PDA

View Full Version : TB4SC Blower

jasonw
07-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok first things first. I will not get into a this brand VS that brand discussion. I have had GREAT luck with Troybilt equipment. I admit I was worried at first but greatly suprized at how good it has lasted. Ok that being said I have a TB4SC blower that is acting up. The consumer reviews on this unit complain of the exact same thing that it's doing. At first it ran great, I followed all the break in procedures from the manufacturer then one day after about 20-30 minutes of use it just died and would not start again until it cooled down.

I thought maybe the ignition was overheating but could not find evidence of that. I did notice the compression was very low but I have nothing to compair it to so maybe for this unit it is normal. I made a video of the problem a while back and now I ether want to fix it or replace it. I would greatly apreciate it if you could watch and give me your feedback on what it could be and how to fix it.

Since I made this video it has only gotten worse, It use to start great when cold but now its very hard to start and again runs for a bit then dies and wont run again good until it cools down.

4 stroke TB4SC blower down for the count (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLGtJ2usI8)

Steve
07-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Do you have spark after it runs for a bit and then dies?

wandfsmall
07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Do you have spark after it runs for a bit and then dies?

a regular spark tester could still show up and it not run, you would need to check the voltage of the spark and it takes a special tester for that. I have a feeling it would be compression related with the troy built units I have seen. The units I have worked on did not seem to last long.

jasonw
07-09-2012, 09:14 PM
I have had supper luck with Troybilt products but I do admit when they finally do cave in it always seems that they just loose compression for no reason then never run again. A motor rebuild costs as much as a new unit so I have never tore into them to try to learn why they lose compression. This blower though is so new that I am stumped. I bet it does not even have 5 hours on it.

Hedgemaster
07-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey Mr. Moneybags, didn't you just buy an $80,000 truck?

GO BUY (http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-TB4SC-4-Cycle-Powered-Handheld/dp/B001H1LT4M) A NEW BLOWER.

:p ;)

wat5150
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I had a TB 4 cycle trimmer a few years ago. I used about half a season and it died. Im not sold on the 4 cycle small engines. I wont buy one again.

jasonw
07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I was looking at a new trimmer yesterday, it was 2 stroke, same size as my 4 stroke but half the price and half the weight. I enjoy the 4 strokes but for someone like me with a back that is not what it use to be I am considering changing back to all 2 stroke stuff.

jasonw
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey Mr. Moneybags, didn't you just buy an $80,000 truck?

GO BUY (http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-TB4SC-4-Cycle-Powered-Handheld/dp/B001H1LT4M) A NEW BLOWER.

:p ;)

First, I would never pay 80K for a new truck, 2nd, I am pissed now, I paid twice that for my blower GRRRR

wandfsmall
07-10-2012, 07:19 AM
I was looking at a new trimmer yesterday, it was 2 stroke, same size as my 4 stroke but half the price and half the weight. I enjoy the 4 strokes but for someone like me with a back that is not what it use to be I am considering changing back to all 2 stroke stuff.

you would be better off 2stroke equipment will last longer for a blower or trimmer. I see nothing but trouble out of the cheaper 4stroke stuff in the handheld lines. I recommend trying Redmax if you have a dealer near you, they in my opinion have the best quality 2cycle right now. You will find that the 4mix units require more maintenance and are heaver(they have a valve system so more moving parts) but any 2stroke will be lighter and have more rpm then your lower end 4stroke units.

wandfsmall
07-10-2012, 07:20 AM
First, I would never pay 80K for a new truck, 2nd, I am pissed now, I paid twice that for my blower GRRRR

You have to be kidding me, a commercial blower is cheaper then that. Hell redmax has one for just $10 more then that.

wat5150
07-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Im a big fan of echo products. Great string trimmers. Warranty is awesome too. I just thought that when I had that cheap 4 stroke it was a dog and then it just died. Could have been a lemon but I wont buy anything but an echo or stihl now.