PDA

View Full Version : Government bids?

Steve
11-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Have you ever bid on a government contract? If so, what did you think of the experience and do you have any advice about the process?

It seems like some local governments are making an attempt at helping small business owners get contracts.

Help for Small Businesses (http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7305366) - "Pick up the debris, come in and cut the grass and keep the shrubbery trim and basically keep the park clean."

He owns E&H Lawn Care. Almost two years ago he got his biggest project, maintaining the landscape of a city park. He says it was a difficult process.

"I just thank God my bid is one that they accepted."

The Office of Small and Disadvantaged Businesses works with people like Houston to ensure small business owners get a chance at the millions of dollars available from city and county contracts.

S.P.Martin Lawn Care
11-04-2007, 08:47 PM
The bigger the government you deal with, the more difficult it gets to win a bid. I think part of the game involves just seeing who can complete the application process....

Seriously, if you ask the right person the right questions, you will have plenty of help in getting you on your way.

Some food for thought, when bidding on a government job, keep in mind that most states, if not all, have some kind of freedom of information act. Once a bid has been awarded and in place, it should become public record since it is your tax dollar being spent. Doesn't hurt to see what the previous winning bid was so you can be in the thick of it come time to place your proposal.

Steve
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh that is a very good point Steve!

Do you have any thoughts as to how one would go about finding such previous bids? Are these records even kept?

pnplawn
11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Quote[/b] (S.P.Martin Lawn Care @ Nov. 04 2007,8:47)]Doesn't hurt to see what the previous winning bid was so you can be in the thick of it come time to place your proposal.
I do it all the time. Most city websites and state websites ahve what they call budget plan for the year. Its listed in there also you can go to the clerks office and see there in each county if its for county or city.

Steve
11-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Can you show us a for instance on your county's (or another) site so we can see what to search for?