PDA

View Full Version : W3 Validator

w0283767
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Anyone have experience with the W3 validator? Mainly my keywords in my meta tags are causing errors. Something about attribute not serializable. Help!

Www.northshorelawn.com (http://www.northshorelawn.com)

CHEESE2009
06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
You have this

content=”xxxxxxxxxx">

but you need this

content=”xxxxxxxxxx" />

w0283767
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm. Thanks for taking a look for me. I tried adding in the "/" both with and without the space and it hasn't seemed to help any. Not sure what the heck the issue is.

w0283767
06-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I modeled the keyword coding from someone on the forum so I will have to ask them if they can give me any advice. As you can see below, theirs comes back clean as a whistle mine is coming back full of errors.

I had taken a look at www.boughterslawncare.com since he seemed to be a pro at web development judging from the forum and his site ran clean on the validator. Mark123, I hope you don't mind me using your site as an example. Hopefully I bring you some traffic.

Theirs

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head><meta charset="UTF-8" /><meta name="keywords" content="New Castle, PA, Edinburg, Edinberg, Edenburg, Bessemer, New Wilmington, West Pittsburgh, 16101, 16102, 16103, 16105, 16117, 16148, lawn care, fertilizer, fertilizing, weed control, grubs, chinch bugs, grass, weeds, kentucky blue grass, pest control, certified applicator, professional mowing, leaf removal" /><meta name="description" content="New Castle's premier lawn care services. Professional mowing and fertilizing." /><title>

Passed, 1 warning(s)

Mine
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html><head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<meta name=”keywords” content=”Madisonville, Mandeville, Covington, Ponchatoula, Hammond, Louisiana, lawn care service, mowing, grass cutting, landscaping, leaf removal, clean up, fertilizer, fertilizing, mulch, shrubs, trimming” />

<meta name=”description” content=”Delivering high quality lawn care at an affordable price to residential and commercial clients in the Northshore area.”>

<title>Northshore Lawn and Landscape Madisonville, La | Lawn Care Service</title>

Validation Output: 56 Errors

Line 4, Column 232: Attribute mandeville, is not serializable as XML 1.0.
…g, leaf removal, clean up, fertilizer, fertilizing, mulch, shrubs, trimming” />

Line 4, Column 232: Attribute covington, is not serializable as XML 1.0.
…g, leaf removal, clean up, fertilizer, fertilizing, mulch, shrubs, trimming” />

Line 4, Column 232: Attribute ponchatoula, is not serializable as XML 1.0.

Line 4, Column 232: Attribute hammond, is not serializable as XML 1.0.

w0283767
06-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I modeled the keyword coding from someone on the forum so I will have to ask them if they can give me any advice. As you can see below, theirs comes back clean as a whistle mine is coming back full of errors.

I had taken a look at www.boughterslawncare.com since he seemed to be a pro at web development judging from the forum and his site ran clean on the validator. Mark123, I hope you don't mind me using your site as an example. Hopefully I bring you some traffic.

Theirs

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head><meta charset="UTF-8" /><meta name="keywords" content="New Castle, PA, Edinburg, Edinberg, Edenburg, Bessemer, New Wilmington, West Pittsburgh, 16101, 16102, 16103, 16105, 16117, 16148, lawn care, fertilizer, fertilizing, weed control, grubs, chinch bugs, grass, weeds, kentucky blue grass, pest control, certified applicator, professional mowing, leaf removal" /><meta name="description" content="New Castle's premier lawn care services. Professional mowing and fertilizing." /><title>

Passed, 1 warning(s)

Mine
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html><head>

<meta charset="UTF-8">

<meta name=”keywords” content=”Madisonville, Mandeville, Covington, Ponchatoula, Hammond, Louisiana, lawn care service, mowing, grass cutting, landscaping, leaf removal, clean up, fertilizer, fertilizing, mulch, shrubs, trimming” />

<meta name=”description” content=”Delivering high quality lawn care at an affordable price to residential and commercial clients in the Northshore area.”>

<title>Northshore Lawn and Landscape Madisonville, La | Lawn Care Service</title>

Validation Output: 56 Errors

Line 4, Column 232: Attribute mandeville, is not serializable as XML 1.0.

w0283767
06-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Dangit. The source code is not copying over. Maybe I put too much in one post. I will have to revisit tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look though Cheese.

CHEESE2009
06-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Dangit. The source code is not copying over. Maybe I put too much in one post. I will have to revisit tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look though Cheese.

I'm going to give it a better look, as soon as my girlfriend stops explaining to me how she needs to invent something people would buy, for her school project.

So far, she wants to come up with a product where paper can be recycled at home into NEW paper.

She found a site that shows how simple paper can be re-made, but the end result isn't very pretty. It would need to be mechanical, and very expensive to get the right quality made - which defeats the entire purpose of being cost-effective and appealing to consumers.

Women logic: 0, me: 1

mark123
06-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey, thanks for noticing my super clean coding. ;)

I think your problem is that you're using curly quotes around your values.

Use straight quotes instead.

Instead of this ” use "

mark123
06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
You have this

but you need this

In HTML5 the closing slash is no longer required but it is optional.

Once you change out the quotes let me know if you need help sorting out the other errors. We could probably do away with some of those extraneous DIVs, too. Since you're using the HTML5 doctype you may as well go with the HTML5 semantic tags.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-26-2012, 11:21 PM
since i am the "internet genius" let me tell you that google hasn't indexed websites based off of meta tags (keywords is a meta tag name) in YEARS.

if you want to boost your google rank, which you WANT to do, thosewill not help.

AT ALL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnmvVU

look into it more for yourself if you don't believe me, but i know my sh!t.

w0283767
06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Lol I didn't even know there was a difference between curly and non-curly quotation marks.I will have to look at my keyboard when I get home. Thanks for the help!

Weekend warrior, I will have to take a look at that video. I had read they were important but I am new to this stuff. They don't make it very easy to figure out do they? Thanks!

mark123
06-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Lol I didn't even know there was a difference between curly and non-curly quotation marks.I will have to look at my keyboard when I get home. Thanks for the help! It's not the keyboard, it's the editor you are using. MS Word will add curly quotes so don't use that for coding. :)

w0283767
06-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Haha I just realized that as well. I am using Dreamweaver CS5.5. Any idea on how I can get it to stop doing this? I am going to try to manually edit the html file outside of dreamweaver.

mark123
06-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I have a searing hatred for dreamweaver but I don't think it will add curly quotes unless you copy and paste them in.

If that is the case just watch your copy source. Wordpress will do things to code examples.

If you are going to use dreamweaver use the code view and avoid the layout view.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-27-2012, 10:50 PM
maybe work with a portal system that is already cleared to pass w3 standards in advance.

then all you have to do is make a theme and add your content.

w0283767
06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I don't know what that even means but it seems logical to just spend a little time fixing the code errors than rebuild the site completely. Got it down to 16 errors in about 5 minutes.

CHEESE2009
06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Try this out my friend!

Found this pretty awesome tutorial, and it's SO simple to learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQMnpUsj8I

mark123
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
... it seems logical to just spend a little time fixing the code errors than rebuild the site completely. Absolutely. Validating isn't rocket surgery. ;)

... Got it down to 16 errors in about 5 minutes.
Nice work. Looks like most of them are cascading so fixing one will clear up a bunch.