PDA

View Full Version : Equip Prep Checklist

morecaffeine
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
We're thinking of putting together an end of day checklist for our peeps to run down before they leave for the day to ensure that all the equipment, etc. is cared for, fueled, and so on - you get the picture. Hoping this ensures our rollout the next day is as fluid as possible. Thinking something that includes:

Refuel mowers
Refuel hand tools
Check fuel containers. How many need filling?
Blow mowers and hand tools clean
Inventory hand tools. Are all accounted for?
Are trimmer lines stocked and loaded?
Are there any items that need maintenance? If so, report to crew leader.

Any suggestions past this? Other thoughts? Have you done this in the past and, if so, did it work?

We're not looking to hinder our crews but trying to make ensure we're as proactive about the next day's start as possible and ensuring we're taking care of our equip.

Steve
07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
I think the checklist is a great idea. Anything you can do that creates structure for your business along with easy to follow instructions, will improve efficiency.

I'd say, go through the process yourself first. Write down each step you take and create a check list from it.

Once you make it, you can attach it in a post and see how others may alter it. That could help you optimize your checklist.

krzys666
07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
We're thinking of putting together an end of day checklist for our peeps to run down before they leave for the day to ensure that all the equipment, etc. is cared for, fueled, and so on - you get the picture. Hoping this ensures our rollout the next day is as fluid as possible. Thinking something that includes:

Refuel mowers
Refuel hand tools
Check fuel containers. How many need filling?
Blow mowers and hand tools clean
Inventory hand tools. Are all accounted for?
Are trimmer lines stocked and loaded?
Are there any items that need maintenance? If so, report to crew leader.

Any suggestions past this? Other thoughts? Have you done this in the past and, if so, did it work?

We're not looking to hinder our crews but trying to make ensure we're as proactive about the next day's start as possible and ensuring we're taking care of our equip.

we do it a little different, but we probably have a larger set up.
1)we refuel everything. we have a 500 gallon tank under the garage, in ground.
we go to new jersey once a week, and use about 300-400 gallons a week. jersey gas is 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper.

2) we change all our blades daily, sharpened once a week, we have 7 sets per machine.

3)all machines are power washed from big mowers, trimmers, blowers ect. we keep everything very clean, so there is no build up on any of the machines of dirt, oil, grass, or grease, especially around the carbs, exaust, and around the primer bulb.

4) trimmer lines are checked.

5) grease for hedge trimmers is checked if they are used.

6) oil is checked on everything

7) record hours on all machines.

8) refuel the trucks, refueling containers on the trucks

9) powerwash the tucks and trailers

10) all hand tools are washed.

we have 3 part time mechanics work on our machines, they change oil, engines when needed, sharpen blades, check belts, grease all grease fittings, fit any machines that need fixing, check all machines that run as suppose to, check any bolts that may get lose, asses any machines we get donated from clients or pick up. they do not work every day, typically 3 days a week in the evenings or Sunday. they get paid 12 an hour, plus a 12 pack of buds a week

krzys666
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
i have spent a great deal of money on marketing
we do a lot of marketing and the business flows

my main problem has been hiring. i just cant find good employes. for the neighborhoods i serve the employes must look good, presentable and speak english well, not perfect but good

dpld
07-02-2012, 08:47 PM
i have spent a great deal of money on marketing
we do a lot of marketing and the business flows

my main problem has been hiring. i just cant find good employes. for the neighborhoods i serve the employes must look good, presentable and speak english well, not perfect but good

join the club, i service corporate headquarter commercial properties and half the guys you hire today have tattoo's up and down their throats with big hoopa joops in their ears.
they all like like a ex con or a circus side show freak.

CHEESE2009
07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
You should hire your competitors staff. You might find that special somebody to take some initiative to help control your company.

It's better than getting 1000 phone calls / emails from Punjabi's who just want your money.

-

As for a checklist, it wouldn't hurt.

My work rules are;
1. No grass left in the trailer, or on equipment.
2. Garbage must be cleared from the truck.
3. No sexual harassment lawsuits.
4. Do a good job, or die.
5. Hold the camera steady when filming me cut a lawn, or die.
6. Don't bring women troubles to work, I am your lover 9-5.
7. Laugh at my jokes.
8. Have a sense of humor, turn your anger into joy - or goodbye!
etc

#8 is really important. If you are able to find someone who finds humor in the trouble they get into, you've got a winner.

For example, if it's a beautiful sunny day, but by the time we load up and arrive to a client further away and it decides to rain only on their street, we laugh it off. Then laugh at ourselves for having such bad luck.

morecaffeine
07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
I actually like this suggestion a good bit. We're set for pretty rapid expansion so having this in place before hand is one less thing to change later on after bad habits are established. Much apprec!

we do it a little different, but we probably have a larger set up.
1)we refuel everything. we have a 500 gallon tank under the garage, in ground.
we go to new jersey once a week, and use about 300-400 gallons a week. jersey gas is 50-60 cents a gallon cheaper.

2) we change all our blades daily, sharpened once a week, we have 7 sets per machine.

3)all machines are power washed from big mowers, trimmers, blowers ect. we keep everything very clean, so there is no build up on any of the machines of dirt, oil, grass, or grease, especially around the carbs, exaust, and around the primer bulb.

4) trimmer lines are checked.

5) grease for hedge trimmers is checked if they are used.

6) oil is checked on everything

7) record hours on all machines.

8) refuel the trucks, refueling containers on the trucks

9) powerwash the tucks and trailers

10) all hand tools are washed.

we have 3 part time mechanics work on our machines, they change oil, engines when needed, sharpen blades, check belts, grease all grease fittings, fit any machines that need fixing, check all machines that run as suppose to, check any bolts that may get lose, asses any machines we get donated from clients or pick up. they do not work every day, typically 3 days a week in the evenings or Sunday. they get paid 12 an hour, plus a 12 pack of buds a week