PDA

View Full Version : Selling firewood?


Steve
11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
This is a great article. It talks about how a lawn care business owner who needed a winter income source, found it with selling wood!

What do you think of this? Would you like to do this?

Firewood dealer's business thriving this year (http://www.southernillinoisan.com/articles/2007/11/04/top/22042324.txt) - Jeff Thiele of Benton has sold 100 cords of firewood already this fall, compared to his total seasonal sales of 25 cords last year. A cord of wood is defined as four feet tall, four feet wide and eight feet long with a total of about 85 cubic feet of wood because of air space between the pieces.

Thiele once had a lawn mowing contract at Rend Lake, and when that expired, he started a commercial lawn mowing operation. Since that business was seasonal, he tried to find something to do during the winter months, and he decided on firewood.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
With oil at an all time high, $90+ per barrel, firewood will become very much in demand again. At least in this neck of the woods, I predict seasoned split wood will be going for close to $250 per cord.

I've been thinking about leasing some land in order to have a place to cut, split, and store wood for next year. I'm not too crazy about how labor intensive it is, but for that kind of money....

Little's
11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Around here a cord of dry oak is going for $299. Hard work, but can be worth it if you just need some income.

Steve
11-05-2007, 09:20 PM
One of my friends just got a wood burning stove that runs on wood pellets!

I wonder if this is gonna be a big thing in the future.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice thing about wood pellets is the abilty to adjust the rate of feed and temp control. The stuff burns quite well leaving little ash. Storing the bags is lots easier and cleaner as well.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Found a video on a firewood processor called the Chomper. *All self contained and requires only one person to run it.

http://www.chomper.net/video.html

This will lead you to a page where you can choose your player and connection speed.

Steve
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM
That is a real amazing device! 1 man could really process a huge amount of firewood!

Steve
11-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Oh check this out! It shows you how wood pellets are made!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4VP129rWcY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4VP129rWcY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VP129rWcY

pmblair
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I think I'm in love! ...and her name is ChOmPeR!

Steve
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Can you imagine that? It's such an amazing tool!

pmblair
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
GOTTA add it to my wish list!! I mean, think about it... you have ONE or TWO guys you REALLY trust... I mean REALLY REALLY trust... get in touch with some tree guys... find out where they're dropping trees... tell them you'll haul the trees off for them for a SMALL fee... or maybe even free... then you send your guy(s) out there with this baby... and on the side of THAT truck you put a big sign that advertises firewood!

Interesting, huh?

Steve
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh yea! That is a great idea! How much do these things cost?

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
The Chomper with the 80 hp Deere diesel is about $38K. You can also get them with pto or bigger & smaller engines.

Its about the same price as a truck when you think about it.

Little's
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
38K? Man it would take a lot of wood to pay for that!

pmblair
11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
The small ones go for around $15,000.... still a hefty price, but good for a start... maybe you could get your bank to give you a business loan if you
re REALLY interested.

FourSeasons
11-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Who would you contact to find a constant supply of trees to make firewood?
Or who could tell me where to get permits to go cut trees myself?

Steve
10-28-2008, 07:58 AM
I was just doing more research on how much would you need to chop to make a cord.

A standard cord is a stack of wood measuring 4 ft by 8 ft by 8 ft. It contains 128 cubic ft of wood. The actual amount of solid wood occupies approximately 80-85% of the total volume of the cord. The remaining 15% is air space and bark.

A face cord is approx 16" deep but can vary from 12 to 18 inches.

I am seeing a third cord or face cord, going for $135 - $150 depending on if it's just delivered as a pile or stacked.

While a full cord is $330 - $390 again depending on if it's delivered as a pile or stacked.

Will you be offering this service this year?

Lukacs Property Maintenance
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
driving up logging roads can be very productive for free wood. Trees that the logging companys have left behind or stumps. All you need is a truck and a chainsaw.

Mike

Steve
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Are you talking about downed trees or dead trees? Have you done this? How did it work out?

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-31-2008, 05:04 PM
I was just doing more research on how much would you need to chop to make a cord.

A standard cord is a stack of wood measuring 4 ft by 8 ft by 8 ft. It contains 128 cubic ft of wood. The actual amount of solid wood occupies approximately 80-85% of the total volume of the cord. The remaining 15% is air space and bark.

A face cord is approx 16" deep but can vary from 12 to 18 inches.

I am seeing a third cord or face cord, going for $135 - $150 depending on if it's just delivered as a pile or stacked.

While a full cord is $330 - $390 again depending on if it's delivered as a pile or stacked.

Will you be offering this service this year?

Steve:

In your research, have you found information on how many cords you can get from a tree?

For example, if you have an oak with a base trunk circumference of 60" is there a method of determining how many cords you can get from that tree?

I'm sure that info is available somewhere.

Keith

Steve
10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
In your research, have you found information on how many cords you can get from a tree?

That is a very good question. No I haven't yet, but I was thinking about that same thing.

Lukacs Property Maintenance
11-05-2008, 02:45 PM
already downed trees that the loggers left behind after they are done with the area. Iv done it if i need firewood when im camping.

Mike