PDA

View Full Version : "edge-mastering"

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-25-2012, 10:58 PM
it's an art form. these are not some of my best scenes in action, but this is what I do with my crew doing other work.

my buddy doesn't know how to take good pictures with his camera, but still kinda fun. the sidewalk and boulevard here was really nasty before. i never remember to get before pics!

Steve
06-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Are there certain techniques about edging with your line trimmer that you feel most new business owners don't understand how to do?

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
i would advice anyone interested in learning how to edge with a weed whacker to begin experiments at home, and look up some youtube education on it. there are a lot of great videos showing different techniques.

eventually after you do it, the weed whacker becomes an extension of your arm, and anyone with a creative or artistic talent will really get into it.

i love doing it. i just recommend saftey first because debris flies up like no tomorrow. even with the protective guard you can take a beating. today i took a stone to the side of my face at around 60 miles an hour! im ready for a face mask and some form of air filtration because this will really let you know how dry a clients soil is.

what edging techniques have you used with success? what do you advocate or recommend?

baileysgreenthumb
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
I would advice a face shield and putting the trimmer guard back on. Unless you want a shattered tooth.

dpld
09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
I would advice a face shield and putting the trimmer guard back on. Unless you want a shattered tooth.

i don't think he needs your advice because he most likely is not pretending to be in business anymore considering he could not afford to put a 300 dollar window in his car.

plus he does not come here anymore.

wat5150
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
This is good stuff!! Those pics are hilarious!! LMAO. Extension of your arm!!!!!LOL Jesus what a knob.

mark123
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
... Extension of your arm!!!!! ...
You too can learn this secret technique at the Dojo of the Grassless Edge! $35.99/month. You pay NOW!!!

CHEESE2009
09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
This is good stuff!! Those pics are hilarious!! LMAO. Extension of your arm!!!!!LOL Jesus what a knob.

Bastard. You bumped this over my post?

Now you are obliged to go and comment on it!

It's titled "SOD FUN"...

:'(

</3

SECTLANDSCAPING
09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Bastard. You bumped this over my post?

Now you are obliged to go and comment on it!

It's titled "SOD FUN"...

:'(

</3

If you put rolling sod is like a extension of my foot. You might have some Gopher love.

Everybody thinks its all fun and games till that high powered ryobi takes out a eye.;)

CHEESE2009
09-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Rolling sod becomes an extension of my wang.

It's an erotic service, getting on my knees and all for mother nature.

wat5150
06-26-2013, 05:51 AM
lol!!!!!!!!! I love this post. An art form!!!! Lol.

Hedgemaster
06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
I've had eccentric millionaires pay tens of thousands for some of my edging.

avetslawncare
06-26-2013, 08:51 AM
or you could just spend a few hundred bucks for a real edger....of course it would pay itself off....."while his crew is doing the other work"....bc I am sure he has so much business that he needs a full "Crew"

LawnBoy0311
06-26-2013, 08:51 AM
I've had eccentric millionaires pay tens of thousands for some of my edging.

You only wish you were as good as me! My edging is so good I charge a penny a foot. Charging less = more work.

avetslawncare
06-26-2013, 08:58 AM
You only wish you were as good as me! My edging is so good I charge a penny a foot. Charging less = more work.

I can only hope that you are joking about that

Hedgemaster
06-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I can only hope that you are joking about that

Edging is serious business.

Billy Goat
06-26-2013, 08:27 PM
I could use some edging tips from the pros. I string trim tons of sunken flower beds each week. It takes me aleast 10 hours to complete on a 50 acre estate. They want the grass tapered off the top edge of the bed with a sharp clean cut edge into the bed with no blades of grass showing. The only way I can do it is with 2 passes, first I run the string trimmer at a 45 degree angle to get the tapered edge off the top then the second pass I flip the trimmer upside down to get the clean edge into the bed.

I can take a photo of what Iam talking about but Iam sure a professional understands what Iam trying to say. Is there a way to do this with one pass?

Hedgemaster
06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I could use some edging tips from the pros. I string trim tons of sunken flower beds each week. It takes me aleast 10 hours to complete on a 50 acre estate. They want the grass tapered off the top edge of the bed with a sharp clean cut edge into the bed with no blades of grass showing. The only way I can do it is with 2 passes, first I run the string trimmer at a 45 degree angle to get the tapered edge off the top then the second pass I flip the trimmer upside down to get the clean edge into the bed.

I can take a photo of what Iam talking about but Iam sure a professional understands what Iam trying to say. Is there a way to do this with one pass?

Dude, I think the room you're looking for is down the hall on the right.

LOL

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM

you need a ryobi. One pull and that sucker will take control of those beds. Its like a possessed edge mastering machine.

wat5150
06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
when my crew is working I like to use my ryobi curved shaft trimmer. Look at the mastery.

avetslawncare
06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
you need a ryobi. One pull and that sucker will take control of those beds. Its like a possessed edge mastering machine.

Billy Goat...Selcts right...if you're using a Stihl or anything other than a Ryobi....put it to the curb, don't even sell it...it's worth nothing.....See....Ryobi has a special feature and the arms and hands will do all the work of the crisp edge, while getting all the standing grass at the same time....it takes a little practice but once you get it down you will be able to run through a 50 acre lot so fast that the beds will be done and the guys will still be pulling the mowers off the trailer....2 things to remember:
1. let the arms do the work
2. make sure your crew is taking care of the other stuff while your arms are doing the work.

Billy Goat
06-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Billy Goat...Selcts right...if you're using a Stihl or anything other than a Ryobi....put it to the curb, don't even sell it...it's worth nothing.....See....Ryobi has a special feature and the arms and hands will do all the work of the crisp edge, while getting all the standing grass at the same time....it takes a little practice but once you get it down you will be able to run through a 50 acre lot so fast that the beds will be done and the guys will still be pulling the mowers off the trailer....2 things to remember:
1. let the arms do the work
2. make sure your crew is taking care of the other stuff while your arms are doing the work.

I have newer shindaiwa trimmer but for some reason I like my older 31cc troy bilt better. The one that has all the attachments. I have both the straight and curved shaft attachments. I believe the ryobi attachments are interchangable with troy bilt. Which model ryobi are you talking about? I would buy it in a heart beat if it will do the job in one pass.

LawnBoy0311
06-27-2013, 05:35 AM
I've had my Ryobi trimmer for a year now. I have also bought every attachment that can go with it, and duct taped them to my curved shaft so I never have to go back to the truck for anything!!!!! Its like I can take on any job thrown at me!!

Hedgemaster
06-27-2013, 08:36 AM
I've had my Ryobi trimmer for a year now. I have also bought every attachment that can go with it, and duct taped them to my curved shaft so I never have to go back to the truck for anything!!!!! Its like I can take on any job thrown at me!!

Time is money. A pro knows how to be efficient.
Keeping all the attachments "on board" is a wise move.

When trimming a property, you never know when you may run across a rouge sidewalk that needs edging, and if a low-hanging branch should impede your progress, just untape the pole pruner, buzz that sucker off., and keep right on going!

wat5150
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Time is money. A pro knows how to be efficient.
Keeping all the attachments "on board" is a wise move.

When trimming a property, you never know when you may run across a rouge sidewalk that needs edging, and if a low-hanging branch should impede your progress, just untape the pole pruner, buzz that sucker off., and keep right on going!

Might you mean rogue my grammatically intense friend?? :D Of course someone could have dropped some rouge on the sidewalk from their make up bag.:eek:

Hedgemaster
06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Might you mean rogue my grammatically intense friend?? :D Of course someone could have dropped some rouge on the sidewalk from their make up bag.:eek:

Smarta$$.

:D

jrayb39667
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
If you duct taped all of your attachments to the curved shaft you could consider it a day long work out too!!! You would have massive biceps and for-arms to make up for your aching back at the end of the day!

CHEESE2009
06-28-2013, 03:15 AM
I want to be cool and post in this thread.

I killed a bee and his sister with my trimmer today (yesterday actually, it's 4:16am), it was a close call.

http://paunchstevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/wicker_4.jpg

wat5150
06-29-2013, 08:46 AM
I want to be cool and post in this thread.

I killed a bee and his sister with my trimmer today (yesterday actually, it's 4:16am), it was a close call.

http://paunchstevenson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/wicker_4.jpg

Cheese maybe you should shoot a video of yourself doing some edge mastering like Mr. Warrior. Only you should be wearing that rubber dong on a chain around your neck. That would be awesome.

forkicks
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM
I have to comment after reading this. yes have seen lots of guys edging with a weed wacker. I have even done it myself on occasion to save time on a small area. But I think that everyone is missing something really important and extremely unsafe. Everyone commented on the operator getting hit in the face with stones and debris but did anyone notice the little kid in the photo watching this? Holy crap what the hell is wrong with this guy for doing this with a kid or kids or for that matter other people standing close by. The only thing this person should be operating is a shopping cart as he collects them from the parking lot. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!

Steve
08-05-2013, 10:56 AM
did anyone notice the little kid in the photo watching this?

I totally missed that and had to load up those pictures again. Very good point.

brian'slawncare
08-05-2013, 11:16 PM
The only thing this person should be operating is a shopping cart as he collects them from the parking lot.

As if we didn't already know this...:D