PDA

View Full Version : Property Damage

Gardnerlawn
06-19-2012, 06:17 PM
The other day I had a small mulch project (about 4 yards) at a customerís house. I had my 4 yards of mulch delivered through a local guy who I have used in the past, He came and dumped the mulch however he scraped the rim of the basketball hoop in the customerís driveway slightly bending the hoop.

The customer came home soon after the dump truck driver left only looking at the minimal damage to the hoop. The customer told me that he wanted the hoop replaced so I called my mulch guy and explained that the customer wanted the hoop fixed. He called the customer and explained that he had the same hoop at his house and he would come by and replace the bent one. However the customer later called me and said he wanted a new hoop not a used one (even though his hoop was used). Am I responsible for this or should I tell this customer to take it up with the dump truck driver?

willshome
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Dump the customer after this is done if there going to be like this. I could see if they want to see the used one first to see if it is in good shape but to say it most be new.

Hedgemaster
06-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Thinking as a client:

I hired YOU, not the delivery guy. You are ultimately responsible.

Replace my damaged property please. How you settle up with the other guy is of no concern to me.

shadrach
06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
How does delivery guy have customers phone number? He should have to deal with you, not customer.

If its just the rim that is bent, the buy a new one & split the cost with delivery guy. Delivery guy is responsible but that does not matter at this point. You have to make it right with customer.

bruces
06-19-2012, 08:11 PM
replace the hoop ,they throw the old one through the delivery guy's picture window .

Hedgemaster
06-19-2012, 08:54 PM
How is expecting damaged property to be replaced "petty"?

CHEESE2009
06-20-2012, 06:15 AM
lol... a basketball hoop... really?

Ok, here's what you do.

Bill your client with the added $1 to replace the hoop, and tell the client to move the damn thing next time or else you aint gonna do sheit.

You should actually stop working, and look around the property and ask the client to remove anything that could be damaged, even if there is a 1% chance... :P

Ask the client to remove solar lights from the gardens, cars from the driveway, etc. Hahahaha!

-

I can assume that this client is a female soccer mom with nothing better to do, am I right? Either that or someone with a little Jew in them.

-

record your calls for this client, can never be too safe!

Gardnerlawn
06-20-2012, 06:31 AM
[QUOTE=shadrach;109915]How does delivery guy have customers phone number? He should have to deal with you, not customer.

I originally called the delivery guy and told him the situation and the delivery guy said he would call the customer and work it out.

JeffK26
06-20-2012, 07:32 AM
I don't understand how the customer is the bad guy in this scenario at all. He had something damaged on his property. His request is not unreasonable nor petty.

The contractor pays for the new hoop, installs it with apologies. Then the contractor either eats the cost, or goes after the sub contractor for half or full reimbursement. The homeowner's role in this scenario is already a bigger part than it should be.

HPI_Savage25
06-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I would just replace the hoop and move on.

A few months ago I was out doing a yard and got done, pulled up to my next yard and was about to get started. My phone rang and it was from the last yard I had just done. She said her bird was going crazy on the back porch and wasnt sure why. Well about 45minutes later she saw a crack/hole in one of the windows on the porch.

I finished my yard up that I was on and drove straight back over to the house, took pictures of everything. I made a few phones calls and had a guy over to give an estimate the next day and the day after his window was replaced. In the end still a very happy customer to this day. Only request I had was that the one window a rock must have hit from weed eating, was not covered with a screen. I requested he put a screen on it to prevent it from happening again. He agreed.

CHEESE2009
06-20-2012, 11:18 AM
I had a client complain because I mowed over a flower she planted dead center of her lawn.

She stopped me, then I told her it looked stupid, and for her to keep her plants in the garden to avoid situations like this. :)

stevef1201
06-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Thinking as a client:

I hired YOU, not the delivery guy. You are ultimately responsible.

Replace my damaged property please. How you settle up with the other guy is of no concern to me.

very true, thats life

Steve
06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Keep us posted on how this turns out.

stevef1201
06-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I had a customer who called me the day I mowed his lawn, and said that I broke one of his gates. (I Dont think so), but he said he was sure it was OK the night before. So I went to Lowes and got the peice to fix the gate, fixed it. Cost 4 dollars for the part 1 hour running around getting the part and fixing the damn gate. I have made over 3000 dollars from this customer!!!!!! a good hour and 4 bucks. I would have lost this guy if I had argued over the gate. Also he has given me about 9000 dollars in refferals.

Never argue with a customer, say gee i am sorry, I will have if fixed TODAY! then go fix it, a feww buks and a little time will make you a fortune.

JeffK26
06-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Its a 2-3 dollar part.... the driver should of just changed it before anyone even noticed it was broken if anything but for the customer to throw a **** fit over it is even more.. I have a feeling that someone taking something this minor so serious, will find many many more complaints in the future

Actually the cheapest hoop is 20 bucks, but you don't know what kind he had, if it was a breakaway rim then those can go for as much as 200 bucks....and yes, that's only for the rim, not the whole setup.

You're only assuming the customer threw a "****fit". The original post says nothing of his mood or level of fit throwing.

Fix something behind the customer's back without letting him know his property was damaged and that as the least they should do? WOW. what happens when the guy notices it's not the original part? Now the company not only damages his property, they're dishonest and try to hide it as well.

Gardnerlawn
06-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Today I went to the customer and told him if he wanted I would reimburse him for a new rim. He told me he looked online for it and it was $90 for the part and shipping I said fine and asked him for a receipt when he ordered it and I would cut him a check.

I then called my mulch guy and told him what I did and he said he would give me a deal on my next order of mulch.

I just took care of the situation myself just for piece of mind the customer was happy and asked for a few of my business cards for referrals. My mulch guy was happy because he is repaying me in mulch rather than cash and I am happy because the issue was resolved and I can continue the week without thinking about it.

Thanks for all the replies!

JeffK26
06-21-2012, 08:06 AM
the driver should of just changed it before anyone even noticed it was broken if anything

Yes that is dishonest

I broke a picket on a fence and replaced it.. When i saw the customer I told them that i broke a picket but its already taken care of.. You are only assuming.

that is not dishonest.

I was not assuming anything. I did not say you were dishonest, i was saying a company that takes the advice you stated would be dishonest, and they would be. The original statement was in fact stating to fix it without anyone noticing if he would even fix it at all. The example you gave about yourself states you told the customer, the total opposite of the advice you gave. It's apples and oranges.

CHEESE2009
06-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I got you a new hoop!

http://designyoutrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Hadas-Shaham-new-collection-2012-birch-wood-square-bracelet.jpg

Steve
06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
LOL or you could always go with this.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln026w8jk01qctkcl.jpg

Hedgemaster
06-21-2012, 09:36 PM
We're all wired differently.

I wouldn't replace anything until I discussed it with the owner first.

JeffK26
06-21-2012, 10:18 PM
we are talking about a basketball hoop.. in my personal case a fence picket.. not their grandmothers ashes.. its not dishonest to go ahead and replace something somewhat insignificant and either mention it latter or leave a note.. its actually better than waiting for a potential negative reaction.

No, we are talking about a client's PROPERTY. Whether it's a $1 solar light from home depot,a $20 basketball hoop or the "grandmother's ashes" it's the PROPERTY of someone that PAYS YOU MONEY to take care of THEIR stuff.

The original post stated for the driver to replace the hoop before anyone noticed, IF THAT. That statement means, replace it before anyone notices or don't do anything at all. It simply cannot mean anything else BUT that.

You stated one thing, which is dishonest advice. Then try to cover it up by saying you meant to say something else. Based on your original "argument" I am right, but if you want to continue adding things to try to make me wrong, then you're only going to end up agreeing with me.

A client pays us to take care of their property. If we damage said property, it is now OUR responsibility to let the client know as soon as possible of the damage. It is not up to us to degrade the customer on being picky, petty or a pain in the ***.

Integrity is calling the homeowner immediately letting them know what happened and to get back to you on THEIR time to come to a resolution. It's not taking care of it how you want to and then telling them how you handled the situation because it's good for you.

A picky customer is someone that wants you to do more than what the contract states, a petty customer is someone that agrees to the contract and then whines that you don't pick weeds out of their bed, a PITA customer is someone that doesn't pay on time, wants to talk for 2 hours before and after you cut the lawn. A customer that gets property damaged because of the contractor's actions is none of those. He is a customer that wants his sh*t fixed because it is the contractor's fault. It's really quite simple. It may be just a basketball hoop to you, but to him it may 2 hours at the end of the day with his son.....it's 10 days of shooting with his son that is on leave from Iraq..... Don't assume that something insignificant to you is insignificant to others, especially if that other is a client that pays you money to do a job correctly without mistakes.

JeffK26
06-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Lol if its that important to you to win then, you win. Call everytime you bump the weed eater and damage the grass (cause the edges to retreat from around the house, stone etc) everytime you are fighting with their lousy gate and it sags a little more after you are done boxing with it to get your mower in the back yard (so you can buy a new gate) and let him see the broken picket before you go to homedepot and fix it so he has the option to ask for that whole section to rebuilt because the new picket "wont be weathered and will look different for a few months" lol

P.S. if his son is visiting him from Iraq for a few days and the hoop is not an exact match... I think they will still enjoy one anothers company and have a long lasting positive memory.

It's not about winning, it's about being right and doing a good job and from this last post, you sir, are not doing it right.............

I don't bump my weedeater on the grass, a 12 year old kid MIGHT do that once, then realize it damages the grass, then won't do it again, he'll take the 10 seconds and go to the closest concrete to tap, not hit it. Plus if you're doing it correctly, ya don't have to bump the trimmer for line all that much.

If you trim correctly with a weedeater the grass won't retreat from the house, sidewalks or any kind of stonework or retaining walls. The secret on sidewalks is after edging with an edger, you take the weedeater, tilt it on end then run the weedeater where the cord, wire or what ya want to call it is actually running on the edge of the sidewalk rather than in the groove the edger makes, that way erosion doesn't make that groove wider and wider, and wider.....

I also don't "box" a gate to open it. After all the customer paid money for that gate, for me to hit it with my mower to keep it open would be the same as some dipwad kid coming along and kick it for no good reason, you seriously hit gates with your mower? seriously?

I thought you may be a decent worker and there was a misunderstanding, which happens on forums because font doesn't define the mood, but after reading this last post with the shortcuts you take it's too bad you're not in my area. Bumping gates to open and keep them open, bumping the trimmer in the lawn to get more string trimming to the point grass creeps away from a home or lawn decorations.......yeesh...my clients wouldn't tolerate that after one mowing. Well one of my clients would, but even though they would tolerate it, with me, they don't have to.

CHEESE2009
06-22-2012, 07:13 AM
http://www.adrants.com/images/panteneblond_boobs.jpg

^ boobies.