PDA

View Full Version : Using personal residence as address for google places

w0283767
06-20-2012, 11:54 AM
I am working on my website and trying to optimize on google places. I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys do for business address. I have narrowed it down to using a business address service which is pretty cheap and can give me a physical sounding address in the center of town instead of a po box. My concern is that if I used my personal residence as my address in these listings is that I could potentially be placing a target on my back if competition was to become angry with me and vandalize something. Am I going overboard or do you think better safe than sorry? I plan on doing business honestly
But after reading about vets experience I am concerned. You never know what people will do these days.

shadrach
06-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Using your address but not having it show in google places is an option. Google will senda letter there to verify the address. I don't think you can sign up with a PO.Box, but that may have changed.

Hedgemaster
06-20-2012, 04:09 PM
For my Google Places listing, I indicated my service area rather than listing my address.

I have no interest in advertising my personal residence info. (Even though it could be figured out easily enough)

CHEESE2009
06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
The last thing you want is for clients to start ringing your doorbell.

It is the most ANNOYING thing ever.

I have clients ring my doorbell to ask when I'm coming to cut their lawn, etc... You eliminate all of your freedom.

somewhat related;

To this date, I have people who call my number who already know my name... and I haven't posted it anywhere!!! It's creepy man!

w0283767
06-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Haha that is creepy! I just looked at it again and figured out how to hide address. Thanks guys.

Grass Doctor
06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
u can rent a store unit and put the that address

Steve
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
I also wonder if the local town bureaucrats have gotten to the point where they will look up on google maps to help them enforce township zoning lawns.

jsslawncare
06-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I use my home address and haven't had any problems. A few customers have even brought me money that was owed. No problems for me.

Steve
06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
If you had the option of not using the google places or using it with your home address, which one would you choose?

Hedgemaster
06-29-2012, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't use it. I'd work harder on web optimization.

Steve
07-02-2012, 11:20 AM
So ultimately, its the web optimization that is the most important part of it and that can be done without giving away a home address.

Very good point.

Hedgemaster
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
So ultimately, its the web optimization that is the most important part of it and that can be done without giving away a home address.

Very good point.

Well, in my case, my website isn't complete, and I don't show up in searches unless using my name.

My Google Places listing DOES show up when doing general "lawn care" searches and I've gotten calls as a result.

I need to fix that.

lawn Stylist
07-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Go to a UPS store, you can get a street address with a site # not a PO box #

Hedgemaster
07-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Need another reason to NOT publicize your home address?

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=16862