PDA

View Full Version : Stump Removal Question

Lawny Anderson
07-01-2012, 03:49 PM
I've seen the stump removal stuff at the hardware stores/home depot - do they actually work well? Do you have any recommendations or tips?

I'm trying to help a lady save money on her lawn. She has an awful tree she needs removed (for safety reasons as well as costly maintenance) and she can't really afford to have all the work done so I'm trying to help her save money and wanted to try a product vs. the stump grinder (which would cost more). Anybody have any experience with that stuff?

Thanks!!!

dpld
07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I've seen the stump removal stuff at the hardware stores/home depot - do they actually work well? Do you have any recommendations or tips?

I'm trying to help a lady save money on her lawn. She has an awful tree she needs removed (for safety reasons as well as costly maintenance) and she can't really afford to have all the work done so I'm trying to help her save money and wanted to try a product vs. the stump grinder (which would cost more). Anybody have any experience with that stuff?

Thanks!!!

thosen products are a waste of time and they are bad for the enviroment.

it is pretty effective if you got a couple of years.

wat5150
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Stay away from that stuff.

Steve
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
She has an awful tree she needs removed (for safety reasons as well as costly maintenance) and she can't really afford to have all the work done

Can you just cut it down as long to the ground as possible then and leave it at that?

wat5150
07-02-2012, 01:40 PM
One cheap alternative to stump grinding: take a drill with a spade bit(whatever size is appropriate for the size of the stump) and drill holes in the stump. Go about 3-4 inches down(again this depends on size of the stump). Once you have your holes drilled fill them with dirt(topsoil,etc). The soil will hold water and help decompose the stump quicker. This will still take quite a while but it is way better than using chemicals.

Steve
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Very creative idea!

Lawny Anderson
07-03-2012, 04:26 PM
i asked her if she even needs it removed completely cus i am not pushing to remove it. the neighborhoods here have really unreasonably strict HOA's so i'm not sure what she can or can't do. i told her to leave it alone if she doens't have to do it cus she doesn't care about aesthetics. she hasn't gotten back to me yet tho.

thanks for the tips tho.

Steve
07-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm trying to help her save money and wanted to try a product vs. the stump grinder (which would cost more).

Also keep in mind those stump grinders at home depot are pretty cheap, especially if you can bring them back within 4 hours.

http://www.enonhall.com/images/03072004/grinder.jpg

jandrbusiness
07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
I do this for a workout and to relieve frustrations.I dig around the stump with a pick ax then I take an Ax and beat the hell (chip it) of the stump until it is low enough to cover it back up with dirt.It like a war eather the stump goes down or I will but it would make a great you tube vid.

hand tools will out last chain saws when doind stump work you make several cuts with the chain saw b4 dies and take out the rest of the stump with the ax

Take Care

jt

Godslapper
07-10-2012, 09:40 AM
How big is the tree and or stump ? A stump grinder really is the only way to go. If cost is that big an issue you may not want to do much work for her.

Lawny Anderson
08-08-2012, 09:52 PM
thanks for all the responses. didn't get the job anyway. the pickax idea will be fun for my husband!! not me!! haha. altho, my husband doing it could be fun for me haha.

the stump grinder is $110 and she couldn't afford to cover the costs.

Steve
08-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Sorry about that, but on the bright side, next time you will be even more prepared to bid on such a job! :)

stevef1201
08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I drilled some holes in one once, and filled the holes with LYE. It took a year or so but the stump did go away.

Probably against the law now what with the libs trying to regulate everything

xandrew245x
08-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I got a call for stump grinding the other day, I told him I didn't do that, but now i wish I would have atleast given him an estimate. I figured with me having to go rent a machine and all, it would be cheaper for someone else to do it, but he seemed to be having trouble finding someone to do it, so who knows he may have not been price shopping.

Next time I think I'll jump on it.

Caskey Lawns & Landscapes
08-09-2012, 09:44 PM
$60 for 4 hours, you can work that into an estimate ...easy way too make some coins...