PDA

View Full Version : Getting lowballed!

PineHillLawn
06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
I was out on my route Monday and pulled up to a house we had only mowed twice so far. Its a pretty small yard and we bid the yard at $30 bi-weekly. Monday when we pulled up there was a new crew out mowing the yard. I called the homeowner and said there is a crew mowing the yard, she told me they gave her a price of $20 to mow, and sorry I meant to call you but forgot. I wanted to tell her, well since we were already there and hadn't been notified I will have to charge you for half/full price of the yard. I have on all my invoices I require 3 days notice for cancelled service. What do any of you guys do in a situation like that?

dpld
06-27-2012, 10:02 AM
it sucks and you probably could bust her chops but in the end it is just a deadbeat customer looking for a sucker to take care of her responsibillities that her lazy arse won't do.

just chock it up for experience, it is not worth the grief for a $30.00 lawn.

Steve
06-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I am sorry about this too but this customer was going to be a big problem, either sooner or later. It's better for you that it was sooner, so the loss is minimized.

As you mover forwards, do you feel this situation will change the way you operate at all? Was there a lesson you can take with you to apply to future customers?

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-27-2012, 12:43 PM
thats a tough one but I would be tempted to say "I'm sorry to inform you but theres a $15 fee for making me drive here".

PineHillLawn
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I am sorry about this too but this customer was going to be a big problem, either sooner or later. It's better for you that it was sooner, so the loss is minimized.

As you mover forwards, do you feel this situation will change the way you operate at all? Was there a lesson you can take with you to apply to future customers?

Theres nothing to be sorry about, Sheit Happens! I do know that if it happens again I will put on the bill and call to let them know, you owe us for half the pay of the yard for not letting us know before we drove all the way over here. I just thought a phone call 3 days before we are scheduled to be there was ample time but she didnt even give me the courtesy of letting me know the day of our scheduled mow. One thing I didn't mention was, after we pulled up, the guy in the front yard that was trimming, looked at me and just smiled ear to ear, like he knew he screwed us. I'm not so pissed I lost the job as I am about driving over there and then finding out that way.

Willco
06-27-2012, 02:22 PM
I keep a customer "black list" for people like this. If they ever call me again I require payment in advance BEFORE I will even go to their location. Either credit card or mail me a check then I will mow. My list gets longer each season. Their rates will also be a little higher.

PineHillLawn
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
I keep a customer "black list" for people like this. If they ever call me again I require payment in advance BEFORE I will even go to their location. Either credit card or mail me a check then I will mow. My list gets longer each season. Their rates will also be a little higher.

Now thats a good idea! I think all new clients are gonna be prepay if they do monthly billing. Then I can just have them write a check and post date it. Then I know I at least have the check, my only concern would be if they cancel the check on me before the date on the check!

Hedgemaster
06-27-2012, 05:42 PM
That was pretty low on the homeowner's part.

You know, I'll never understand why these people won't say "Hey, I was wondering if we could discuss the price. If I can't the price down a little, I'll need to look for another service."

No, they just drop you. Maybe you would have done it for the same price as the other guy? (not YOU specifically - just as an example)

Definitely better off though not dealing with someone like that.

strength
06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
i do not cut with out a contract this stops that whole mess

PineHillLawn
06-27-2012, 06:04 PM

You know, I'll never understand why these people won't say "Hey, I was wondering if we could discuss the price. If I can't the price down a little, I'll need to look for another service."

No, they just drop you. Maybe you would have done it for the same price as the other guy? (not YOU specifically - just as an example)

I know, Right? I'm not saying I would have done the yard for $20 thats why I bid it at $30, but she didnt even call to tell me. It's not hard to do. I'm ok with losing a job (kinda). If someone will do it cheaper, they won't do it for long if they work for money, I just dont see how hard it could have been to call me and say, " Thanks Matt, for your service but we needed to try and find a cheaper rate, if you can match it we'll stay with you, if not we'll have to use this other service". No hard feeling, no mentioning it on certain forums, just go about the day. Just makes you wanna go back and scalp the yard! :)

LawnBoy0311
06-27-2012, 06:04 PM
i don't do contracts at all...i feel like its up to the customer if they want to discontinue my service. but i would try to slam them a min. charge or maint. fee for showing up without proper notice. You'd be amazed...most people will pay it because they feel bad. I'm sure you'll pick up a new customer soon. Promote a sale and pick up a few more customers.

PineHillLawn
06-27-2012, 06:08 PM
i don't do contracts at all...i feel like its up to the customer if they want to discontinue my service. but i would try to slam them a min. charge or maint. fee for showing up without proper notice. You'd be amazed...most people will pay it because they feel bad. I'm sure you'll pick up a new customer soon. Promote a sale and pick up a few more customers.

Well its not that I needed her yard! I just want the respect of getting a call before we show up and there's another crew doing the yard. A Scalped yard may be in order. Maybe I should call her and say we'll do it for $10 and just never show up.

shadrach
06-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I would send a bill.

LawnBoy0311
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I think if you take the time to do her lawn the right way, at least a call would be nice! So i can't agree with you more. Hopefully she will call back because the other guy screwed up, then raise the price!! Thats the classic FU

dpld
06-27-2012, 07:13 PM

that is because they automatically think just because they found some low baller that you are ripping them off and are a theif.

we are all one low baller away from losing our work all together.

a town where i grew up had a bunch of old landscape businesses that pretty much had the lock down on the area and then they all jumped on the illegal worker band wagon.
fast forward a dozen years to today and these wetbacks have started their own businesses in the same town and took their work away and half the big companies are out of business.

these guys litterally took over the town and they really got their grip tight on the area when the economy went south.
why?, because they were low balling.

jonathan thomas
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
this happen to me last week. lady call me wanting yearly lawn service.
a small yard appox 7 mins to mow with a 36 inch walkbehind. my min charge for those lawns is 65.00 a month i cut her yard 1 time and then the next week she call me and said so and so said they would do it for 45.00 a month
and do it with a push mower. i said ok and she was like can you do it for that price and i said no, i cant even cut your lawn for 65.00 a month with a push mower it would have to be more.