PDA

View Full Version : Just starting in North Texas

lonestarlawn
07-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Hello everyone, first thanks to all of you that post here on the forums. I gained alot of knowledge the past couple months that i'm sure would have taken me much more time and money to learn on my own.

I officially decided to start on the morning of june 1st, by that afternoon I had my first customer. Today I have 9 customers. Mostly from word of mouth, a couple from craigslist.

My equipment so far includes my 98 GMC 4x4, a honda harmony hrt 216, echo 210 trimmer and echo pb 2000 blower.

I'm hoping to do enough business before the end of the season to pick up a 36" walk behind but we'll see. It does seem like after i take out for fuel, oil, weedeater string and gas for the truck i'll have to have alot of lawns to make a living. Once i can get bigger equipment i'll start looking at commercial jobs. Seems like that would create steadier cash flow throughout the off season. Anyway i figure if i'm gonna make a success out of this I'm gonna have to go at it like a marathon not a sprint.

Thanks again everyone.

Steve
07-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome to our forum!

For the new start up lawn care businesses that have no customers, can you share with us any advice you have on how best to facilitate the early word of mouth that helped you get the customers you got so far?

lonestarlawn
07-02-2012, 07:55 PM
I talk to everyone I come across. If I stop in a convenience store I talk to the clerk about lawn care service. Go to pay a bill i ask the person at the counter. I told everyone I know to talk to everyone they know. Not in a pleading or needy way just let em know i'm in business if they need the service.

My last 2 customers came from referrals. 1 a neighbor of my first customer, that said he was very impressed with the work next door so that's 2 $30.00 lawns right next door to each other, 2 blocks from my house. The other came from my newest customer. I mowed her yard once and she sent me to her friends to bid it. I mowed it while i was there, so thats another 2 $30.00 lawns 2 blocks from each other. Last thursday a neighbors mower crapped out so he asked me to mow his and his rent house next door. Small yards so $50.00 for both and I can walk my equipment across the street to do em. A couple from craigslist and a couple friends rounds out my first month

PVMS
07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Yep, every new person I meet socially,....all new conversations eventually lead to the words "lawn mowing".

Steve
07-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I talk to everyone I come across. If I stop in a convenience store I talk to the clerk about lawn care service.

That is fantastic! Do you find running a business and being a self promoter meshes well with your personality? Do you find yourself to be an extrovert? Or has it been difficult and you are just pushing through it?

lonestarlawn
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I definitely prefer working for myself. Make it or break it, it's up to me