PDA

View Full Version : To bag or not to bag

GrassBlaster
07-02-2012, 01:00 AM
How many of you guys bag when you mow? Around here the other two companys always bag every time. I don't see the need for it if you mow every week, its actually supposed to be good for the lawn to leave the clippings. Just curious what everyone else on here is doing. And how do you handle clients that insist it be bagged every time?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I charge more to bag. I get a lot of biweekly cuts so there is a need for it but if they dont want the pay the extra mullah. Its not my problem. 90% of people never bring up bagging. The ones that do are usually the pickiest of the bunch.

shadrach
07-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Bagging rarely comes up (less than 5% of the time) - have no problem doing it, but going to charge for the extra time.

mark123
07-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I never bag grass clippings. Only leaves.

Liberty Landscaping LLC
07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I have a few biweeklies that need it when there was excessive rain or spring they get charged extra. I have one customer that requested it and she pays extra for the time to empty it and the dump fees. It's normally not much about ten dollars a cut or so. I had one customer that haggled the price on a bi weekly and i said it wouldn't be bagged. In the end I bagged only his front because it looked horrible and my name was attached to it. I dropped him this year.

krzys666
07-02-2012, 08:53 AM
you must have small properties to consider bagging.
we do have bags for all our ztrs and walkbehinds, but they are almost never used. we use the bags only if we are trying to get ride of weeds, to stop the spread.

we typically mulch everything. we will then blow the parts were there are leaves and in the front.

HPI_Savage25
09-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Man I wish I could get away from not bagging....

Down here almost everyone runs Walker mowers so they bag....especially the bermuda and zoisa yards.

If I have a yard that is centipede or such I won't bag it, just open up the back and let it fly out. Other than that....I'm stuck bagging and it SUCKS. I can easily fill my truck/trailer doing just a few yards. Then the $20 dump fee....

stevef1201
09-09-2012, 05:41 AM
I never bag. Have had people ask about it but I tell them I dont have a bagger. (It's 500 for the bagger)

Sprinkler Buddy
09-09-2012, 08:02 AM
I think it depends on the equipment used and the individual who's running it whether the clippings need to be bagged.

I never bag the clippings, it doesn't matter how bad the yard is if you have the right equipment and know how to use it. It's much quicker to mulch it up than it is to pick it up. :-) I have a few bi-weekly hay fields, they always look great when I leave, without picking up a single blade of grass. :-)

CHEESE2009
09-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I bag up until mid June. This is so that the grass growth slows down and I can keep up with it.

People tend to over fertilize in the Spring because they think throwing down seed and 10 tons of fertilizer should create instant results.

rockymtnnut
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
make it so cost prohibitive that they never want to bag. it's a losing proposition for you especially if your schedule is full. when you're backing you're not taking care of your customers on the other end. but if they really want me to bag I will give them exactly what they want.

LawnBoy0311
04-25-2013, 06:08 AM
If they really insist on it being bagged, I will. I try to stear them in the direction I want first though. If they ask, I will tell them I don't. If they say they want it bagged, then I will do it. The customer is always right. No sense in arguing or hiking rates up just because they want it bagged. BUT, there is nothing that says you have to take that customer on next year!

Charge accordingly. Jacking rates up just because they want something will only give you a bad name.

rockymtnnut
04-26-2013, 11:01 AM
If they really insist on it being bagged, I will. I try to stear them in the direction I want first though. If they ask, I will tell them I don't. If they say they want it bagged, then I will do it. The customer is always right. No sense in arguing or hiking rates up just because they want it bagged. BUT, there is nothing that says you have to take that customer on next year!

Charge accordingly. Jacking rates up just because they want something will only give you a bad name.

There is a considerable amount of extra work in bagging. So how will charging extra for extra work give me a bad name? I dont work for free and no.one else should either.

LawnBoy0311
04-26-2013, 11:16 AM
make it so cost prohibitive that they never want to bag. it's a losing proposition for you especially if your schedule is full. when you're backing you're not taking care of your customers on the other end. but if they really want me to bag I will give them exactly what they want.

Didn't you say this?

xandrew245x
04-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Charge for what ever time it would take you to empty your bags out and then disposal of the grass, I wouldn't charge them an outrageous price just because they want it bagged.

One of my new clients wanted it bagged, but I told her I didn't have a bagger and she was okay with it, she just wants me to keep the grass out of her flowerbeds.

ratchetmaster2
04-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I think it depends on the equipment used and the individual who's running it whether the clippings need to be bagged.

I never bag the clippings, it doesn't matter how bad the yard is if you have the right equipment and know how to use it. It's much quicker to mulch it up than it is to pick it up. :-) I have a few bi-weekly hay fields, they always look great when I leave, without picking up a single blade of grass. :-)

I agree whole-heartedly.

If you know what you're doing, you should never have to bag it. I haven't used the bag on my mower in years. I mulch up the clippings, and if the clippings are thick, then I use my blower and spread them around the yard.

I used to bag everything, but I got sick of that really quickly. I always mow at 3inches or above, so that's probably half of the battle right there.
Then, I have a really good mower with a sharp blade, so it does an excellent job mulching.
Then of course, the blower does the remaining work, if there is any.

Only like 20% of the customers even bring it up. I just tell them honestly, I don't do it, because (tons of reasons) and it would cost less.
It costing less is usually enough for them.