PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!

The Sodfather
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to ask this but... Can anyone tell me why my lawn mower blade keeps falling off when I attempt to start it?? Its a 21" Snapper self propelled push mower. I had someone using it that managed to hit a curb somehow and bent the blade. I took the blade of to replace it with a new one and ever since then it just falls off if I try to start it. Anyone ever had this problem?? It tightens all the way down and doesn't wiggle at all but as soon as I pull the cord it spins and falls right off.. parts and all...

Sprinkler Buddy
07-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Sounds like the bolt threads may be stripped.

dpld
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
what about the washer? did you put that back on with the new blade and bolt?
if that is not the issue then your bolt's threads are shot or worse, the threads in the hole on the crankshaft that the blade bolts on to are shot.

The Sodfather
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I put all the parts back that are suppose to be there. It tightens down and wont move at all by hand but as soon as I pull the cord BAM!! Falls off. I did notice just now though that the old blade had a small lip in the middle that kind of wrapped up onto the piece connected the the shaft and the new blade doesn't have that. Could that possibly matter so much that it makes the blade fall off??

The Sodfather
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Forgot to ask... If the bolt threads were stripped..would it still tighten??

jrayb39667
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Forgot to ask... If the bolt threads were stripped..would it still tighten??

No it wouldn't. What's strange is that the bolt is a right hand thread and the mower spins clock wise, which means that it should spin the blade/shaft in the direction that would keep bolt tight. You said the blade falls off. Is the bolt coming out too? if the blade is falling off and the bolt is staying in then the hole in the blade is bigger than the bolt holding it on. I would check that 1st.

The Sodfather
07-05-2012, 11:18 PM
The bolt falls out of the shaft and the blade and washers fall with it...

Steve
07-06-2012, 11:09 AM
You should take some video of this and put it on youtube so we can see.

CHEESE2009
07-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Something may be on backwards/upside-down, when it spins it's probably loosening something.

Jack Rabbit
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
It comes off after the mower starts right? Try disconnecting he spark wire and pulling the cord. Does it come off then without the mower starting? Check if it is lose after pulling.

The bolt is tight so it is unlikely to be stripped threads.

Guessing that the blade is slipping so the shaft turns but the blade lags which turns the bolt and unscrews it from the shaft.

I hit something with a blade and that damaged the "star" center of the blade and the thing on the end of the shaft that the holds the blade (that receives the "star"). The blade would shift and turn because the damage let it slip.

Jack Rabbit
07-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Did you solve this? Why was it falling off?

avetslawncare
07-15-2012, 09:38 PM
windex will fix it.

Godslapper
07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
You need a bigger air gun and some lock tite.

CHEESE2009
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
You need a bigger gun and some dynamite.

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cannon.jpg

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/322430/2/stock-photo-322430-dynamite.jpg