh are you located? I have some yards I don't want anymore , maybe I can swing them your way!

GLM
07-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Where in Pittsburgh are you located? I have some yards I don't want anymore , maybe I can swing them your way!

Pretty much anywhere in the north hills. I live in Hampton. Depending on where you are I have one up in Ben Avon Heights by swecikly I need to get rid of. Just to far. Let me know. I'll send you my cell number if you prefer to text.

LawnTeam
07-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Nice going. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. What do you do for fun?

brian'slawncare
07-15-2012, 11:53 AM
you're doing great!

I started when I was your age, but in no way did I grow as fast as you! I'm fifteen now. Just remember- as much as you want to grow and expand, make sure you are making a profit for yourself and not dumping all of your earnings back into the company.

As far as a driver goes, what about just paying him to drive you? offer him a real low rate and depending on how bad he wants something to do, he may take it.

GOOD LUCK!

GLM
07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Nice going. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. What do you do for fun?

I like working on engines every once in a while. I play cup soccer and state. I am also training internationally with a premier team called west ham united. And in the winter time I hit the Mats for wrestling.