PDA

View Full Version : Business hosting sites

TiedemanLLC
07-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I have a colleague that does lawn mowing that wants to set up his website. I have personally only had experience with two website providers (one was Intuit, the other one is out of business), so my information is very limited. I am kind of taking him under my wings to help him out a little bit, doing the research for him and I was wondering whether any of you have a website through any of the following listed below or had any experience with them. Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate it.

Deluxe
Intuit
Yahoo Business

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I wouldnt deal with any of them. I created my website in minutes. Setting it up on the host took minutes.The design took a few hours.

Then you can get a host for $4-$10 a month. I pay $45 but I host sites that produce income and have 1000s of visitors per day.

Someone with a little patience could figure out and build a wordpress website in less then a day. If they go with a template theme even less.

willshome
07-06-2012, 08:44 PM
I use ipage.com they are great and cheap. Everything is included for $3 a month

shadrach
07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
I have used Intuit & Yahoo. Both lack some stuff I would like to be able to do, but I think Intuit would be the easier of the two to use for starting out.

wat5150
07-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I use Homestead. They are part of Intuit. They arent bad. Pretty reasonable. It lets you load your own pics and the templates are decent. I mean I could have spent $1000 on a custom site but in my area very few guys besides the really big ones even have a site. I optimized it with a ton of keywords. There was a site I looked at called lawn care sucks I think. Look for it on youtube. The guy tells of how to get ranked ,etc. But I dont mind Intuit. Works for me. I get most of my business through newspaper ads or hanging fliers with pull off tabs.

TiedemanLLC
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I used Intuit in the past, and I agree that it was very easy. The designs weren't flashy, but it was easy to use.

I am thinking it would be better for him to do that because if I remember correctly you can setup your merchant account through the site too, and link it with your quickbooks software.

Now with Deluxe I have done a lot of their webinars and they offer a huge wide range of services. Such as mobile sites, logo design, etc. However, I have never used them or known anyone that has experience with them.

And Yahoo is pretty basic. He can link his personal email and business email together. However, it seems very much limited....almost boring. But perhaps I am missing something, and there would be more for him there.

SouthallMowing
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I use Network Solutions. A little bit more expensive, but you get everything all in one, never had the site go down. Always really fast to update the site and stuff.

TiedemanLLC
07-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I use Network Solutions. A little bit more expensive, but you get everything all in one, never had the site go down. Always really fast to update the site and stuff.

Did network solutions used to be part of Quickbooks years ago?

DeMenkey
07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I use www.gatorhost.com and it's off the chain. It's got cPanel and everything included. I personally designed my own site but you can also use their WYSIWYG to make one of their template website. It's cheap (I got the business plan) enough but has everything you'd ever need than some.

TiedemanLLC
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I use www.gatorhost.com and it's off the chain. It's got cPanel and everything included. I personally designed my own site but you can also use their WYSIWYG to make one of their template website. It's cheap (I got the business plan) enough but has everything you'd ever need than some.

What are some of the things that you love about it? Perhaps the features, add-ons, etc.

ringahding1
07-11-2012, 07:23 AM
My first website was an Intuit one. I have built several Intuit websites, but after A TON of research have jumped on the WORDPRESS (http://www.wordpress.com) band wagon.
The security, plugins(add-ons) and functionality are simply amazing. Not to mention the SEO process.
I have restructured my own website and have built several other sites since December 2011. Granted I already had over one year of TEACHING myself (from non-stop reading during the off-season)....so the transition to WordPress was not so painful.
I highly recommend BlueHost & WordPress for any small to medium businesses...

TiedemanLLC
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
My first website was an Intuit one. I have built several Intuit websites, but after A TON of research have jumped on the WORDPRESS (http://www.wordpress.com) band wagon.
The security, plugins(add-ons) and functionality are simply amazing. Not to mention the SEO process.
I have restructured my own website and have built several other sites since December 2011. Granted I already had over one year of TEACHING myself (from non-stop reading during the off-season)....so the transition to WordPress was not so painful.
I highly recommend BlueHost & WordPress for any small to medium businesses...

Thats interesting to hear. So a blog is better than a website? Or is the blog setup similar to a website? Help me understand this. Thanks

The Cleaning Doctor
07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Take a look at this and tell me if it is a blog or not...

http://superiorpowerwashing.com

That is what you can do with a wordpress site.

Hedgemaster
07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
I use Bluehost for my web hosting.
Very low cost (when you get a promo code) and the support is absolutely outstanding - and they are AMERICANS living right here in this country. When you call, or use the live chat support, you don't speak to someone in India.

I'm not happy with their "do it yourself" site-builder though, and thus, mine is still not finished.

TiedemanLLC
07-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info

ringahding1
07-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Thats interesting to hear. So a blog is better than a website? Or is the blog setup similar to a website? Help me understand this. Thanks

If you're trying to get your business found, a blog is not the answer. WordPress software is FREE...and there BLOGS are also FREE. But a hosted WordPress website will answer all of your business needs.

I know it is confusing and if you actually went to WordPress.org
(http://www.wordpress.org), it literally may look like something from outer space and confuse you more.

Hey man I am only high school educated and have self taught myself, because my passion and love for what I do for a living is soooooo strong.

Just take your time and read yourself into building a site or hire someone you trust. If you are paying over $1,000 for a landscape website, I can honestly tell you, you are paying toooo much!

Do your research and you will find success! !

TiedemanLLC
07-11-2012, 08:44 PM
If you're trying to get your business found, a blog is not the answer. WordPress software is FREE...and there BLOGS are also FREE. But a hosted WordPress website will answer all of your business needs.

I know it is confusing and if you actually went to WordPress.org
(http://www.wordpress.org), it literally may look like something from outer space and confuse you more.

Hey man I am only high school educated and have self taught myself, because my passion and love for what I do for a living is soooooo strong.

Just take your time and read yourself into building a site or hire someone you trust. If you are paying over $1,000 for a landscape website, I can honestly tell you, you are paying toooo much!

Do your research and you will find success! !

That is why I am a little confused. Because years ago I had a blog on WordPress...I guess I didn't know you could do a website on WordPress. I learn something new everyday

The Cleaning Doctor
07-12-2012, 12:25 AM
A self hosted wordpress site on your own domain is the way to go.

Here is another example http://www.louisvilledrivewaysealing.com

There are so many templates out there for wordpress and with it being open source, people are constantly making things for it that make it better and easier for the end user. Some themes are free while others will cost but the cost is reasonable. The trick is to SEE the theme as you want it not as it looks in the demo.

Here is what the theme looks like before making the necessary changes. Just changing one picture can make a big difference. http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/star-brite

For the other site I posted http://superiorpowerwashing.com

Most people would not pick that one either. Change a few colors and you get a roof cleaning site like this one (http://baltimoreroofclean.com)

What you can do is basically limitless, you can even put a grass background tile so it looks like a lawn in the background of the site.

Grass2Cash
07-12-2012, 01:56 AM
I used a web builder tool called Website Tonight. You can build it yourself in the evenings and the learning curve isn't all that scary.

You can select your website name (2-9 BUCKS)and then USE THE BUILDER TOOLS AND HAVE IT HOSTED for less than $5 bucks a month, you get FREE 24/7 phone support and the wait time is never been longer than 15 seconds.

In a few years after we have built our business up, we will have a real web designer use the old site as a template to build a new site (WHICH will lower the price of the new website).

Good Luck.

The Cleaning Doctor
07-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I used a web builder tool called Website Tonight. You can build it yourself in the evenings and the learning curve isn't all that scary.

You can select your website name (2-9 BUCKS)and then USE THE BUILDER TOOLS AND HAVE IT HOSTED for less than $5 bucks a month, you get FREE 24/7 phone support and the wait time is never been longer than 15 seconds.

In a few years after we have built our business up, we will have a real web designer use the old site as a template to build a new site (WHICH will lower the price of the new website).

Good Luck.

The problem with most of these template type designs is that they really suck for looks. If you are in a competitive area where others have professional looking sites then you will be at a disadvantage.

Using your site as a template will not necessarily lower the cost. For instance the copy may suck and need to be rewritten. I do that all the time so that it is more SEO friendly. Most web designers know little to nothing about search engine optimization. I know guys that would blow your mind with their designs but their seo sucks.

Ever heard the saying that if you are going to play the part you have to look the part. Well those template type DIY sites look cheap. I am currently redoing a site for a company that has one of these and has had for years but it looks cheap. I have others where they had their hosting company build their site and they are better but over priced.

Hence the reason I came up with the budget websites for those on a budget. http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=111198#post111198

Yeah you are going to pay more in the long run but I am also waiting for payment. Kinda like buying something on credit.

Here is a hint, forget what you think of the site that you built, ask your friends and family about ohonest opinions. If they hesitate the you know they are only saying good things because you are asking. You need opinions from people that could be shoppers and your friends can fit that bill. Let them tell you what they think and let them be honest.

Grass2Cash
07-12-2012, 01:06 PM
If you are lawn company in this difficult economy without a website and all you have is the free Google Places listing, a $5.00 a month pay as you go site is :). You get free telephone support and the ability to cancel anytime. A perfect starter Website for a newbie.

FYI: Just a few years ago I had part-time in-house web designers and back end programmers during the development of nationwide educational site. I said I "Had" because the main programmer left the website business because the Website Tonight's were doing as good a job as he could at the fraction of the cost. He's now a Golf Pro.

Here's the truth, 99% of all websites start with a template layout. Even Dreamweaver, MS Expression, etc. all use templates unless the developer needs to reinvent the wheel due to back end programming issues like databases, memberships, custom shopping carts which are not any of the needs of a small landscapers.