PDA

View Full Version : making the jump

grassmasterj
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Hey all,

I was an insurance agent for 8 years and couldn't take it anymore and decided to make the jump and Hong to start my own lawn care and property maintenance company. I will be attending our local community college to get my A.A.S in turf management. What does everyone recommend to start out with for equipment? The Honda or toro commercial push mower? Stihl blower and trimmer or Echo. I want to start getting my equipment now and start next summer. All help is greatly appreciated!

Josh

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-28-2012, 12:53 AM
i recommend you get started in the meantime. you'll learn more in the field and using goolge faster than waiting to look clean from a class at your local school.

for credentials sake i dont knock that, but get your hands dirty.

i'd say take classes while you have the free time and money, or wait until winter if you currently have the work, time, or money.

Steve
06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Do you take care of your property now? If so can you use the equipment you have now and then scale up as needed?

Are you looking to take on customers now? Have you talked to your neighbors and friends to see if they can hire your services to help get you started?

grassmasterj
06-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Hi Steve ~

Thank you for your reply! I do take care of my own property now and just went out and picked up and echo trimmer and blower. I want to add customers right now however I do have a truck to haul my equipment around. I am planning on saving up some money to purchase a truck and trailer outright and looking to market and really get started next year. I do have some people in my direct area that have talked to me about mowing, just worried to get started since I don't have a truck/

wandfsmall
06-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Steve ~

Thank you for your reply! I do take care of my own property now and just went out and picked up and echo trimmer and blower. I want to add customers right now however I do have a truck to haul my equipment around. I am planning on saving up some money to purchase a truck and trailer outright and looking to market and really get started next year. I do have some people in my direct area that have talked to me about mowing, just worried to get started since I don't have a truck/

I would recommend trying to start part time and keep a day job at first, the first 10 clients are the hardest to get. As for equipment I recommend finding a dealer that is honest and getting the stuff from them, that way you can get parts and help if you need it, if you find a good dealer you will find that you will pay less then at a box store.

Steve
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
just worried to get started since I don't have a truck

A lot of forum members got their start without a truck. Some with just cars. Some with cars and converted boat trailers.

grassmasterj
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey everyone,

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and I have gone our and got a couple of accounts. I am so excited. One person was so happy they signed up right away for the rest of the year!

What have you guys done to generate more business other than word of mouth? I am going to target neighborhoods next year and do cluster marketing so that I have multiple houses per stop.

Any help is appreciated!

Josh

Steve
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Can you hand out flyers in your area to gain more customers?

grassmasterj
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I was going to print off some door hangers with a 1st mow is free coupon when the use me as their primary lawn care provider, also offering a free service to those who refer customers to me.

Von Bobbeh
07-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Don't do first mow is free, you will get cheap PITA costumers that will try and stiff you and do their own lawn once the weather starts getting warm. Go for quality desiring costumers that are willing to sign up for weekly care, and just treat those ones well. And the first mow can be disastrous and take 3+ hours if it has been neglected. If anything waive the "first mow fee" but that can still result in bad costumers.

grassmasterj
07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Don't do first mow is free, you will get cheap PITA costumers that will try and stiff you and do their own lawn once the weather starts getting warm. Go for quality desiring costumers that are willing to sign up for weekly care, and just treat those ones well. And the first mow can be disastrous and take 3+ hours if it has been neglected. If anything waive the "first mow fee" but that can still result in bad costumers.

Thanks a TON for that advice, I never looked at it from that point of view! Excellent stuff!