PDA

View Full Version : Saving a competitor's life....

SouthallMowing
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
I just finished putting the trailer up, and got inside and tones dropped for a rollover on a local state route. Well, this is my first day of being a certified EMT in the state of Ohio. So, I made a quick run down to station, 2 other EMT's were waiting for my arrival. We get to the wreck. Fire department is there, they just got done blocking traffic with cones and stuff. I got out of the squad, assess the first patient I get to. a 20 something female. She's breathing, out of the car, at this time not sure how. I hear someone yell "We got someone over here" they were about 50 feet away. I got over there, to find not only one of my mowing competition people, but a mower, that I graduated high school with exactly a month ago. This was on the 27th. After the quick life saving techniques, a few higher card EMT's took over, because I'm a basic, and he wasn't breathing and was unresponsive. I don't think I have to tell anyone that they were ejected by this time. The female, still awake and talking, told us they were high. Awesome.... They both got flown to a trauma 1 center in Columbus. She's doing okay. just a broken hip. He however, has too many broken bones to list, needs plastic surgery, he's on a ventilator, his liver is shutting down. Nothing, scared me more than seeing him lay there that night. Not only just a mower that helps me out, and I help him out, but a classmate, one who I was somewhat close to. Just laying there. Downside to being a 911 squad. But if he pulls through, nothing will make me happier, than seeing him on that mower again...

Steve
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
WOW What a call! I hope he pulls through. When people get ejected, it's never ever a good thing as there is an enormous amount of trauma the body is inflicted with.

There are many people out there that just don't like wearing seat belts and feel like they are super safe in a car with airbags. But when a car rolls, windows break and forces fling people out in ways unimaginable.

Good job to you for being there to help.

CHEESE2009
07-02-2012, 08:16 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/21040763.jpg

Potheads = 0.

SouthallMowing
07-03-2012, 12:05 AM
He has a lot of broken bones, and some brain damage. But it may be revserable, and it took him 4 days to become responsive. But he is slowly coming to.

Steve
07-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Well you did a great job and should feel good for being so helpful!