PDA

View Full Version : New to business

locallawncarebywes
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
New to lawn care business. Lost job. Sold Harley. Bought equipment. Trying to get 1st customer. Started website with google. Signing up on any free website I can get the business info out there. time to do flyer and go door to door I guess. It has been 2 weeks. I have to work on SEO's to get my site on first page. Any tips out there? Looks like there are alot of pro's on this site. Thanks

tx_limo
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
New to lawn care business. Lost job. Sold Harley. Bought equipment. Trying to get 1st customer. Started website with google. Signing up on any free website I can get the business info out there. time to do flyer and go door to door I guess. It has been 2 weeks. I have to work on SEO's to get my site on first page. Any tips out there? Looks like there are alot of pro's on this site. Thanks

Welcome to the business! A lot of folks may disagree with me but if you are looking for your first customer, I would start with Craigslist. I know that personally, I handed out several hundred flyers and got a minimal response. I started posting on Craigslist and I have most of my customers from there. The trick is to post a couple times during the day (morning and evening, etc). Yes, you may get some people wanting you to mow 40 acres for $25 :eek: but you can always turn them down. I've got 5 weekly customers, 2 biweekly, and 1 property management customer all from craigslist, not to mention the one-timers. I'm getting calls all the time for quotes too.

While it may not be the best way to advertise and you probably don't want to stake your entire business on it, I think Craigslist is a good place to start. Don't stop with the other marketing methods either. I think that is where more of your business will eventually come from. Craigslist is just a starting point. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!!

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
The best advertising is wait for it................... Word of mouth!

I would target friends and family first. Give them discounts. First youll learn how long it takes to do different size yards and second youll be seen doing it.

willshome
06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
both c-list and word mouth are great starts
here is my list of places to list your site (http://brocktonlawns.wordpress.com/helping-your-business-reach-others/)
and here you can leave your info and make a free easy backlink to my page (http://brocktonlawns.wordpress.com/about/)
The first year is hard

Sprinkler Buddy
06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
The best advertising is wait for it................... Word of mouth!

I would target friends and family first. Give them discounts. First youll learn how long it takes to do different size yards and second youll be seen doing it.

Great advise above! Don't spend money your not making yet.

Steve
06-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Are you talking to your friends and family? Have you asked them if you could take care of their property? It's easier to get your first customer through someone you know and then work outwards from there.

SEO is important but at this early stage it is more important to network within your social network to line up work.

Keep us posted on how everything is going for you.