PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Edging

wat5150
06-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Just started this job. Doing 3 sides of the house. Mulch is next.

wat5150
06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Cant get my pics to load. Too big to attach.

WorkForMySelf
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Cant get my pics to load. Too big to attach.

welcome to my world... I posted pics less than a month ago from my digital camera but now they are too big.. wtf

wat5150
06-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Here they are.

Apex Lawn & Landscape
06-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Nice work! you said mulch next? Are you laying weed barrier? if you dont, give it 3 weeks youlle have a bitchy customer. And I always flip the string trimmer and edge out the bed, get the grass off the edge.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
if pics are too big for this sites default script settings to handle, upload them to your facebook account for your company and share the link here.

are you gonna sell 'em on some bricks to line it?

CHEESE2009
06-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Mulch looks fantastic, but god damn can it ever get messy.

wat5150
06-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Im not a huge fan of weed barriers. Ive done quite a few of these. Around my house too. Weeds grow through the barriers too. I go deep to take out the roots but you eventually have weeds. Yeah the trimmer along the edge works well. But those edges are pretty clean as is. No bricks, these people are very particular and want everything to look as natural as possible. Cheese I work with mulch a lot. It can be messy but what a killer finished product. Just being careful and aware of what your doing saves a lot of cleanup time.

Steve
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Great pics!

How long did it take you to do all the edging? What did you use to edge it?

Keep us posted on how this job progresses!

SECTLANDSCAPING
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Im not a huge fan of weed barriers. Ive done quite a few of these. Around my house too. Weeds grow through the barriers too. I go deep to take out the roots but you eventually have weeds. Yeah the trimmer along the edge works well. But those edges are pretty clean as is. No bricks, these people are very particular and want everything to look as natural as possible. Cheese I work with mulch a lot. It can be messy but what a killer finished product. Just being careful and aware of what your doing saves a lot of cleanup time.

I'm with you on this one. If the customer ask Ill put the barrier in but I have never noticed much difference with or without at. Its real ugly when it begins to show.

wat5150
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Steve the straight edge took about an hour. I used a gas powered edger to do all my straight lines. I still used a pointed spade to do all of my curved lines. The kidney shaped garden took a couple of hours. That was all grass that had to be removed whereas the straight line garden was a mixture of weeds, moss and grass. I will outline my area then use the edger to cut the edge and then take it and cut out the inside of the garden. I will cut the grass or whatever is inside into squares with the edger. Makes for much easier removal. And sect yes the weed barriers end up popping through the mulch sometimes and the look like crap.

CHEESE2009
06-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I agree that when you first lay down fresh mulch, it's a work of art and the beauty pops out at you. You want to unzip your trousers and have a go at it.

I don't like mulch because weeding out of a garden is a little trickier than if it was just earth. I'm also a huge fan of plain/boring looking gardens. :p

I find that river-stone has been the #1 thing I like to use other than earth that looks great. Not a lot of weeds come out in these gardens for some reason - and no weed barrier required either. Strange. Rocks tend to sink EVERY YEAR though, and it gets expensive.

wat5150
06-26-2012, 06:20 PM
I did a lavender garden for a client using pea stone.(Very small crushed limestone). Its the only one Ive done with stone. It came out really nice. Stone is cool...I like it but I am definitely partial to mulch. Weeds are always going to be a problem to some extent. Its all maintenance...which is why we are here!!!!!

Steve
06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
If you could have done the job again, would you do anything differently? Also how did your estimated time for the job compare with your actual job hours?

wat5150
06-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I probably wouldnt do too much different. The time is always tough on these. You never know what may pop up. Just like anything I suppose. I have done edging like this many times so I can calculate fairly decent how long it will take. My first time out I just guessed to be honest. Have nailed it down a lot since then.

wat5150
06-27-2012, 08:33 PM
More pics. Done with edging. Just have to clean out a raised bed then mulch.

Steve
06-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Those are some great pics! You could harness them by using them in your marketing material of on your website.

wat5150
06-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Mulching tomorrow. the clients want natural woodchips(ground up stumps, branches,etc) instead of pine bark or hemlock. They want the informal natural look. Not my cup of tea but whatever, theyre paying the bill.

Hedgemaster
06-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Mulching tomorrow. the clients want natural woodchips(ground up stumps, branches,etc) instead of pine bark or hemlock. They want the informal natural look. Not my cup of tea but whatever, theyre paying the bill.

heh. I hear ya.

At least they aren't asking for RED mulch. BLECH!!!

wat5150
06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
I know. The red dyed mulch is awful.

wat5150
06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Here are some pics of another job I did a while back. I couldnt get a real good shot of the lavender garden with the limestone.

CHEESE2009
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Woodchips attract ants and termites. Clients of mine who have woodchips usually have one or the other.

wat5150
07-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Not much of a termite problem in mid coast Maine. This stuff gets used quite a bit around here. People use it for walkways sometimes. Just rough looking inexpensive stuff. it looks pretty decent when its laid down though.

wat5150
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
More pics of current job. Almost done.

willshome
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
mid coast Maine.

Cool
I lived in Rockland a few years ago

Hedgemaster
07-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Looking pretty nice. It's amazing how much of an improvement new edges and fresh mulch makes.