PDA

View Full Version : In Need Of Some Advice!

jmisk70
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I am a new to the lawn care industry and I have a major issue at hand. I am a small company that just offers a select few services. The weather here in souther indiana is very dry and hot right now. Nobody's grass is growing. What can I offer to my potential customers to keep the wheels spinning?

WorkForMySelf
07-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Irrigation............ otherwise dont mow the grass! lol

jmisk70
07-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Good idea! But how? How do I offer irrigation. Do I offer to hold the water hose for them or what. Not trying to be a smarty, but I have heard this before. I just do not understand how I can offer someone irrigation services.

wat5150
07-06-2012, 07:04 AM
How about pressure washing? Maybe some type of clean ups, debris etc. Gutter cleaning is something you could do also. It sucks if there is no grass to mow. Luckily where Im from has had a fair share of rain. I was bitching about it earlier but now I feel bad about complaining seeing all the dry conditions a lot of you guys have had to put up with. Try to hang in the best you can. Do you do any garden or raised bed installs?? I guess you just have to think about anything you might be able to offer.

Steve
07-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Good idea! But how? How do I offer irrigation. Do I offer to hold the water hose for them or what. Not trying to be a smarty, but I have heard this before. I just do not understand how I can offer someone irrigation services.

A while back, one forum member was dealing with drought conditions and he rented portable irrigation systems in the form of a hose, lawn sprinkler, and a water timer. It seemed to work for him and kept the costs low for the customer. All the while keeping the grass growing.

Maybe you could do something like this too.

pfreeman
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
I am a new to the lawn care industry and I have a major issue at hand. I am a small company that just offers a select few services. The weather here in souther indiana is very dry and hot right now. Nobody's grass is growing. What can I offer to my potential customers to keep the wheels spinning?

What services are you offering? I live in Evansville and we are dramatically slower in mowing, but offering other services to our customers. Are you networking or marketing to help develop business?

shadrach
07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Weather is looking better after tomorrow at least.

dpld
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
mulching, shrub trimmng, bed edgeing, gutter cleaning, power washing, window washing, dog waste removal, pool cleaning.

there obviously are many more things you can do but it would depend on the level of experience you have and you really should offer services that could be assocciated with landscaping because you don't want to come off as a jack of all trades.
also, only stick to things that you feel confident that you can do a professional job with because a customers home is the last place you want to be your training school.

i know we all need money but you can not take the chance of producing poor quality work and have it bite you in the arse.

jmisk70
07-06-2012, 11:12 PM
What services are you offering? I live in Evansville and we are dramatically slower in mowing, but offering other services to our customers. Are you networking or marketing to help develop business?

I am currently equipped for mowing, blowing, edging, hedge trimming, small tree removal etc. The thing is, I only have one customer and it just does not seem as if any body is looking for services. I am afraid I am losing my motivation to keep going on with this. I feel as if I should stick with it though.

shadrach
07-07-2012, 04:12 AM
What are you doing for advertising?

jmisk70
07-07-2012, 08:38 AM
What are you doing for advertising?

Right now I am mainly focusing on the internet side of things. Working with my website. What are you doing for advertising?

shadrach
07-07-2012, 09:26 AM
You are hard to find in searches unless I put in your business name.
A google places page would help. Search the internet for SEO tips, there are a lot of things that you could do to your website that would help you show up in searches. Offering more services is going to help you, but being easier to find is going to help you more.

pfreeman
07-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I am currently equipped for mowing, blowing, edging, hedge trimming, small tree removal etc. The thing is, I only have one customer and it just does not seem as if any body is looking for services. I am afraid I am losing my motivation to keep going on with this. I feel as if I should stick with it though.

It can be a good business to work in. We started our business last year, while building it, I have taken a part time job to supplement our income. You may want to consider this while starting out. This year has seen dramatic growth, but I keep the part time gig as a security blanket, especially when it turns cold. Just something to consider.

jmisk70
07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
It can be a good business to work in. We started our business last year, while building it, I have taken a part time job to supplement our income. You may want to consider this while starting out. This year has seen dramatic growth, but I keep the part time gig as a security blanket, especially when it turns cold. Just something to consider.

That is something that I am considering. I would like to take you up on that offer.

pfreeman
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I sent you my # via private message to schedule a time to meet and talk.:)

Godslapper
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm in the same boat. all I could do was to stop doing any trimming and mulch work and save it up just in case the mowing comes to a hault. It's time to send out a letter thanking your customers for all the work they have givin you and to ask if there is anything else you can do for them. Even if it's washing their car. lol. Hang in there it will pass.

LawnTeam
07-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Take your truck and do junk removal. Or, organize garages. Doing organizing is really popular. I'm a NAPO member and they let you register to get free referrals. It's out of the sun and let's you be creative too. Check out the national Association of Professional organizers for ideas. Sometimes when you haul away junk, you find some great things that just need some TLC to be like new.

LawnBoy0311
07-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Something free and easy...check out thumbtack.com it's a free service where people request a service and you get an email. If you want to bid on it, it cost around $3. Worth it in my mind if your a small company with low overhead. It seems like a new website...or maybe I'm a bit slow to the internet world. I've got a few leads from it and cherry pick what I want. POUND PAVEMENT!!!! Pass put as many flyers/business cards as possible. A cheap investment I use is a simple ad on craigslist and pay someone to pass out flyers with me. You get twice as much done. Don't give up, keep staying positive!! It's frustrating, but everything will come together. Just set goals and don't give up!