PDA

View Full Version : Dropping off proposals..

lawnguy11
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I was talking with another lco here in town and he was telling me he has been sucessful with typing up a proposal for the business(es) that he wants to target, he said he drops it off with either the owner or appropriate person. Anybody try this? Would you recommend putting it in an envelope and writing Att: Property manager or something along those lines..

Figured i'd throw this out there and get some feedback on it..

Thanks in advance,
Steven

Apex Lawn & Landscape
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you'd be steppin on toes..at the beginning of the season, ya sure...middle of the season, no way! I think a one on one conversation about possibly taking a particular account on next year is best..but to me, a random bid on work that you werent even contacted about comes off kind of desperate . But I guess if it works it works.

lawnguy11
06-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you'd be steppin on toes..at the beginning of the season, ya sure...middle of the season, no way! I think a one on one conversation about possibly taking a particular account on next year is best..but to me, a random bid on work that you werent even contacted about comes off kind of desperate . But I guess if it works it works.

Yeah i tend to agree with you on looking desperate. That was my initial thought when he mentioned this.

Steve
06-27-2012, 01:09 PM
You know we have seen discussions on here that were for and against this method.

The downside to it is that you aren't able to harness your sales skills and sales presentation. You can't talk with the property manager and point out different issues and how you would resolve them. You are just basically throwing out a price and hoping everything lines up that they call you back.

Now maybe if you have time on your hands and you want to work on your estimating process, you might do this and maybe it will work. It may also work with commercial properties that look as though they aren't currently being cared for. But it seems there are other ways that would be more effective.

stevef1201
06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Here is a hint-anything that is addressed to manager, owner, property manager-will be ignored!!!!!

Call, again I say CALL the business, ask the person who answers if they know who in responsible for the work, You will quite probably be given to a manager, ask them he same question.

The answer you get will be important, they will tell WHO, BY NAME to contact. They will also tell you how to contact that person.

Send by name, that person a letter. Tell them you would like to added to thier bidding list.

Wait one week and call that person, ask them if they got your letter, then ask if they need anyother information from you to add your name to thier bidding list. You will probably get a chance to tell him about yourself. Often that person will get you to do a small job to check you out.

YOU WILL get a chance to bid on the job when the contract comes up for renewal. Or if the current guy gets fired.

Monthly send the guy little things like a post card on fertilizing, shrub trimming, tree pruning, weed killing etc.

If you keep you name in front of him, without being pushy you have a good chane of getting information that no one gets-the current rates, and why they are looking to replace the current servie.

lawnguy11
06-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks, very good info guys.

Steve
06-29-2012, 11:13 AM
With all this in mind now, how might this information change the way you do your commercial bidding?

lawnguy11
06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
With all this in mind now, how might this information change the way you do your commercial bidding?

I think stevf hit the nail on the head, i have some commercial accounts already by getting ahold of the property managers but i'm always looking to see what works for other people. I still feel i have a lot to learn about commercial property and so far this forum has given me info that takes most people years to learn.

Steven

Steve
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Keep us posted on how your future commercial customer bids go and how your sales process evolves over time.