PDA

View Full Version : Our website

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 02:29 AM
hello friends,

i have been a computer programmer since i was 8 years old and have been doing web work for years.

anyway, i threw this together tonight in about an hour. i am hosting it on my own computer. it's all basic html, no frills, no gimmicks, so it should run pretty fast. let me know what you think! let me know how responsive it is, too, please.

http://www.weekendwarriorlawn.tk/

Liberty Landscaping LLC
06-23-2012, 04:26 AM
In the top box it says Port Hirlton, ML instead of MI... when other people read it they catch the oops fast I had a typo read it three times thpught it was fine the better half picked right up on mine.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 04:54 AM
i dont see what you or better half is referring to.

it doesnt say that anywhere. no thread-jacking allowed.

wat5150
06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
It loads fast. Very responsive. Not a fan of the term mom and pop. Also the thing about guys doing $20 worth of work for beer money......not necessary. Let your work stand for itself. Badmouthing on your website is bad business IMO.

Hedgemaster
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
... We respect the wishes of our clients to remove images of their properties at their request. Your lawn may or may not make it into the gallery. Your name or personal information such as address, etc. will never be published with these photos.

I don't like this - at all.

Perhaps leave this out entirely, or ask permission before posting pics of their homes.

"Your lawn may or may not make it into the gallery." = "Your lawn looks like crap, so you won't find a photo of it here".
If nothing else, remove the "negative" line.

Services

One-time services:

Emergency Cleanup
Is your lawn over grown and out of control? Is the city bothering you with blight notices or threats to charge you to mow the yard? Do you have the equipment to service your yard, but are disabled, ill or simply don't have the time to get the job done?

No matter what your emergency is, or the circumstances behind it, we can help! Weather you just need to have the yard mowed, or need full service of weeds, edging & grass overgrowth maintenance, we can help you with your one-time problem.

Contracted Services:
Contracted services save you time, money & give you peace of mind knowing that what you need to be done, will get done on time, every time. From recurring full service plans, to recurring yard cleanup, your request becomes our duty, and we will fulfill your needs promptly every month.

I suggest reversing the order - Place "Contracted Services" first. (Unless you want to focus on "crap jobs")

Our contract is desgined only to protect us and to define services being done as not to have any confusion later on behalf of our clients.

"Designed" is a typo.

Also, I would SERIOUSLY consider removing the "to protect us" portion.

Agree with removing the entire section talking about "beer money".

You want to have them read "positive" things. Even if the "negative" is regarding someone else, it cheapens the feel of an otherwise "positive" read.

CHEESE2009
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm using Google Chrome.

I really like the layout and the choice of colors!

I'll do my best to critic your site in order to help you, without being a douche LOL. Just tryin to help.

General
1. To start, I'm just curious as to why you didn't use html5?

2. You should get a favicon.ico

3. Just to test, try adding some top-padding to the header image. I think it would look better separated from my search bar :p but it's not that big of an issue.

4. The footer links are inactive. Facebook | Contact Us | F.A.Q

5. The border around your header,nav,content,footer should be darker, instead of a light blue.

Text
1. In places (buttons) where you put "F.A.Q." you should remove the '.' after Q so that it looks like "F.A.Q" instead of "F.A.Q.".

2. For example, on the services page there are several paragraphs, spruce them up by boldening each option, it helps to read and separate text.

Pages
1. You should change the page titles to "Weekend Warrior Lawns, Port Huron, ML" instead of "Welcome", "Services" etc...

2. Remove the gallery page completely if you don't plan on creating one, and if it just references facebook.

3. Why not add a map of your service location to your contact page for those who are more visual? Or you can just remove the page entirely, and add a map to your Welcome page.

3.2 Later, you should have your contact information on every page, regardless if the header images uses it (you might change it to another photo).

4. You should have a page dedicated to displaying a list of services that branch off into their own pages.
Services > Lawn Maint > Lawn Maint Page (description, photos, etc).
Services > Snow Rem > Snow Rem Page (description, photos, etc).

-

Overall
Like Hedgemaster said, not a big fan of focusing in on 'mom and pop', to me personally, it takes away the aura of success from a company.

I understand your aim, and it might work... but showing that you are a family man etc picture with your really adorable kid, I just don't know about that being beneficial.

I would remove anything that is negative. When we vote for political leaders, the ones who are talking bad about their opponents .... we tend to think little of them regardless if what they say is true or not. You want your site to be positive and nothing less!

I see that you offer grass seed packets, cds, and a sprinkler for free for every client who signs a contract. Do they receive all of these items, or must they select just one? I like the idea, but I can see this becoming expensive no?

WorkForMySelf
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I think you will get more jiggalo requests with that picture of your sexy self puttings one leg up on that mower that anything else.....

CHEESE2009
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I think you will get more jiggalo requests with that picture of your sexy self puttings one leg up on that mower that anything else.....

it could always be worse

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 03:16 PM
great tips, guys!

why didn't i work it out in html5? i just cranked this out in an hour or so, real basic like. maybe someday i'll get more adventerous and update it.

the blue outline border: yes, needs to go. i just didn't want to spend anymore time on it.

reversing contracted vs emergency srvices, great idea. yes, agree totally.

beer money stuff, eventually i'll drop it.

porotect us part of contract line in faq: yes, i agree, it will be removed. simplified. best not to give too much info, i reckon.

other tips all around, good stuff guys. glad the site was responsive and that you all think it's way better than your sites. :D

Apex Lawn & Landscape
06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
You say professional and I don't doubt that but your picture with the "broom" is not professional.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 03:37 PM
it's just some gear. i actually take a rake and garden hoe to some jobs. i still pack the blower/etc. i just through that picture together real quick one day weeks and weeks back. that was a long job and i was just happy to have it done.

i have heard around here that the picture made me look like i had a can-do attitude, and it looked good. i think steve said that.

i do want better pictures though, i did feel kind of silly with a broom, but what-ever. i want pictures of my whole crew eventually. by the end of this season i'll have better pics.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 03:39 PM
i still need pictures with my new shirts. polo's. the old v-neck tee's are reserved for my assistants now.

at the end of the day though, this site is to start a web presence online. no site is ever complete, especially in the changing realm of business. pictures and other things need constant revisions. this still puts me quite ahead of the other guys in town, working for beer money.

thom
06-23-2012, 04:06 PM
hello friends,

i have been a computer programmer since i was 8 years old and have been doing web work for years.

anyway, i threw this together tonight in about an hour. i am hosting it on my own computer. it's all basic html, no frills, no gimmicks, so it should run pretty fast. let me know what you think! let me know how responsive it is, too, please.

http://www.weekendwarriorlawn.tk/

If I wanted to build a simple web site, and host it myself,what sort of "stuff" would I need,and where would I get this stuff?

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
first and foremost, you need to make sure your ISP has ports open for you to host. port 80 is what webservers operate on, however you can reconfigure them if your port 80 is blocked or closed.

to find out if your ports are open, go to http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 test your ports by clicking "all service ports" most internet providers leave ports open these days. comcast in my area does, as does ATT DSL.

if your ports are open and not stealth or closed, you are good to continue.

windows actually has support for hosting ASP/HTML built in.

i run apache web server (php/html) on a windows XP machine. next however i am setting up my old junkjer computer and installing a freebsd server or linux server with no GUI (no windows, just a dos like mode) this will reserve more ram and cpu usage for hosting the website making it more responsive when i get intomore advanced drupal sites and stuff agian.

websites are hosted via software components called servers. you can download all in one apache server installer packs. look for things called XAMMP or LAMMP on google.

setup your server software. you may have to look through youtube tutorials or google forum tutorials for help getting it up and going. be prepared, it culd take a day or so if you are not technically inclined. it is possible though, i taught myself everything i know, years ago. just stick with it if you decide to get into it.

once you have your server setup, you will have to install your website script or start writing html by hand or using dreamweaver or another web site builder.

once you have a site setup, you need to start getting your server "live" on the internet. this isnb't too hard, and there are plenty of youtube tutorials about it, i can also help when you get that far down the road.

you can setup a free domain name at dot tk (.tk) like i use until you decide you are stable enough to go with a dot com, net, ws, etc.

get started and when you need some help i can offer assistance.

thom
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
first and foremost, you need to make sure your ISP has ports open for you to host. port 80 is what webservers operate on, however you can reconfigure them if your port 80 is blocked or closed.

to find out if your ports are open, go to http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 test your ports by clicking "all service ports" most internet providers leave ports open these days. comcast in my area does, as does ATT DSL.

if your ports are open and not stealth or closed, you are good to continue.

windows actually has support for hosting ASP/HTML built in.

i run apache web server (php/html) on a windows XP machine. next however i am setting up my old junkjer computer and installing a freebsd server or linux server with no GUI (no windows, just a dos like mode) this will reserve more ram and cpu usage for hosting the website making it more responsive when i get intomore advanced drupal sites and stuff agian.

websites are hosted via software components called servers. you can download all in one apache server installer packs. look for things called XAMMP or LAMMP on google.

setup your server software. you may have to look through youtube tutorials or google forum tutorials for help getting it up and going. be prepared, it culd take a day or so if you are not technically inclined. it is possible though, i taught myself everything i know, years ago. just stick with it if you decide to get into it.

once you have your server setup, you will have to install your website script or start writing html by hand or using dreamweaver or another web site builder.

once you have a site setup, you need to start getting your server "live" on the internet. this isnb't too hard, and there are plenty of youtube tutorials about it, i can also help when you get that far down the road.

you can setup a free domain name at dot tk (.tk) like i use until you decide you are stable enough to go with a dot com, net, ws, etc.

get started and when you need some help i can offer assistance.

The page says "shields up".

wat5150
06-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Hey Im not trying to poke fun but in the picture on the website it looks as though the bottom end of your trimmer is backward?? Sorry dude but that is funny!!!!

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-23-2012, 06:47 PM
it's not backwards. i use the trimmer for edging. the guard was facing upwards to protect my face from flying debris.

you'll figure it out sometime.

thom, feel free to PM me here for help on your website work. i will send you my email addy from there.

thom
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
it's not backwards. i use the trimmer for edging. the guard was facing upwards to protect my face from flying debris.

thom, feel free to PM me here for help on your website work. i will send you my email addy from there.

Sounds good, I'll git to it when I have time.

WorkForMySelf
06-23-2012, 07:05 PM
@thom
Godaddy.com and use the "website tonite" takes about a hour for a basic site and its not wonderful but I highly recommend it as a starter site

wat5150
06-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Oh wow. Sorry Mr. Warrior!! I never would have thought to use that ryobi as an edger!! My mistake. No hard feelings!!! Great job.

wandfsmall
06-24-2012, 07:24 PM

he does bring up a point as to how your customers will view the picture. Most of them will not think of that but some might notice that it does not look correct. Just something to think about.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
do you guys know how to edge with a weedwhacker?

dpld
06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
as the old saying goes " if you don't have anything good to say, don't say nothing at all " holds true to web sites and business propaganda.

whenever you put anything together and release it to the general population it should always convey nothing but the utmost professional image and if you do things all willy nilly and just slap something together because you don't have the time or just don't feel like doing anymore you are better off not having anything at all until you can take the time to do it right.

for someone who wants a private forum so people ( clients ) can not see some of the things you write why would you just slap up a web site that will be permanent record till the end of time?

you can edit it all you like and change it a million times and even start a new web site, but every version you put out there will be available and all i need to do is google weekend warrior to find it if that were your webs name.

i am not knocking you or making judgement i am only offering a personal critique to better aid you and there were some things you did nice but in the end of the day the only thing that will stand out and be rememberd and inspire that individual to take it to the next level with you is the image you convey.

WeekendWarriorLawn
06-26-2012, 01:45 AM
are you referring to the beer money part of the site? do you not feel it's realistic to say that people willing to say they do it all for 20.00 aren't looking only for beer money, and that a client should expect poor work from such individuals?

the reasoning behind a private forum area is to be able to discuss private matters, like quoting, contracting, etc. in my mind. nothing more. if people find me here talking about beer money beggars or communism thats fine.

Hedgemaster
06-26-2012, 08:06 AM
There's a "rule" in advertising.

If it isn't helping your ad, it's hurting it.

If something (any element of the ad) doesn't have a very good reason for being there, get rid of it.

Focus on the positives. Just mentioning the word "beer" AT ALL is an incredibly "negative" thing in a so-called "professional" ad. (unless you're selling beer, of course)
There are better ways of saying that you are a professional than mentioning the hacks. Leave the hacks out of it - focus on YOU.

And replace the main photo when possible because it conflicts with your statements of being "professional" and having a "uniformed crew" - you aren't wearing a uniform.

dpld
06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
are you referring to the beer money part of the site? do you not feel it's realistic to say that people willing to say they do it all for 20.00 aren't looking only for beer money, and that a client should expect poor work from such individuals?

the reasoning behind a private forum area is to be able to discuss private matters, like quoting, contracting, etc. in my mind. nothing more. if people find me here talking about beer money beggars or communism thats fine.

regardless of what people are charging and what they are working for it is not good practice to point others out as well as tell people what to look out for.

with the name weekend warrior for your business you too can be mistaken as a beer money worker.

if a client chooses a hack to do their work they need to see and find out first hand that he does crap work so they can feel the pain of the hack and see what paying less gets them.
it may be a little harder to initially sell the job and prove your worth after the hack but when they see the difference they will be pleased and less resistant to your service.

and if they keep the hack then they are letting their wallet do the decision making.

i understand what you are getting at with the private forum but with that said i still feel it is not needed and your own web site can send more of a positive or negitive impact on your image as a business then this or any forum ever could.
by typeing in your business name in a search your web site will be the first thing that pops up to them.

i use the initials of my business name for this site and no where would the initials of my business on the web lead you to my business.
that is what i would suggest someone do if privacy was a concern or just use a made up name.