PDA

View Full Version : Combining your business with a personal interest?

Steve
11-11-2007, 07:52 AM
How often have you done this or seen where an entrepreneur is able to pull together a personal interest and a business.

For instance, this entrepreneur has a interest in bulldogs and named his business after that interest! Also utilizing the bulldog image in the business logo.

http://bullyslandscaping.com/

Is this something you like to do? Could you then maybe breed bulldogs and use one of them as a mascot? Then maybe help educate people on the bulldog breed or attend dog shows and have your business sponsor it?

tjgray
11-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Last week when you sent me the basset hound logo I didn't really think about it too seriously BUT since I found the other company that has such a similiar name as ours I have been thinking more and more about how to combine my love of basset hounds with our lawn and landscape company...just in case we do decide that changing our name is for the best.

I have come up with a bunch of ideas that I think would be great marketing strategies...the only thing that is keeping me from doing it is the thought of all the work involved http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

We would have to create another logo, update all of our marketing materials and business paperwork. We would have to change the name on our licenses and insurance. We would have to register another domain for the website and re-do it plus I would have to start another myspace. We would have to have new truck signs. Then we would have to send a letter to all of our customers letting them know about the name change.

I just don't know if I am ready to tackle such a big task right now...but then again putting it off isn't going to make it any easier...

It is interesting that you actually found someone out there who has named their lawn company after a dog breed...I actually thought I was the only nutty one who would seriously consider such:D

Of course I thought this might work to our advantage because I wouldn't have to worry about finding another company out there with a similiar name...or would I???

Steve
11-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Quote[/b] ]I have come up with a bunch of ideas that I think would be great marketing strategies
Could you tell me what strategies you are thinking about?

Quote[/b] ]It is interesting that you actually found someone out there who has named their lawn company after a dog breed...I actually thought I was the only nutty one who would seriously consider such
This is a really good point and it's something I think about a lot.

How is it that to be an entrepreneur you have to be a risk taker but then once you find yourself within the world of the entrepreneur, you then feel you need to work within the confines of what others expect of you? Are there lawn care entrepreneurs who are just crazy wild, who you look at and think WOW I wouldn't want to do that or try that. Every once and a while a maverick appears. But one of the things I hope to achieve with all of this site and videos etc, is to be creative.

I really don't think it is crazy at all to name a lawn care business after your favorite breed of dog. In fact I think it makes the business seem more approachable.

I am glad you are at least considering it and I am happy to show you an example of someone who did it as well. Then the business becomes and expression of their individuality. This then translates into an expression of a businesses individuality. With such concepts you can really make your business stand out.

Quote[/b] ]Of course I thought this might work to our advantage because I wouldn't have to worry about finding another company out there with a similiar name...or would I???
This would make your business more unique and more uniquely you! Which is OUTSTANDING! It gives you a chance to mix your two loves into one entity. Can you imagine how great your website could look with all your Basset pictures and links? Can you imagine how great your truck could look! You could have it painted to look like a dog with dog ears. I mean the amount of creative potential you could do with this is endless!