PDA

View Full Version : Making my rounds, but...

PineHillLawn
07-01-2012, 04:50 PM
The last two weeks have been on the 100+ here in S.W. MO. I mowed all my yards last week but this week I won't have many, I dont think. All the lawns are browned out and have gone dormant here. The majority of my clients either don't have irrigation or dont use it. I'm going out to make the rounds tomorrow but I'll bet I wont mow but maybe 3-4, if that of my 12 lawns tomorrow. Do any of you mow regardless just to make money, or do you just wait till the rain comes back?

SECTLANDSCAPING
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
If its a monthly contract then your charging accordingly.

If its per cut then your charging for not working.

What I would do is anyone that doesnt need a cut. I would water the grass and pull weeds out of the bed. Then charge them for that!

willshome
07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Do you go to the yard and just not mow? I tell my customers to call by Sunday night to stop service for that week or I will have to bill because driving my truck cost time & money. I also tell them stopping service is fine but I can not hold their space or price

shadrach
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
If you are having the same weather that we are (100+ in the day 75 at night & no rain) it can better to skip a lawn for a week than to mow them - you may finish it off & end up skipping it for another month because of it.

mark123
07-01-2012, 05:54 PM
It's a part of this type of job. I do my rounds and skip the lawns that don't need cut. On Monday I will drive to my Monday lawns and those I skip will give me time to cover some of my Tuesday lawns. Then I can take Independence Day off.

Keep in mind that you can damage a lawn by mowing in hot conditions like I did a few years back. Check the pictures below:
http://images.imaginekitty.com/lawn/mess1.jpg

http://images.imaginekitty.com/lawn/mess2.jpg

http://images.imaginekitty.com/lawn/mess3.jpg

http://images.imaginekitty.com/lawn/mess4.jpg

Hedgemaster
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
On Friday I mowed 4 lawns out of 9 that were on my schedule.

For Monday (tomorrow) I have zero of my usual 7 to cut.

The rest of the week looks like a complete bust as well.

At this point I don't need to go look at any of them, or call anyone, or wait for them to call me.
It doesn't matter if they are weekly accounts or biweekly - the grass stopped growing, turned brown, and went dormant weeks ago, so NONE of them need cut.

I had a call from a lady I do occasional weeding for and I'm going to trim her hillside tomorrow. That whopping $25 will probably be the last $ I see for a while.

Looks like I now have time to try and figure out how to remove my deck and put the mulch kit on my walk behind. Just hope there's something to mulch with it soon.

shadrach
07-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Looks like I now have time to try and figure out how to remove my deck and put the mulch kit on my walk behind. Just hope there's something to mulch with it soon.

Start advertising & talking to people about aerating & overseeding in the fall.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
07-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I Havent mowed in 3 weeks, 90+ with no rain for weeks here in Pittsburgh, I think it rained for maybe 2 minutes one day last week but man am I Hurting. Phone has stopped ringing,

Steve
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Are there other services you could offer while on site besides mowing?

Hedgemaster
07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Are there other services you could offer while on site besides mowing?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.com/media/2007/01/deuce-bigalow.jpg

:D I had to do it.

Hedgemaster
07-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I did a cleanup and some string trimming of a hillside today.

One of my regulars said that since the lawn didn't need cut I could clean up the debris in the yard from the sycamore trees if I wanted. Then she asked if I could trim back the ivy from the edges of all the beds.
That was helpful.

The hillside was one of those "as needed" jobs with another person.

At least I got SOME money today.

KartAnimal29
07-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Raise you cut height to 4in. during the summer time. The lowest I cut is 3.5. I'm up in CT. This help sad out weed and promotes growth, but if it's hot like the south and mid west you screwed with no Irrigation, which is nice to offer to you customers. It's east to do and will add value to there home.

gartslawncare
07-03-2012, 07:50 AM
We do all sorts of other things for our customers besides mowing. We've been doing probably 20% of our usual number of lawns each week...or less. The storm that just passed through northern IN is creating more work for cleaning up limbs, downed trees and debris. But, we also offer landscaping...it seems this year that people have the money to add more plantings since they are saving money from not paying for mowing.

Also, we absolutely NEVER mow a lawn that doesn't need it. We feel that is unethical and just flat out wrong. Would you want someone to do that to you???

Surprisingly, this has been our most successful year yet....year #7 in the business and hardly any mowing. Our landscaping services saved our butts this year!

ladymower
07-03-2012, 08:20 AM
LOL ! :eek: You're bad.... lol ... to the HedgeMaster reply

CHEESE2009
07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
If lawns don't need to be cut, I basically just leave tire marks.

Clients will come out and say "Good job, looks great!".

:rolleyes:

I'll never understand them... lmao

TnLawnDude
07-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Is it ever hot ! several days in the high 90's and then 4 or 5 days in the 100's. 6/27/12 it was 109 the all time high in Nashville,Tn ever recorded and if I remember well the high for that day in the U.S. We are not cutting anything, everything is brown, or dead. I have a friend who went fishing on 6/28/12, said the lake water was so low and the outside temp was so hot, he hooked a Catfish, got it to the boat, and it had a tick on it ! Walking on the grass here is like walking on Corn Flakes. All the mowers are setting around waiting on mother nature to push the rain button, and we all are getting things around the house fixed up, as long as its in the house in the AC. If its hot where your at, be careful - stay cool - maybe it will rain soon and "green" things up again.......

krzys666
07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
If lawns don't need to be cut, I basically just leave tire marks.

Clients will come out and say "Good job, looks great!".

:rolleyes:

I'll never understand them... lmao

this is exactly what we did last year.
we raised the heights on the mowers, and started to cut the grass.
we have stripe kits on all the mowers.
the places looked great, and we moved a lot faster

ladymower
07-03-2012, 08:54 AM
It seems the lawns that are "treated" in this area are the first to brown out. I have several that are full of clover and the owners love it since they still have green in their lawn. I do start mowing taller as soon as the spring rush growth starts to slow down. Most of the lawns I mow stay greener longer. What really saves me is the big jobs in the country that are basically fields turned lawn. I may only mow them every other week but they always need mowed to not look so raggy. I also have the pond and creek bank weedeating jobs to fill in. Work does slow down but does not come to a stop. Gives me time to work in my own yard.

rhpmgroup
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
for the customers that have irrigation systems, I would sell them and install an automatic controller so that you can then manage the lawns according to the weather and keep your customers lawns lush and green even in the hotter temps, those with-out systems, sell them and install an irrigation system. Even if they have to pay it off in their contract, it is then easier for you to maintain happy customers.

brian'slawncare
07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Keep in mind that you can damage a lawn by mowing in hot conditions like I did a few years back. Check the pictures below:

How does this happen? just by stepping on the grass and going over it with the tires? I think I have seen this before but I just can't figure out how it happens...

Anyone know? Thanks

mark123
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
How does this happen? just by stepping on the grass and going over it with the tires? I think I have seen this before but I just can't figure out how it happens...

Anyone know? Thanks

It seems to happen to fine fescue grass the most. Mowing and even just stepping on the lawn when it is dry must break the crown of the grass and the lack of moisture doesn't allow it to repair itself. That's my guess.

PineHillLawn
07-03-2012, 12:26 PM
It seems to happen to fine fescue grass the most. Mowing and even just stepping on the lawn when it is dry must break the crown of the grass and the lack of moisture doesn't allow it to repair itself. That's my guess.

Sure wish a full day of rain was in the forecast :( I remember when I was a kid, we'd get an all day rain. Now we just get a little pee rain and it's over and goes into the heat and humidity. Makes this line of work suck!!!!

willshome
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I am having the other problem, to much rain every other day some and one day a week is a wash out

GrassBlaster
07-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I am having the other problem, to much rain every other day some and one day a week is a wash out

I wish the rest of us had your problem.

jbungard1856
07-03-2012, 04:13 PM
The weather has been hot and dry in NE Ohio also. We DO NOT cut grass that does not need cut. Yeah it sucks but just can't bring myself to do that to people. One thing that has saved me in the past when these things start to happen is to watch people start selling their equipment dirt cheap. You'll start seeing 60" Exmark Zero turns pop up for $2000. If you have the money jump on them. You'll double your money within a month or two. You'll be surprised what people will off just to get by. I just picked up a 16' landscape trailer last week, fully equipped with trimmer racks and all for $800. Sold Yesterday without all the racks for $1800. Think outside the box a little. There is money out there while we are waiting for it to rain.